Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
TPMS sensors inside the tire or on the valve stems - Which is better?

I know there have been countless discussions about TPMS and I almost bought a TST system recently with external sensors, but I haven’t seen this aspect of the topic discussed, other than vulnerability to theft, which I’m not worried about.

Im about to get new tires so if inside-the-tire sensors are better now is the time to find out.

Also if this is the case which brand(s) are preferred, and why?

Thanks and my apologies if I missed this aspect of this topic in earlier discussions.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #2

Not familiar with inside sensors but how do you change their batteries?
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:23 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Not familiar with inside sensors but how do you change their batteries?
Supposed to last as long as the tire but if I’m going 7 years that could be pushing it.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

On the valve stems for me. YMMV...-Paul
Old 07-11-2021, 04:24 AM   #5

On the valve EEZRV TPMS works well on my rig. I have sensors on the Malibu and I didn't need a repeater. If you purchase EEZ sensor kit, program them with the sensors on the vehicle as it is much easier and faster.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #6

I have used TST for past 6 years. My 2 cents worth:

External Cons:

Susceptible to water intrusion from degraded or lost o rings (replaced all after 3 years)

Batteries last about 18 months ( I now change all mine every spring)

One additional joint in the system that could leak.

Non flow though require removal to adjust air pressure.

External Pros:

Accessible with out removing tire and rim.

Can be transferred to another vehicle/coach (have done this twice)

For me if internal batteries would last 7-8 years that would be the way to go (the internals on my 2017 Jeep are still working, doubt they will make 7 years ). No maintenance required, easier to use. Would be more likely to use if full timing in a DP that I planned to keep for 7+ years.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:38 AM   #7

The externally-mounted don’t accurately report tire temps. They are always within a few degrees of ambient temperature

Dave
JDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm also in the market for a good TPMS for my coach and toad. My tires have date codes less than 2 years old, so not time to change the tires yet. If I were changing tires, I would check into the internal systems. Internal systems have been successfully used for at least the last 8 or 10 years in cars and trucks with no problems. On our Chevy Equinox toad, new sensors were installed when I had new tires installed. I asked the dealer how long the batteries last, and was told that I would need new tires before I needed new batteries. I don't have either system yet, but I would think the internal systems would perform well and would have fewer potential problems.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had TST for many years, also have had EEZ TPMS. I agree with this post earlier “EEZ sensor kit, program them with the sensors on the vehicle as it is much easier and faster”. I now use TST with flow-through sensors with the color monitor. I have found the color monitor is much easier to read, now that EEZ has a color monitor, if I was looking for a TPMS it would be a hard decision on which to use. I am seriously think about going to internal sensors the next time I get new tires.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
So far most of what I’ve seen are exterior mounted sensors. Are there preferred brands that have internal sensors? I’d like to look at a few. TST seems to be well regarded and has an internal sensor kit but the sensors mounts with a giant hose clamp affair around the center of the rim. Seems like this would cause a balancing issue. Are they all mounted like that?
Old 07-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #11

The main thing that will affect tire temperature is tire pressure. I have had the TST system for 10+ years. If the parameter limits are set correctly, the pressure alarm will give plenty of notice of a problem developing before a tire failure. If a leak occurs, the low pressure alarm will alert the operator of the problem. I had one instance where the valve stem of a trailer tire blew off. With all of the weight on that side of the trailer on the remaining tire, it's pressure increased rapidly due to the overload and the high pressure alarm sounded. I stopped, put on the spare and drove on. If I have an issue with a sensor, it's easy to change. Not sure how I would deal with and internal sensor problem.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The main thing that will affect tire temperature is tire pressure. I have had the TST system for 10+ years. If the parameter limits are set correctly, the pressure alarm will give plenty of notice of a problem developing before a tire failure. If a leak occurs, the low pressure alarm will alert the operator of the problem. I had one instance where the valve stem of a trailer tire blew off. With all of the weight on that side of the trailer on the remaining tire, it's pressure increased rapidly due to the overload and the high pressure alarm sounded. I stopped, put on the spare and drove on. If I have an issue with a sensor, it's easy to change. Not sure how I would deal with and internal sensor problem.
Your post about TST giving a warning about a slow leak was right on, just returned from a 4500-mile trip. Outside of Dallas got a warning about low tire pressure, pulled into a safe place to check the tire. I could not find where the tire was leaking, added air to bring back up to correct level, then headed for our next stop. I won’t go into all the details on trying to fix the slow leak. The bottom line I had to get the tire replaced. I am very thankful for the warning from TST without it, the outcome might have been way different.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
Your post about TST giving a warning about a slow leak was right on, just returned from a 4500-mile trip. Outside of Dallas got a warning about low tire pressure, pulled into a safe place to check the tire. I could not find where the tire was leaking, added air to bring back up to correct level, then headed for our next stop. I won’t go into all the details on trying to fix the slow leak. The bottom line I had to get the tire replaced. I am very thankful for the warning from TST without it, the outcome might have been way different.

Internal or external, TPMS is worth having in my opinion.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
At this point I‘m beginning to think that it doesn’t matter if the internal sensors are more accurate (temp or pressure) than external sensors because what you are really concerned with is a change in pressure, or a significant variation in temp.

So that being the case and of course all the other reasons given, I’ll probably just opt for externals. This will also allow me to do it now rather than wait for new tires, which is probably a good idea as these tires are entering their last year of service.

Tags
ems, tpms, valve