Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
TPMS Using a smart phone or iPad as display

Would like to install a TPMS system but don't want to mount another monitor on my dash. Anyone aware of a TPMS system that will display to a smart phone?

Rod K.
2003 HR Navigator
rodkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Tireminder has a bluetooth system that makes use of smartphone to display.
https://www.minderresearch.com/tirem...-transmitters/
Old 05-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pressure Pro FX is also smart phone based.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thx and I really like your car.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

I use the TireMinder Smart TPMS system. I'm using it on a 42 1/2' Momentum Toy Hauler, but it shouldn't be any different being used on a Motorhome. Capability of monitoring 22 different tires for both temperature and pressure and will alert you of several different scenarios....sudden loss of pressure, over temperature, low pressure, etc. I've had mine since 2017 and on two different trailers and the app on my Android phone. Once you are connected, you can put the phone in sleep mode (not turned off....just sleeping) and it is still functional.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

I have pressure pro with the stand alone monitor, not connected to my cell phone. I believe the ability to monitor tire pressures are to important to leave to a cell phone with their inherent issues, like opps, the volume accidentally got turned off, ran out of battery power, blue tooth got accidentally disconnected, got a phone call during an alert, etc.
But that's me. YMMV.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Another concern I have about the TPMS issue are the tire sensors. The sensors I have on my car are installed inside the rim as part of the valve stem and have lasted for years. The RV sensors I've used in the past screw onto the valve stem and have batteries that constantly need to be replaced. In addition the weight of the sensor on the end of the valve stem can cause the value stem to rotate and are in general a pain in the butt. Why don't RV TPMS systems use the integrated valve stem units?
Old 05-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

X2. I like the idea of the little TPMS monitor right in my line of sight rather than having to reach/find/etc for a cellphone or Ipad. But, even using a different response method for a TPMS is still better than not having one

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I have pressure pro with the stand alone monitor, not connected to my cell phone. I believe the ability to monitor tire pressures are to important to leave to a cell phone with their inherent issues, like opps, the volume accidentally got turned off, ran out of battery power, blue tooth got accidentally disconnected, got a phone call during an alert, etc.
But that's me. YMMV.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodkling View Post
The sensors I have on my car are installed inside the rim as part of the valve stem and have lasted for years. The RV sensors I've used in the past screw onto the valve stem and have batteries that constantly need to be replaced. In addition the weight of the sensor on the end of the valve stem can cause the value stem to rotate and are in general a pain in the butt.
I have never had any of the problems you describe here. I do change my sensor batteries once per year and I leave them on the RV all the time. I remove them from the toad if I happen to think about it but I don't stress over it. We've been in the same spot for a month now and the sensors are still on the toad.

If you put your TPMS read out on the your phone how are you going to display your Waze, OBDII, music play list and Google satellite pix? I have 8 different displays and it's nice to be able to scan them all without having to punch any buttons.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I have pressure pro with the stand alone monitor, not connected to my cell phone. I believe the ability to monitor tire pressures are to important to leave to a cell phone with their inherent issues, like oops, the volume accidentally got turned off, ran out of battery power, blue tooth got accidentally disconnected, got a phone call during an alert, etc.
But that's me. YMMV.
It's not just you, trust me.

I would never have a safety-related system connected solely to a phone or other mobile device. Safety-related apps running on a general purpose operating system also introduces another variable I will live without.

Ray
Old 05-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with Ray and others in that I would never use a phone for a safety related monitor. Same reasons. I do use my iPhone for things like propane tank level display, etc. I just do not like the idea of having everything tied to a phone just because it can be done.

Like I do not like the idea of a dash mounted radio/DVD player also being my rear view monitor and GPS, etc. Frequently, when I need a GPS direction I also need a clear view of the rear traffic, like an unexpected lane change. There's also the point that if one device fails you've lost multiple displays.

I really like having my rear view monitor mounted where the normal rear view mirror would be. Already some place I'm accustomed to looking for rear end traffic and not such a large change for my eyes, from road to dash in tight spot.

At least that's my opinions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, tpms