Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #15

To add to Winemaker... I thought I had found (and sealed) mine - leaks on all four corners of the cap/roof joints. The LR joint was not secure ..of course, I found I had not done a good job ...inspecting it after a recent 3-5" rain event.

Jeez! ...a common cabinet maker or amateur boat builder would have devised a better joint?! I stuffed the void with 5mm wetsuit neoprene, then resealed with Eternabond, rather than caulk.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Void3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	203778  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #16

Wow, I think you have a structural issue there. I don't think caulk or eternabond will be a permanent solution for that gap. It looks like the corner needs to be secured and stabilized first.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #17

Wetstuff
I had some issues getting it sealed as well. Friends truck shop found the leak source w ultrasonic leak detector but hus caulk didnt seal completely. I dug it all out and resealed w 3M 5200 and never had a problem.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #18

Grinder... a 'Structural' management and design dept. problem.

Winemaker... '5200' is what you use when you sentence something to death. I remember when lotsa people in the boat industry were using it - UNTIL - they discovered they needed to practically destroy the two pieces that had been joined. (in this case - probably a good idea! Yet, had I used 5200 - at a later date - it could introduce a crack in that thin roof.)

I will keep one good eye on the issue. I like the flexibility of both the neoprene and Flexibond.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Grinder... a 'Structural' management and design dept. problem.

Winemaker... '5200' is what you use when you sentence something to death. I remember when lotsa people in the boat industry were using it - UNTIL - they discovered they needed to practically destroy the two pieces that had been joined. (in this case - probably a good idea! Yet, had I used 5200 - at a later date - it could introduce a crack in that thin roof.)

I will keep one good eye on the issue. I like the flexibility of both the neoprene and Flexibond.

Jim
I do agree... 5200 is permanent but I never planned or had to remove any of those pieces. Also didn't have any breakage... maybe just lucky.
I have seen a broken boat transom where owner tried to remove a swim platform w force vs cutting the 5200 free. Expensive mistake.
I have moved to 4200 or 4000 on several boat projects. My favorite has become butyl tape where possible.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We got lucky when we bought our coach. I knew we wanted a fiberglass or aluminum roof, but I didn't really think about how the roof was attached to the end cap. Our Monaco has a one piece roof that fits over the top of the front and rear cap so the seam is vertical instead of horizontal and the top overlaps the side walls.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
TPO roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Guy View Post
Good morning from a newbie! Looking at finally purchasing our first Class A. Question...fiberglass roof or TPO roof??? We have it narrowed down to Tiffin and Holiday Rambler. Tiffin has fiberglass roof and the Holiday Rambler has a TPO.

Any info and personal experience would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
I have a TPO roof on a 2009 Fleetwood Expedition. I called the TPO company, they said clean with Murphy's Oil soap. I clean it once a year using this. I clean it one time with a Murphy's oil and water solution to get off the dirt, then I wash it again with the same solution and it leaves a wax film or coating on it. I have 67,000 miles on the coach and do keep it under shelter when not in use.
jrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We got lucky when we bought our coach. I knew we wanted a fiberglass or aluminum roof, but I didn't really think about how the roof was attached to the end cap. Our Monaco has a one piece roof that fits over the top of the front and rear cap so the seam is vertical instead of horizontal and the top overlaps the side walls.
And my CC is solid, no joints anywhere between the front, the roof or rear. Appears to be one solid piece, no joint down the stairs middle either. 45' long too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #23

That's not a "structural" issue. That's a fit problem. They pulled the top too tight on the edges before they screwed it down. Not a whole lot you can do at this point other than close up the gap. I probably would clean the joint, put blue masking tape on both sides of the gap, put some fiberglass / resin in the joint. A few hours later, do a quick sand with 100 grit sandpaper to roughen it up a bit. Cover with eternabond to ensure a good seal. That won't cause any problems other than it looks a little funny.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #24

I have seen many RVs driving down the road with the roof blown up like a balloon. I don't know if its brite tek or TPO or what membrane, but apparently the glue underneath can fail.

I would guess that could happen with glass too, but I think its far less likley.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #25

Just pointing out this thread is 2.5 years old
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #26

ah, didn't notice the dates....well it would be interesting if the OP responded and gave us a long term update on what they did and how it worked out
Old 10-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #27
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
ah, didn't notice the dates....well it would be interesting if the OP responded and gave us a long term update on what they did and how it worked out
Sometimes you can have it both ways. These folks remove a Georgetown fiberglass roof and replace it with TPO. They also do several improvements to the penetrations, which probably makes all of the real difference.

I used to work for a company that manufactured commercial TPO roofing. As long as it was installed correctly, a big "if", TPO lasts a long time.

Ray
Old 10-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Guy View Post
Good morning from a newbie! Looking at finally purchasing our first Class A. Question...fiberglass roof or TPO roof??? We have it narrowed down to Tiffin and Holiday Rambler. Tiffin has fiberglass roof and the Holiday Rambler has a TPO.

Any info and personal experience would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Tiffin for many reasons with the roof being a small one. Fiberglass will hold better from things such as small tree limbs etc.
Tiffin is a family owned company and cannot, I repeat cannot be beat with customer service and quality.
We have several brands of fifth wheels and class A rigs including an Allegro Open RED and Tiffin is just hands down a marvelous company.
NTXNEWBIES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roof