Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailing arm issues

Hi all and thanks for your help in advanced,
We have a 2005 Safari Cheeta that we bought 3 years ago. Just prior to buying it the trailing arm suspension was replaced and upgraded.
13000 miles after buying it we broke one of the four U bolts holding the system to the axle. 5000 miles later we broke the same U bolt (drivers side closest to the tire).
Where do I start? Is the system out of alignment?
Thanks for your help
Ed
webcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't advise you on that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you replaced the original defective arms with new parts from Source Engineering, I would contact them for advice. Something is obviously wrong, so maybe improper installation?

https://sourcerv.com/RoadmasterR4R_FMC1109.pdf

There may have been some other suppliers for the parts, but Source Engineering was the primary one.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #5

I would not think driving conditions would be the cause unless you are competing in moto cross races with your rig.

check internet to see if other people are having similar problems and complaints about defective u bolts. A heavy handed mechanic could have overtightened the nuts but twice?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
...Sorry I can't advise you on that...

Yeah...I canít advise you on that either.

(Just using up space... )
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my rig about the same time, and had its broken trailing arms replaced with the Source Engineering upgrades. I have had no problem with over 17,000 on the new arms. I'd go to the installer and the manufacturer in that order. And welcome aboard.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #8

Thanks all for the input, I have recieved a email from source engineering they have herd of nothing like this happening. I have a appointment tomorrow with my local suspension specility shop. Anxious to hear if they find anything.
Ed
Old 09-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm anxious to hear as well. Please keep up posted; a lot of us have the Source Engineering trailing arms.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our friends have an 07 Holiday Rambler, I installed Koni shocks years earlier to try and improve their ride on the R4R chassis. One of those rear shocks broke and they didn't want to bother me, so they had a shop replace the shock. No one looked at why it broke. I would have! A few months later, the trailering arm snapped. I would have them carefully check the trailering arm to make sure it's straight and true and not failing, even though it's a corrected replacement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #11

Hi, I also have a Safari Cheetah and had the Trailing arms replaced. If you are located anywhere near Florida I would recommend Josam Truck Alignment in Orlando. They are the best in the business. They have installed many trailing arms on rr4r chassis. They always do a precise alignment following installation. Good luck and would be interested to hear the outcome of this issue.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #12

still confused

So I went down to my suspension shop and talked to the Tech that was checking me in for my appointment. He stated that he was familiar with my suspension and that there are no adjustments involved. They would be glad to look at it but there really was nothing they could do unless somthing was broke. He did recomend va Truck shop that has a motor home devision. Called them and left a message, no return call.
When we got home I slid under the rig to look around and I found the U bolts on the passangerside are loose!
What the hell I have never herd or seen anything like this. I know they all were tightened about 10000 miles ago which surprised me since they were put on 15000 miles ago.
So do I need to check the pressure in the tires and the torque on my U bolts before each trip?
Ive been driving comericial vehicles for 30 years and have never seen anything like this before.
Ed
Old 09-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP say the suspension was "upgraded" but has not stated how. Did they use the Source Engineering kit or something else?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
next time U-bolts are replaced, ask them what (torque) they are torquing the nuts to. If they don't have a number, make them look it up or find another shop.

As I'm sure you know, the way a bolt (u-bolt) works is that the steel is stretched by tightening the nut (the steel has elasticity). If the nut is too tight (maybe by use of an air gun rather than a torque wrench) the steel is over stretched and weakened. That may be why it is loosening and breaking.

Of course too loose and there is not enough clamping force and the u-bolt can shift/move and that can cause suspension movement and breakage too.

https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/...-u-bolt-torque
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote