Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #15

Scare the wrong person and those horns may end up in a very uncomfortable place, or worse. The degrees of retaliation varies from idiot to idiot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #16

Most times a blast from the air horns cause people to apply the brakes. That is not a behavior desired from somebody already too close to the front bumper. Imagine what a train horn would do.

That would really upset the drivers who step on the brakes to change lanes, accelerate into traffic, approach a green signal, read signs, switch the radio, talk to the passengers or use the phone.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #17

Man, we sure agree with those of you who caution using horns. Both DH and I started out in our mid 20s driving transit buses in a large metropolitan area. Both of us remember that when we first started, we wanted working horns to warn others of our presence. However, as we got older and gained more experience behind the wheel, we found ourselves never using horns at all. We feel that in practicing ultimate defensive driving, that horns will rarely be used, if at all.

If somebody cuts in front of us in a manner we feel unsafe, to let them know by blasting the air horn or any other horn is post-reactive and not going to teach them a lesson or make them aware that "gee, maybe I should give motorhomes and semis more room when I change lanes." No, it's probably going to aggravate them and could very well fuel emotions for a road rage incident.

We understand that many RVers and not professional drivers and for some, it's their first experience driving a large vehicle. It's natural to want to honk the horn preemptively as warnings to others that "here I am" and if it makes them feel more comfortable when driving their rig, then that's fine too but just don't over do it. Just because most experienced professional drivers rarely use horns does not mean that an RVer should be put in the same category.

As others have implied, do your best to stay out of road rage situations. There are a lot of hot heads out there and pissing-off the wrong person could be catastrophic. We try hard to back off and stay out of the way of the idiots out there and let them do their thing without calling attention to ourselves. OP, not attempting to criticize what this thread is all about and not trying to offend anybody in any way. Just food for thought.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #18

My concern is if the horns are as loud as assumed...what happens when they are honked to "show someone" and some other driver jumps out of their skin scared when hearing them and causes an accident or has a heart attack...then what?

My horns or the least used item on any of my vehicles...very very rarely I see a real need. Most times they are used as a toot toot on depature
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #19

I have a situation on my way to work. Three lanes down the hill, left is a thru lane over the highway, two merge into one to exit onto the bridge. Not good. The morons race down the left lane then attempt to jam their way into the next to exit. One tried that and got a blast of air horn from the semi behind her. She panicked, swerved back and flipped her cell phone out the window in one motion. Peterbilt 1, cell phone no score. Darn near caused a pile up.
A blast of attitude is not going to cure a moment of carelessness or poor judgement and can make a bad situation worse.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed air horns, because I wanted a compressor on board for airing tires and to compliment my hobbies, so a horn was not that big of a deal to install. But I also left my street horn intact so I can use which ever judiciously; meaning seldom. I have used the air horn once when it was deserved and it accomplished embarrassing the offender which was my intent. Other wise it is a novelty, I sound it as we depart and arrive back at out S&B after long absences.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I love my air horns

I have only 2 uses for them alas
If DW goes to sleep whilst I'm giving advice-

On a lonely road a few blasts on the horn relieves the boredom.
I have not used them in anger and hope I'm never tempted.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Train horns are on the list, but it's a long list, so more than likely not this year. Didn't make it last year either. Just hoping I guess.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #23

I just question the psychological significance of making a loud noise when witnessing an aversive event. Sort of like a dog barking?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
CA. Laws on Horn use. Horns or Warning Devices

27000. (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.
V C Section 27001

27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.
(b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with Section 28085) of this chapter.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
I love my air horns

I have only 2 uses for them alas
If DW goes to sleep whilst I'm giving advice-

On a lonely road a few blasts on the horn relieves the boredom.
I have not used them in anger and hope I'm never tempted.
Steve, Are you telling me you have a DW that you can give advice to.
Wow, that must be great.

I don't blow my horn when the DW is asleep. I just ease over to the shoulder of the road and the rumble of the wash board strips wake her up.
When she jumps up, I look at her and smile and say, dang this wind is blowing hard.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #26

I think I have heard a train horn sounding off at an RV park. Really grabs the attention, for sure. I presume you also have the standard "beep beep" horn for the average signaling events. Our bus came with the most pathetically wimpy standard horn on the planet. Even Volkswagons laughed at it. So I did the same thing a teenager with his first jalopy would do ... look for a replacement horn with some muscle. Found a pair of Cadillac horns at the junkyard. Installed them and NOW, with pride, I can honk the service horn. Not obnoxious, but just the correct sound to say, "Hey look, there is a Cadillac in town." Anyway, it worked with my old '56 Chevy.

Now as to the air horn, yes, got 'em, but rarely get used. Loud fellows, but as such I'm very cautious about scaring anyone nearby. Possibly my air horn activation button (on the floor) is unusual, but I can depress it very lightly and the horns will emit a low throaty grunt sound. That's useful at RV parks when slowly creeping up behind a group of women out for a walk. They appreciate the attention!
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote