Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #15

As I stated, I ran it and had over 260k on my power stroke before I sold it and I know plenty of others that run it in their cummins and duramaxes all with well over 200k on them.

Marvel mystery oil works well too and is used as a "fuel additive" and stabilizer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I had two bottles of old Dexron III ATF fluid that I had used in my Allison Tranny prior to changing it over to TranSynd this past August. One was partially full and the other was a new bottle.

I poured both into my full diesel tank of 140 gallons and used it versus throwing it away. However, I do not routinely pour ATF in my diesel tank.

The only additive I do use but not ALL the time is Diesel Kleen from WalMart. That stuff works great to clean the injectors.

I think Cummins, Cat and Detroit Diesel would say not to add anything to the diesel tanks except for some BioBor to control algae when being stored in high humidity areas or some type of injector cleaner.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #17

lots of opinions and I hear you all. those of you who do how much trans fluid per gallon of diesel?
thanks. Gerry....
daddyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle21 View Post
I've used ATF in some older engines it is a high detergent oil it will clean your fuel system. I work in construction the off road fuel is red, no HWY TAX. I personally have had the IRS Inspector come on a job site and dip our on road trucks looking for a red tint. I asked the agent what if I added ATF to the fuel? His answer you get a ticket and you have to prove it's not the off road fuel dye. The fine is very substantial per gallon of capacity. I hope this helps
I did my own fuel filter change two years ago for the first time. I used ATF to prime the filters, as suggested by another forum member. 3000 miles later and the clear bowl on my water separator was still red. I thought about the red off-road fuel issue and decided it wasn't a worth the risk, so I added a Cat priming pump and now prime the filters with diesel fuel from the RV's fuel tank. For what it's worth, I noticed no change in performance with the added ATF.

Worried about the low lubricity of today's diesel fuel, I use a fuel additive called Ethos. Ethos is marketed as a fuel saving additive but I use it for its lubricity properties. I sold it for a coupe of years, but stopped when I couldn't make any money at it....it was just too expensive. I am using what inventory I have left and plan to switch to Stanadyne when my Ethos is gone.

Just my two cents...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probably there isn't any harm to adding ATF.. There probably isn't any real benefit either . Engine Manufacturers don't recommend any additive. So why bother ?
Just an added expense and one more item to carry . The way some moan over having to add DEF you might think adding ATF would be low on the list of to-do's .
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
When I was having the lift pump replaced on my Cummins (only 16,000 miles) the mechanic wanted to know what additive I was using? I told him I wasn't. He told me about Stanadyne and I looked them up on the web. I called an injector pump remanufacture and asked what they recommended and the answer was Stanadyne. That was 250,000 miles ago. I buy it by the case which makes it much cheaper. Today I use Stanadyne in the Jeep and the MH faithfully and of course the 01' Dodge.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a nice interesting link for this topic. I am going to try one of the products mentioned in my duramax pickup and if I like the way it works will use it in my cummins ISL

Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fluid, fuel