Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Question Transfer switch 50 amp

Does anyone know the proper transfer switch to replace a 2000 winnebago chieftain mine went and The original owner put in a wrong one he replaced it with a 30 amp It has problems now with wiring and factory installed says it has to be 50 amp I need to know what was or is factory make to find online if possible please any help
djred870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are basically two types of 50 amp transfer switches.. One has two sets of contactors (Relays) and the "At rest" (no power) state is "Not Connected" when you plug in one set locks in and in so doing locks out the other set, When you start the generator, after a time out (usually 30 seconds to 1 minute) the other set locks in and locks out the first.. I can see an advantage to this but I also like the concept of KISS.

Intelletec models the "At Rest" (no power) is connected to Shore, when you start the generator, after the time out, it transfers.

There is also a 3-way transfer used on some rigs with Inverters (I actually suspect the 1st one is a 3-way, that would put the at-rest (no shore or generator power) mode "INVERTER" and make sense.

So unless you need a 3 way, I would go with the Intelletec type.

Page 2..... The only other difference is size shape and mounting, that is, the holes may be in different places or one make may be wider or thicker, so if it fits. it should work. Since the 30 amp switch is smaller physically the PO already drilled new holes.

the bottom line:
No need to worry about the make and model, they all should work the same, just worry about the size of the box.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

If you go to this link, you'll find all the wiring diagrams for Winnebago Chieftains. 30 amp shore power uses a 3 conductor cord, a 50 amp service uses 4 conductors. I'm curious how the previous owner changed from 50 amp to 30 amp. If he downsized to a 30 amp ATS, did he also rewire the service panel to tie both legs of the 50 amp service to the single hot in the 30 amp? Check all the wiring to see if other mods might have been done.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djred870 View Post
Does anyone know the proper transfer switch to replace a 2000 winnebago chieftain mine went and The original owner put in a wrong one he replaced it with a 30 amp It has problems now with wiring and factory installed says it has to be 50 amp I need to know what was or is factory make to find online if possible please any help
Here is the cover with model number, etc on my Itasca (Winnebago) and the way the wiring should look for a 50 amp hookup. I converted mine from the factory 30 amp to 50 a couple of years ago, but luckily it already had a 50 amp ATS. The brand is Magnetek and I have also attached a circuit diagram for the 5070 and the installation instructions.

As the previous post said, did the former owner put a jumper on the ATS or in the breaker box to combine the two power legs? 50 amp service is two 110 volt legs for a combined 220 volt. A 30 amp service is only one 110 volt input with it jumpered to both sides of the circuit breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS-Cover.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	73730   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS-After.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	73731  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf ATS5070.pdf (110.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: pdf ATS5070TypInstallBlk.pdf (419.6 KB, 134 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch