Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2022, 01:31 PM   #1

Transfer Switch making racket

'03 Winnie Ultimate Freedom

What on earth is all this racket?
I plugged into 110 and adapter to charge my house batteries. Usually it bangs once and I can hear the microwave turn on. It's never made this racket. 1st thoughts, the transfer switch bit the dust. I sure hope not. Could it have something to do with the genset? Inv/charger? Bare wire grounding out? Battery short?
Eventually it will trip a the breaker in the house, sticks and bricks.....

Apparently, I can't upload a vid. It's loud, vibrates the box, quits..... Repeat.....

Hoping someone else had this experienced ....

TIA.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220529_134210.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	366894  
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #2

Have you used that combination of adapter dogbone, AC outlet, and shore power cord before, without issue? If no, it suggests something is mis-wired; that it will eventually trip the residence circuit breaker is the big red flag.

If yes, what changed?
Old 05-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #3

Have you checked the outlet you are plugged into with a voltmeter?

Voltage under the load you are running in the RV?
Old 05-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Thanks guys, it's working. I had replaced the garage outlet and it had been giving me some issues after I installed new. it just dawned on me. Old age syndrome. I plugged in a light and it works fine. But I have 2 other outlets that are dead and no tripped breakers. I need to tear apart the new one and see what's going on. Probably tied to the 2 dead ones. I have 1 that's working properly and the coach is fine...... Thankfully.... Appreciate the replies.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #5

The wife informed me the freezer in the basement is on that circuit too. There's no rhyme or reason how this house is wired. We find all kid of fun circuits. The door panel on the electrical box doesn't mean much...
Old 05-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #6

All the information you've provided sounds like everything is working as designed.

I do not understand your comment; "Usually it bangs once and I can hear the microwave turn on. It's never made this racket"

How does the RV microwave turn on simply by plugging into your 120VAC house receptacle?
A transfer switch usually begins making noise when the contacts are dirty and/or pitted. This condition occurs when one ignores the transfer switch manual and switches power sources repeatedly when an appliance is running.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
All the information you've provided sounds like everything is working as designed.

I do not understand your comment; "Usually it bangs once and I can hear the microwave turn on. It's never made this racket"

How does the RV microwave turn on simply by plugging into your 120VAC house receptacle?
A transfer switch usually begins making noise when the contacts are dirty and/or pitted. This condition occurs when one ignores the transfer switch manual and switches power sources repeatedly when an appliance is running.
I have a bad outlet on the garage that made the transfer switch go a little crazy.
We've had the rig about 3yrs. Everytime I hooked to shore power I heard a bang in the transfer switch when plugging into shore power, then a hum as it runs. Maybe if I switched some breakers off b4 hooking up to shore power it may not bang, idk... When the transfer switch turned on, the microwave would beep and the time would flash. When I heard the beep I knew the coach was getting power.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #8

If the transfer switch is damaged, the only solution is repair. A humming usually means a less than solid connection at contacts. This can mean burned or pitted contacts, weak springs or loose wiring connections.

BEFORE opening the switch container, turn off all electricity feeding the switch; shore power, genset, and inverter. Then test to affirm there is no electricity to stop your heart.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-31-2022, 04:25 AM   #9

Our transfer switch started banging and then would quit, then reseat with no apparent rhyme nor reason. Replaced it and no more banging. Once those contact points get weak or start to get pitted, there is no option but to repair or replace.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes a little percussive adjustment will cure a problem....ie, whack it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #11

Ok, here is what I'm finding, appreciate the replies. I'm sure the the transfer switch needs some work, but at the current time it's not the main concern.
The reason it was banging off and on was because of a voltage drop when it turned on. I had a switch on the monitor set to No Delay. So the transfer switch kept trying and trying to engage, thus the banging.... All I can think is the chest freezer and who knows what is on the circuit is getting overloaded. That's why the breaker tripped and the switch worked fine on another outlet.

Found out why I lost power to a different garage outlet and the outside entryway outlet. The ground fault in one of the bathrooms was tripped. Why they are on the same circuit is beyond me. I think the electrician was paid in beer.

Here's a couple pix of the monitor and voltage readings. I've seen it drop at times to 105/103 volts..... When I'm plugged into the current outlet there is no drop......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_165801.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	367073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_162652.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	367074  

Old 05-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Our transfer switch started banging and then would quit, then reseat with no apparent rhyme nor reason. Replaced it and no more banging. Once those contact points get weak or start to get pitted, there is no option but to repair or replace.

It's been my experience that with some gentle sanding and smoothing it is possible to revive pitted rough contacts. You're right about the contact springs, once they weaken replacement is the only solution.

Tags
transfer switch, switch