Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 04:38 AM   #1

Transmission oil level overflow:) ?

Unfortunately I have read the dipstick for the transmission wrong and I add more oil, I drove probably 350 MI and find out my transmission radiator start to getting really hot and checking the dipstick again find out I have too much oil, everything runs well right now but I don't have plans to run again until I take excessive amount of oil out I just don't know how?
It looks like the transmission has a drain plug I'm not sure If someone knows please let me know.
The main question is? do you believe the excessive amount of oil in 350 MI already damaged the transmission? Should I replace the whole transmission oil? Can I just use the drain plug to do so or I have to do the entire pan and change the filter to!
Since I don't have the history off this couch what kind of oil you guys recommended for me to use it safely.
2000 P30 GMC 7.4 L

Thank you I appreciate any help?
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 06:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You probably didn’t hurt anything (depends on what you mean by “really hot”) and yes, just drain a quart via the drain plug and re-check, transmission warm, in neural. Repeat as necessary.

As for fluid/filter, any time you get a vehicle over 50k/five years old with no maint records, yes, do the trans service along with a bunch of other preventative maintenance. On a motorhome, the interval should probably be shorter depending on use. But you can wait until it’s convenient - just don’t procrastinate too long.

The big hazard from an over-filled transmission is that transmission fluid expands when it gets hot, and you can end up with trans fluid flowing out of the dip-stick tube, on to hot exhaust resulting in an engine fire.

As for what fluid to put in it, it’s a Chevy so I’m sure it’s a Dextron type which back then was Dextron II, and now there is Dextron IV Full Synthetic available, but I’m not a chevy guy so I’ll leave that one alone.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #3

If you are checking the oil temperature at the cooler, after coming off the road, with no air flow through the cooler, it WILL feel very hot.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I would take the opportunity to change fluid and filter, and then you know that's been done. Otherwise you can drain some fluid out using via the drain plug. Or if you're in a boating area swing by BoatUS or similar store and get one of the devices that boaters use to remove the oil via the dipstick tube.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:02 AM   #5

Look up the amount for your trans do a full pan drain "not full trans" and fill. The full syn. Vavoline Max-life multi vehicle from Wal-Mart seems to be top replacement for Dex5.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Found this while poking around:

https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/upl...sis-Manual.pdf

Should be very useful. Nice to find a full manual scanned and useable. I’d print it and put it in a binder with the rig. Check out the chart on 8-9 showing how many miles you can safely drive while subjecting you’re transmission to various temps - interesting stuff. Obviously that applies to Dextron II and since you have no records, you should assume that’s what’s in it.

There are differing opinions on synthetic fluids in older transmissions, backwards compatibility, and mixing synthetic with non-synthetic. That 400 series is used to Dextron II and I’d stick with that. Any benefit synthetic might provide could be heavily outweighed by what it might do to a 20+ year old chevy trans.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
You probably didnít hurt anything (depends on what you mean by ďreally hotĒ) and yes, just drain a quart via the drain plug and re-check, transmission warm, in neural. Repeat as necessary.

As for fluid/filter, any time you get a vehicle over 50k/five years old with no maint records, yes, do the trans service along with a bunch of other preventative maintenance. On a motorhome, the interval should probably be shorter depending on use. But you can wait until itís convenient - just donít procrastinate too long.

The big hazard from an over-filled transmission is that transmission fluid expands when it gets hot, and you can end up with trans fluid flowing out of the dip-stick tube, on to hot exhaust resulting in an engine fire.

As for what fluid to put in it, itís a Chevy so Iím sure itís a Dextron type which back then was Dextron II, and now there is Dextron IV Full Synthetic available, but Iím not a chevy guy so Iíll leave that one alone.
I want to thank you all for the great answers, this is a great community!!!!!
Dominiqueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:07 AM   #8

If the trans is a 4L80E trans the fluid used is no longer DEX III. GM replaced it with DEX IV.

2005 DEX IV fluid:

In a joint venture, Ford and GM collaborated on the development of a new 6-speed FWD transaxle (6T70/6F50). Both companies would share the designs and build their own transmissions. The design of these transmissions required a new fluid.

In 2005, Ford released the Mercon Low Viscosity (LV) fluid and GM released the Dexron VI specification.[18] The fluid specification for Dexron-VI (J) was first used as the GM factory-fill automatic transmission fluid for the model year 2006. Roy Fewkes, GM Powertrain Staff Project Engineer and Chairman of the GM ATF/Driveline Lubricants Approval Committee patented the new Dexron-VI (J) fluid composition under US Patent US8642519B2[19][20]

Dexron VI is of a slightly lower viscosity when new compared to the prior Dexron fluids (a maximum of 6.4 cSt at 100 įC for Dexron VI and 7.5 cSt for Dexron III), but the allowed viscosity loss from shearing of the ATF during use is lower for Dexron VI, resulting in the same lowest allowed final viscosity for both Dexron III and VI (5.5 cSt) in test.[21] In reality most of the DEXRON-III fluids typically sheared to about 4.2 cSt in use. The lower, more stable viscosity improved pumping efficiency within the transmission and fluid stability over life. Since Dexron VI is not allowed to thin out (lower its viscosity) as much as Dexron III during use, it requires the use of higher-quality, more shear-stable (less prone to thinning while in use) formulations.[22] The container rear label reads "Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid"; however, the base oil composition is not stated. The current GM specification that defines the fluid is GMW16444, which superseded the original specification, GMN10060.

All Dexron-III (H) licenses expired permanently at the end of 2011, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids for use in their older automatic transmissions.[23] Aftermarket fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III(H) and earlier standards continue to be sold under names such as Dex/Merc. These fluids are not regulated or endorsed by GM.[22]

GM Dexron-VI(J) licensed products have a license number on the container that begins with the letter J. Example: J-60301. This was the first GM ATF to advertise 100,000 miles (160,000 km) between changes for "Normal Driving" conditions and 50,000 miles (80,000 km) for "Severe Service".[24] This fluid is backward compatible with Dexron-III(H) and Dexron-III(G) fluids only.

This fluid was first used in the following transmissions:

2007 6T70/6T75 Transaxles
2007 6L80 Transmission
The fluid on ELF is FluidMatic G6 SYN
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission