Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2021, 05:00 AM   #57

Temp Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Not if you buy it private party. Temps are issued from dealer only.

Here in FL one can purchase a transit tag for a private purchase. We sold a previous car to a friend from NM. When I signed over the title to him at the local vehicle registration office he was able to purchase such a tag, good for 30 days I believe, so he could drive home. As I recall the price was reasonable because he did not have to pay sales tax though if our rate would have been less than that in NM he might have wanted to do that.

When we bought our latest RV I was faced with the same dilemma. I read a number of "opinions" that one could drive home with a bill of sale, proof of insurance and title in hand with no worries. But tags have many purposes other than just proof of registration. Many campgrounds require a tag number to register, many toll roads/bridges now do "toll by plate" if you do not have an EZ-Pass module, and absence of a tag is an indication of a stolen vehicle.

I was only driving our latest RV 300 miles home from another city in the same state but didn't want to risk it. I wouldn't ever consider driving across the country with an unregistered vehicle.

And, BTW, we only have rear plates here in FL and it's a traffic violation which is probable cause to be stopped if your plate is obscured by any appendage on the rear of the vehicle.

Paul and Chris
06 Winnebago View in NW FL
AF retired and proud of it!
Guzowskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #58

We had to get a temp in Colorado to drive it to Kansas. Also noteworthy, we were advised we could have had trouble titling it in Kansas without a legit transfer (in our name). Then there was also an issue with sales tax that was part of the sales exchange. I’d check with county-tag office where you’re buying it before traveling a distance, in case they have to literally look at the vehicle.
DGP-Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #59

Just have your paperwork in order, be respectful if pulled over and you will have no issues. Most cops are reasonable to honesty and truthful stories.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:06 PM   #60

I bought a motorhome out of state - I went to the Florida DMV to see about a temporary tag to deliver it - they said they don't do that. Idiots - I ended up paying the substantial sales tax to register it in Texas that Florida could have had - drove here and got a Florida plate then. I would question the wisdom of driving without a valid license plate.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #61

This thread is hilarious.
He is buying it in Nevada and driving it to Maryland.
Now he is getting advise on buying in Florida, Montana, Minnesota,.....and of all places...Alberta,Canada.

Some people just have to see themselves in print.
OP, my opinion is if you can get that $1 Nevada permit, fine, otherwise you have all the documents that show you just bought it and it is insured.
Go for it!
Old 10-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Each state is diffrent. I think it depends on the state the sale took place. I bought a trailer in MS from a private party. My dmv looked up the info and I did not need a temp plate. Drive with no plate. I think the police have a way to look up that info for all states.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased from a private owner in CA and drove to GA. Used their tags with my insurance. No problem.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:27 AM   #64

Pretty sure every state issues transport plates.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:01 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
This thread is hilarious.
He is buying it in Nevada and driving it to Maryland.
Now he is getting advise on buying in Florida, Montana, Minnesota,.....and of all places...Alberta,Canada.

Some people just have to see themselves in print.
OP, my opinion is if you can get that $1 Nevada permit, fine, otherwise you have all the documents that show you just bought it and it is insured.
Go for it!
I agree with your assessment to the OP. However, others may be interested in how it’s done elsewhere and therefore, more interest is accrued thereby getting more comments.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Pretty sure every state issues transport plates.
Don't be so sure as it varies all over the place.
NC doesn't issue any temp tags for private sales.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #67

Quick answer, your good. You have a signed and dated title. There's a grace period to register. And your ins. will cover during that time... Besides, I never been pulled over....
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebwhite View Post
Just have your paperwork in order, be respectful if pulled over and you will have no issues. Most cops are reasonable to honesty and truthful stories.
May I have your full name, address, phone number, social security number and a current valid credit card number just in case I get stopped for no valid registration so I can get the fine paid as quickly as possible?
"Most cops are reasonable to honest and truthful stories". The key word here being "most". No guarantees though. Cops have bad days too. Guess which cop would pull me over?
Obviously from this discussion it's apparent not all states play by the same rules. Get into an accident driving an unregistered vehicle and see how that works out for you.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC57 View Post
I purchased from a private owner in CA and drove to GA. Used their tags with my insurance. No problem.
That works for Ca-registered vehicles because the California plate is issued to the vehicle, not the owner. When a California vehicle is sold the plate stays with the vehicle, unless the previous owner wants to keep the plate, then HE is responsible for getting a replacement plate before the sale goes through. Other states issue the plates to the owner, and upon sale the plates are removed.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I certainly agree the probability of an issue is small but wonder if the "advisors" to just do it wouldbe willing to chip in if the OP gets cited?
Especially if / when there is an easy legal alternative available.
When I faced the same issue NC would not issue a temp tag for a private sale leaving few easy options. Thankfully the seller appreciated the predicament and we trusted each other and cooperated.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Agree should never ask a forum a legal question. We use to call that "jailhouse lawyers". Our newest MH we did similar "new to us" out of state. Called the Michigan State Patrol and ask them. They said two simple ways. Use the plate from the current owner. With written permission. Have signed and dated title "if not financed". Signed and dated bill of sale with financing documents if financed. Insurance documents MUST match new MH. We used this method and mailed the plate back to the previous owner as soon as we got home. Second method was simply carry documents with you with no plate. Only risk with this method you are legal but do risk being stopped and checked often. He gave me the law references and his name / badge number.

Not saying you should use either method. As a matter of fact I would say don't use either method unless verified. That was 8 years ago, rules may of changed. Go to the source ask someone that knows the law. Don't ask "jailhouse lawyers" legal questions that could result in YOU getting fines or ???.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, purchase, tags