Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I'd go by NV DMV instead of any internet advice!

From NV DMV

"You also may purchase a special 30-day "drive away" permit for vehicles being driven out of state. These are valid for a one-way trip to a specific destination only."

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
And that is the bottom line!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 04:21 AM   #16

Bought our 2020 Tiffin RED from a dealer in Alabama and drove home to Georgia with no issues. From my house I was going to fill the RV up and then proceed to our storage unit. A police car was following me, when I pulled into the gas station so did he. I thought he was going to at least inquire about the lack of license plate (he did not turn on his lights). My wife went inside to pay while I fueled up, and he commented to her that it was a nice RV. She said we just bought it a few days ago and thanked him. He made no reference to a lack of license plate. With a bill of sale and proper insurance you should have no issue (an opinion from experience, not a statement from a law perspective).
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #17

Very simple. I just did this. Have your bill of sale, signed over title, and insurance. You are good to drive home with only those documents.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Sometimes its easier to Beg Forgiveness than Ask Permission. Most law officers are understanding if the understand the situation and you aren't breaking the law.

If I were doing the same I would use a tag from our 2nd car and make sure I had proper insurance, then drive straight home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Bought our 2020 Tiffin RED from a dealer in Alabama and drove home to Georgia with no issues. From my house I was going to fill the RV up and then proceed to our storage unit. A police car was following me, when I pulled into the gas station so did he. I thought he was going to at least inquire about the lack of license plate (he did not turn on his lights). My wife went inside to pay while I fueled up, and he commented to her that it was a nice RV. She said we just bought it a few days ago and thanked him. He made no reference to a lack of license plate. With a bill of sale and proper insurance you should have no issue (an opinion from experience, not a statement from a law perspective).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Very simple. I just did this. Have your bill of sale, signed over title, and insurance. You are good to drive home with only those documents.
I certainly agree the probability of an issue is small but wonder if the "advisors" to just do it wouldbe willing to chip in if the OP gets cited?
Especially if / when there is an easy legal alternative available.
When I faced the same issue NC would not issue a temp tag for a private sale leaving few easy options. Thankfully the seller appreciated the predicament and we trusted each other and cooperated.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Wouldn't be an issue in Nevada. A large number of people have no plates or expired plates. I see one on a daily basis that expired in July 2019. No one cares. You can get a ten day movement permit.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #20

Carry your documents with you while travelling, you're good to go.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
Carry your documents with you while travelling, you're good to go.
How do you figure that? You would be driving an unlicensed vehicle.
There is a reason there are dealer plates and temporary registrations for this purpose.
Fines can be stiff for driving an unlicensed vehicle.
God forbid if you got into an accident with an unlicensed, uninspected vehicle. You might have to hire a driver for a while.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #22

Depends on the state. In Georgia you can drive on the Bill of Sale for 7 days.

I bought mine in Tennessee and there you have to go to the DMV and get a temp tag.

I drove mine home on the sellers tag and mailed the tags back to him.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #23

My experience in Florida as of a month ago. DMV told me NO vehicle can be operated on Florida roads without a Tag. You can have it trailered, but if you get pulled over they can impound the vehicle. Now 2 years ago, we sold a DP to a guy in South Carolina and as soon as his wire transfer hit my bank and the lien was satisfied, he jumped in and drove home with no plates. Apparently no problems on the way.

DMV also told me if you use a plate from another vehicle it is a FELONY. So that's probably the worst possible plan. I'm guessing (and taking my advice is at your own risk) driving home with a Bill of Sale and hopefully a title would get you out of any situation by explaining you are taking the RV home. But who knows?

As a side note, it took me almost 6 weeks to get the other guy's lien satisfied on the title of my new trailer and finally get it titled and tagged in my own name. He let me use his plates and registration to not only get it home, but take it camping for several trips. In retrospect, that was probably not a good idea for either of us even though I'd insured it in my own name.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Wouldn't be an issue in Nevada. A large number of people have no plates or expired plates. I see one on a daily basis that expired in July 2019. No one cares. You can get a ten day movement permit.
NV DMV (above) even states nothing req'd for 3 days after sale to transport home. I wouldn't worry either if I lived in NV but the OP has a cross country trip to think about.
Are those that advise not getting the permit just cheap or like to challenge any authority!

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #25

I recently faced the same dilemma. I bought a rig from a private party in Wisconsin and I live in Michigan where it is legal to drive from the place of purchase to the place of storage by the most direct method. I made sure I had insurance and the signed-over Wisconsin title with me. I didn't anticipate any issues and didn't have any. Was it technically legal? I don't know. I do know in Michigan you need to present the title to get any kind of plate so that was out of the question. Since I'm not a Wisconsin resident I likely could not get any kind of a plate there. Since I was pulling my pickup I did have a properly registered vehicle as the plate a police officer would see. If it were me I would just go for it, stick to the right hand lane and be very polite if you get stopped, but I don't think you will. Police officers tend to understand that this is an issue without a good answer in most states. Whatever you do don't use a plate from a different vehicle, it's generally worse than no plate at all. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #26

Thank you for all of the responses. Sorry for not stating in my OP this is a private sale.
I will have a notarized Bill of Sale, executed title, insurance and ID.
jcp4253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #27

Only thing I would add to this is, if you do get stopped by police, be open and honest. Most officers are reasonable people and they know we are living in difficult times due to Covid and other issues beyond our normal control.

You are able to show that the coach is insured (this would be HUGE for me as a former LEO), and you can basically show that you are the legal owner of the coach. (Have contact info for the seller available if needed). It's not like you have owned the coach for month's or years and have not registered it in your name, you are just trying to get it home to take care of those matters when you arrive.

Enjoy your new coach, enjoy your trip home and best of luck!

For those who called the DMV in your State, the workers there cannot tell you it's OK to drive without registration, it's pretty much against everything they stand for.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Pay $1 and get a permit online and print it out.... I did this exact thing when I bought a jeep in Reno and drove it back to AZ

https://dmvnv.com/regpermits.htm
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, purchase, tags