Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #1

Transporting just purchased RV without tags??

I think I saw a post about this before but can't find it.
We are flying to Vegas to pick up our new to us Thor 37tb. I've been told that if I have a Bill of Sale, Title, Insurance and License I can drive straight back and register it at home. I know it will have to pass inspection in MD prior to getting tags. Are we pushing out luck?
jcp4253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Any motorhome we got came with 30 day temp tags. Why would yours not?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Can a "Transport" tag be purchased for cheaper, but for a lesser time period? Perhaps from the destination state? If you have an RV tag you haven't retired but are going to transfer to the new coach that may be a viable option. If you are going to use a tag service such as "50 States" you can probably drive it home under your original tag.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Not if you buy it private party. Temps are issued from dealer only.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #5

My buddies son is a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper and I asked him about this and he said that since it takes weeks to get an appointment with the Nevada DMV he said he would not be too concerned and if you get pulled over tell the officer just that I could not get an appointment at the DMV in Nevada.
My next door neighbor is a local sheriffs deputy and he basically said the same.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Not if you buy it private party. Temps are issued from dealer only.
True. I've only bought via a dealer. Guess the OP needs to provide more details on the purchase for us to provide proper input.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

Big question is... purchasing from a dealer or private?
Usually the originating state issues the temp tag to allow transport not the home state but worth checking with both.

This from the NV DMV site. Looks like you might be OK to leave NV butnot sure about all other states you will transit?
When I purchased privately in NC (they don't issue temp permit for private sales) Inegotiated with seller to "borrow" their plates for the trip home. I carried insurance and returned them upon arrival home.

"Tips

You can obtain a movement permit*online through MyDMV*if you have an existing registration and meet the requirements below.
You can obtain a movement permit at all DMV locations without an appointment. See*Office Locations.
You must have insurance to drive a vehicle on public streets.
[https://dmvnv]**You may drive a recently-purchased vehicle without a movement permit for three days after the date of purchase if you carry, in the vehicle, proof of ownership or proof of purchase and proof of liability insurance.
(2021 Senate Bill 60 Sec. 20*effective 7/1/21)
This applies only to recently-purchased vehicles. You must obtain a movement permit if your car has been in storage, under repair, etc."

https://dmvnv.com/regpermits.htm

Also found there...
"You also may purchase a special 30-day "drive away" permit for vehicles being driven out of state. These are valid for a one-way trip to a specific destination only."

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

If you have a bill of sale, title, and insurance you’ll be fine.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I was checking on the same scenario a while back one suggestion was to purchase a drive out tag before you leave and take it with you.
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #10

not just the title.it must be signed AND dated.dated is the big one.here in iowa if you get pulled over and it's just signed they raise hell,as it appears you are jumping the title.when dated you have x amount of days to title it in your name.AND for me if i buy a new vehicle,the insurance i have that is the best on all my vehicles covers my new purchase for 15 days.so talk to your ins company.you might just have to carry your ins card for your vehicle with the best insurance,and if pulled over you should have no problems.one thing you might check is the states you are going to drive thru to see if you have to run over the scales,and avoid those states.they decide to do a vehicle inspection they could find all kinds of things wrong and your gonna be sitting there.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #11

I'd go by NV DMV instead of any internet advice!

From NV DMV

"You also may purchase a special 30-day "drive away" permit for vehicles being driven out of state. These are valid for a one-way trip to a specific destination only."

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sometimes its easier to Beg Forgiveness than Ask Permission. Most law officers are understanding if the understand the situation and you aren't breaking the law.

If I were doing the same I would use a tag from our 2nd car and make sure I had proper insurance, then drive straight home.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Using a tag from another car would be worse that driving without one.

Intent to deceive …..
Old 09-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #14

If your going up I15 there is a dmv office in Mesquite and you could probably walk in and get a permit. Vegas offices require appts
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, purchase, tags