Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 04:36 AM   #1

Travel Day - Too Windy?

I have always been lucky I guess. Our travel days have always seemed to have winds under 20 mph. I think our streak is coming to an end. We are scheduled to leave Sunday morning and the weather forecast is calling for 20-30 mph. Do you let wind speed affect travel plans, and if so, what is your limit?

TIA!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 05:23 AM   #2

I will run in 30 but 40 is pushing it. if its a head or tail wind it dont bother but we hit 40+ side wind in Wyoming. That will a little too much for me.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:06 AM   #3

So far I have not ... but then again my rig handles pretty well in the wind. A strong side wind though can make for a very tiring day. You might just consider making it a shorter day?
Old 04-22-2021, 06:13 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends of the rig, driver, traffic conditions, road type,,, I drove thru the fringe of Hurricane Sandy back in 2011. 40+ MPH winds. Got bounced around a bit but it was manageable. Wasn't fun but wasn't terrifying either.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Wind speeds usually reach their maximums in the afternoons. So, start your trip early to miss most of the winds. As others have said, head and tail winds are not nearly as much of a problem as crosswinds. If you get to a point where you don't feel comfortable, pull over and park it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
High winds are not uncommon anywhere along the east side of the Rocky Mountains. They can happen anytime of the year. Generally the steady state of the wind isn't the biggest problem. 40 MPH winds are manageable but the 60+ MPH gusts that might occur are not so manageable.

If the forecast is for 40+ MPH winds, stay where you are. Forecast of 30+ MPH venture out only if you REALLY NEED to get somewhere.

If you get caught in high side winds, slow down. Your speed adds to the wind speed making it worse. I once drove 10 miles at 10 MPH trying to find a place in Wyoming to get off the road. Before I found a good place I drove out of the wind and continued on. I left permanent dents in my steering wheel from that experience. I saw a few 18 wheelers on their sides that day.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm retired and usually not in a hurry so if the winds get bad we just stay parked. I can handle 40 mph but only if I have a need to. From my semi driving days I can tell you that the worst kind of wind is a side wind. Most folks would think a head wind is the worst, but not true. A side wind can really cut down your power and mileage.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:58 AM   #8

Here is an excellent site for current and forecast wind speed as well as other weather-related items:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.4;-98.7;5&l=wind-10m

The biggest danger in high side winds is when there are things that temporarily block the wind. So you go from strong side wind to no side wind to extremely strong side wind as the wind is routed around the blocking object.

As they say, BE SAFE OUT THERE.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I have always been lucky I guess. Our travel days have always seemed to have winds under 20 mph. I think our streak is coming to an end. We are scheduled to leave Sunday morning and the weather forecast is calling for 20-30 mph. Do you let wind speed affect travel plans, and if so, what is your limit?

TIA!
Heck yea!! We're retired, not in a hurry and have shed stress in our lives. Why do things that cause anxiety?
Old 04-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #10

We stay put when there’s a red flag warning
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #11

Our 5th wheel is 13' 4" high. We absolutely do not travel when the wind gets bad. Just not worth the risk.

RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 PM   #12

As the DW says .....

If it's blowin' , she ain't goin' . This applies to both the MH and boat .

I gotta hand it to her , it's hard to argue her logic. Especially after having got caught on the road and on the water during major blow's.

If someone has to ask if it's a good idea to drive in high winds , that tells me they have never driven in high winds , over 40mph , and experienced the challenge and risk associated with it.

When encountering something new , it's always a good idea to approach it with caution and use a little common sense .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #13

Crosswinds are also the worst on a bicycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I'm retired and usually not in a hurry so if the winds get bad we just stay parked. I can handle 40 mph but only if I have a need to. From my semi driving days I can tell you that the worst kind of wind is a side wind. Most folks would think a head wind is the worst, but not true. A side wind can really cut down your power and mileage.
Yep, a headwind or tail wind affect your mileage but a crosswind can make for white knuckling.

A few days ago I rode my road bike up a 500' climb out of a valley on a 10% grade. The uphill was easy compared to once on the ridge, I only went on for about a mile before turning around as the 30 - 40 MPH crosswinds were throwing me all over the road. Luckily there is no traffic to contend with or I might not be here to post this.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #14
D20

My wife and I were in Texas this week with winds gusting in the 40s from a direction that would have them pushing on the side as we drove. We were due to depart on our next leg that morning. When I woke up to the coach rocking from the wind, I knew we wouldn’t be going anywhere that day. We stayed put for an additional day until the wind died down the following morning.

Tags
travel, wind