Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Traveling down the highway, jacks down alarm sounds

We are traveling down I17 towards Phoenix and an alarm sounds. (the jacks were in travel mode before starting out) It's the Jacks Down alarm. I'm thinking I am going to tear a jack off while I slow the coach. We manage to take the next exit and stop for a breath. We then attempt a manual retraction but no luck. This is a loud alarm. I then press the auto store button, still alarm is going. I come to a stop and while circling the coach DW comes out and tells the alarm stopped.

Is this anything close to a expected experience?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

On the 2000 Holiday Rambler that we had with Power Gear jacks, being just a little low on fluid allowed the float switch to bounce enough to sound the alarm. Adding just a little fluid usually fixed it. The float switch can also be installed at the wrong angle, but probably not your problem.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

I had this happen to me on the way back from a camping trip. I pulled over and looked at the jacks one of my rear jacks was not fully retracted maybe down a half of an inch. I activated the system and manually retracted them and drove home. The next day i fully extended the jacks and cleaned them well and lubricated them all has been good.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
We are traveling down I17 towards Phoenix and an alarm sounds. (the jacks were in travel mode before starting out) It's the Jacks Down alarm. I'm thinking I am going to tear a jack off while I slow the coach. We manage to take the next exit and stop for a breath. We then attempt a manual retraction but no luck. This is a loud alarm. I then press the auto store button, still alarm is going. I come to a stop and while circling the coach DW comes out and tells the alarm stopped.

Where you by chance driving from Flagstaff to Phoenix? If you store them on a cold morning up north, and then drive south to warm weather that day, they can extend a little. I never had them extend enough to trigger an alarm though.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

After you store your jacks, and the travel light come on, wait another minute before shutting off the panel. I've been there-done that. That 1 minute wait solved my annoying jacks-down alarm while driving.
When the alarm sounded, I would just turn on the panel and push "store", which stopped the alarm. The HWH store function works while driving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

X2 for low fluid.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #7

This happened to me in Colorado in September as I topped out on a pass. I pulled off and checked the jacks only seeing one that was down maybe a 1/2". That's when I noticed I had no power to my HWH system. I ended up pulling the fuse for the alarm when I made it to a bigger city and verified that the jacks had not moved. I am hoping that it is just a blown fuse. Now that it's cold here I will start trying to figure it out in the Spring. Anyone else ever lose complete power to the system? There are no lights on the HWH control board which is why I know I have no power.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post

I had the same problem in my previous coach a 2011 Winnebago Tour 42 QD. While the jacks extend via hydraulics, they retract via springs only.

The problem was with one jack, the springs did not have enough tension to keep them in travel mode completely above the fault line which activates the alarm. The fix was simple, I ordered two new springs for the jack in question. Keep in mind that each jack has two springs.

I think it took me 40 minutes or so to replace both springs with zero problems the rest of the time I owned the coach.

On my current coach, I get a similar warning with the cause being the entry steps. I have replaced the springs but I still get an alarm when I hit a bump or pot hole. I may get beefier springs in the future unless I decide to disconnect the alarm which I do not want to do.

Hope this helps
Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

X3 for low fluid
klewisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the jacks extended alarm go off while driving last winter. Started out on a really cold day - 10 degrees - and when the alarm went off, the temp was probably in the mid-20's. Got to the shoulder of the highway, took a look at all 4 jacks and all appeared to be stored fine. The alarm went off without me doing anything.

I spoke to HWH about it and they told me that this type of thing often happens when going from a cold to a warmer temp (I don't call mid-20's warmer, but relative to 10...) They said if you make sure all is ok with the jacks and if so, don't worry about it. Apparently it was just thermal expansion in the hydraulic system.

Regards.

Chuck

Tags
jacks, travel