RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Traveling to Make a Class A Purchase?

Iíve been looking at buying a new Thor Windsport or Hurricane 33X and have found several in my area, but have also seen some for considerably less money out of state. I realize I will still have to pay high California DMV fees and taxes, but would like to hear of any pros or cons from others who have experience making a long distance HM purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Thor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought ours 2000 miles from home and glad we did it.

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

The payment end can get a bit complicated. In 2006 I lived in California and I bought my first travel trailer from a dealer in Topeka, KS. It was a custom order and the deal was straight forward. I drove to Topeka with a cashier's check and they supplied a 30 day permit so I could drive it back.

Now I live in Washington state and bought my present motorhome in south eastern Colorado. The pictures and description looked good on RVTrader. I contacted the seller and made an appointment to fly out to see it.

Before I went I made arrangements at my bank for a wire transfer if it looked good, and contacted an inspector through NRVIA to check his availability . I flew to south eastern Colorado, looked it over and had a test drive. Everything seemed great. The seller and I signed a purchase contract conditional to passing the inspection. I phoned my bank and had $3,000 as a deposit transferred to the sellers bank and flew back home. The inspection was done two days later, including having oil, transmission, and coolant samples lab tested. The inspection turned up a couple of minor issues and the lab tests were fine. I phoned the seller to complete the sale.

The seller overnighted me the signed Certificate of Title and a set of keys. As soon as I received those I wire-transferred the balance owed to them. I didnít want to drive a-new-to-me diesel MH four days to get it home so I had Showroom Transport deliver it to me. They provided transport plates, insurance, and paid for the fuel to drive it here. (Motorhomes are too large to truck without special trailers and permits.)
Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We traveled from NC to CA to pick up our new to us Discovery 40E. Although there were rigs much closer, the one we bought in CA was considerably less expensive. We must of had 2 dozen phone calls and hundreds of pictures/videos before making the big decision to purchase two one way tickets to Sacramento, CA. No regrets at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor71 View Post
Iíve been looking at buying a new Thor Windsport or Hurricane 33X and have found several in my area, but have also seen some for considerably less money out of state. I realize I will still have to pay high California DMV fees and taxes, but would like to hear of any pros or cons from others who have experience making a long distance HM purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #5

Good info has been given.

We ended up buying close to home. That does not always work out. If you are traveling just leave yourself plenty of rest/think time away from the coach. "sleep on it"....

I would also research and PLAN ahead of time to check out a few more in the area IF POSSIBLE. Then if the first coach you thought was IT, is a bust, you have options planned and can move forward. Then you are not devastated or talk your self into or settle for something you will regret later.

If I would have traveled long distance to look at the first coach I drove a few hrs to see, I would have been really sick! It was awful and I saw photos ahead of time.

I have had friends who have traveled to buy race cars and they get tried. Arrive late at night etc. They end up buying and regretting due to not really planning enough time inspecting and resting then going back.

It is very hard but try to not let excitement and emotion get in front of logic.
Have fun!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

We bought ours in fla flew there are drove it back.I would really look at the postings about Thor products before purchasing.
jake from az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are lots of threads on this, but things can get really complicated if you are thinking of purchasing from a private party and they still have financing on the coach... and most coaches are financed because of the higher costs... and even more are upside-down on the loan.

Have you thought all of the following steps COULD happen...
They might want you to hand over money to purchase... then might have to send it off or take it to the bank pay the loan... they may have to add their own funds or the loan won't be satisfied.... If they cant pay the loan completely the they will not get the title, thinking they could just keep paying on the sold motorhome, wrong they can't.... if and when it is paid off, then the bank could release the title.... then you could get it.... and this could take weeks after the complete payment is made.

The whole time they have your money and the coach technically won't be yours till you have a title in your name.

From what I have read on here some have worked with the banks and it all worked out, and others have said they had to walk away.

Just stuff to think about before you fly or drive somewhere far and find out bad news.
Hope this helps!

Good luck!
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

The biggest hassle of buying long distance is being willing to walk away if the inspection doesn't go well...

The second biggest hassle CAN be (not always) the payment/title exchange...

Two long distance stories... I live in SoCal...

I bought two RVs, one trailer about 4 hours away in AZ, and then my current motorhome about 6 hours away in AZ...

On both purchases, I had agreed on a price long distance... pending my inspection of the RV...

On the trailer purchase, I drove the 4 hrs and looked it over. It was pristine. The dealer actually beat my financing, so I went with them... then the games began. Because they couldn't register it in CA for me.. they needed a title to receive payment. I got a title & temp reg in AZ, but when I registered in CA, because of the lien/AZ title.. I received a "Goldenrod" title. Basically, I had to jump through a couple extra hoops to clear the title when I went to sell it... Not horrible, but a hassle...

My current one was a private sale, where the owner held the title. I was worried about the title/payment exchange. I used USAA for the financing and have never had a more trouble free, vehicle finance experience. USAA actually trusted me... They sent me a check in the name of the current title holder, with directions on how to assign them as the leinholder when I registered it in CA... It went smooth as silk...

During the search for my current motor home, I did drive 6 hrs to inspect one in Northern CA at a dealer. It was in fair shape, and I offered them 9% off their asking price. They countered at 1% off.... I walked away, as the salesman said, "You sure? You drove a long way and it won't be here long..."

For the record.. the one I eventually bought is 3 years newer, in much better shape, was bought from original owner with all service/repair records, and had several more upgrades... I got it for 10% more than the dealer's counter offer on the older one I walked away from... and the one I walked away from was still listed for sale 6 months later...

It may take more time and effort to buy from out of state, but you may find a much better deal making it worth it......
hattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bought our previous motorhome on eBay. We are in CA and it was in TX. Big price savings as it was an auction that ended in the middle of the night. It was the color combo and floor plan we could not find locally.

Paid a local inspector to go over it, top to bottom. Arranged for the seller to get it into a shop for oil change and tire inflation check before we flew down to pick it up.

Having looked at a ton of photos and inspection report, I was not disappointed when we picked it up.

Would do it again.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #10

Bought new about 400 miles away. No issues. Stayed on dealer lot with hook ups for two nights.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #11

Couple of things to consider:
Figure out what your out the door price will be if you're paying higher fees and taxes. Some dealers advertise low unit prices, but charge more for other items.
Also, figure what it will cost you to fly, drive and travel.
Finally, if this is a new RV, consider the warranty implications, as some brands don't require their dealers to do warranty work on units they didn't sell. Even if they do, your best warranty repairs will come from the selling dealer, especially if it turns out to be something serious
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #12

It would be best to buy locally but you also have to do what is best for you. Maybe use the out of town pricing to help your local dealer sharpen his pencil a bit?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #13

You may have to travel further afield for better inventory &/or pricing. Our search radius gradually increased over 6 months before we finally purchased in Florida.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #14

We purchased ours about 300 miles from home. It took three trips to take delivery. The last trip after some things were repaired and I had the cashiers check in hand we discovered that the PO did not have a clear title and owed more on the unit than I was paying. We ended up staying in a motel until that was cleared up. We were dealing with a consignment dealer.

hewebb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, travel, purchase