Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Several years ago we crossed into Canada enroute to Alaska with a Remington 870 shotgun that met all Canadian requirements with the exception of a combination pistol grip/stock and a flashlight mounted on the fore stock. No issues, paid the fees and filled out the forms. The next year, we crossed going to the Maritimes. At that crossing I was given three choices "1) go back to the States, 2) check the gun at the crossing for up to 40 days or 3) go to jail. When I showed the paperwork from the previous year they stated that do to the appearance of the shot gun it wasn't for sport shooting/target shooting and therefore not acceptable. I checked the gun for the forty days and picked it up on the 40th day or they would have destroyed it. Apparantly in addition to the standards posted on the Canadian site the officer has the discreation of allowing the gun or not. It was too bad because we had intended on staying at least another month.

If you do take a shot gun that meets the Canadian standards, do not say it is for protection or they will not allow it. Make sure they know it is for sport shooting, skeet, trap, etc. and what ever you do, do not attempt to cross with a hand gun. The way they searched my motorhome after seeing the shotgun they would have found a pistol every where I would have attempted to hide one if I was that stupid.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #16

Agree with MDPD especially when stating the purpose for bringing across. Tried to look up more info but our gun laws are quite convoluted here in Canada. Looks like the least amount of problems would be with a shotgun barrel exceeding 18.5" and an overall length of 26". Also in Canada we are only allowed to have shotguns that can only contain 3 rounds including the one in the chamber.

Saw some info that mentioned $50 for the permit good for two months but that might be out of date by now

Hope that helps some. Also be aware there are further limitations if you are entering any national parks
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #17

Should have seen how excited US customs agents got when they found a box of .22 rounds I had forgot that I had in my glove box
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny068 View Post
Like the old commercial said "Don't leave home without it" Not trying to be an alarmist or start trouble, while new to RVing I have many years on the road (Truck Driver). You are your best protection.
In all my years of RV'ing the only trouble I've had was at a truck stop in Wyoming in 2004.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #19

Has anyone had their coach searched to the extent of the Border Police actually disassembling any portion of your RV? Just curious as to what extent they actually go to to find a well hidden gun. We travel through Canada every two years or so on our way to Alaska and I always like to have a pistol with me when fishing in Bear Country. Never had a problem yet but was searched returning from Alaska for food not permitted, they just did a visual. Took my $1.50 lemons for my Salmon!!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLUV
Has anyone had their coach searched to the extent of the Border Police actually disassembling any portion of your RV? Just curious as to what extent they actually go to to find a well hidden gun. We travel through Canada every two years or so on our way to Alaska and I always like to have a pistol with me when fishing in Bear Country. Never had a problem yet but was searched returning from Alaska for food not permitted, they just did a visual. Took my $1.50 lemons for my Salmon!!
You know the old saying.....Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Can you do the time?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLUV View Post
This is just a story passed along by a good friend about his trip in his motorhome last year. He had attended the Bianchi Cup match here near me and he and his wife ventured up to BC for a short trip. A border agent asked him if he had any firearms and his response was a question "Do I need one?" They had no sense of humor and pretty well dissassembled his DP. They did not find his match pistol, but it took a long time and some assembly was required. When he returned, there were many questions by U.S.Customs and they found an empty shell casing. More questions. Like a previous poster advised, don't do the crime if you can't do the time!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy RVer View Post
.... I did call the Canadian Border to see what they had to say. ....
Simple answer, Call them again for clarification.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
As I advised in my earlier post, our motorhome was searched by Canadian Boarder Patrol after the officer decided she did not like my legal shotgun. The search included the removal of all drawers from the cabinets and drawers and contents thrown on the bed, the freezer emptied and contents left in the sink, storage compartments emptied and left on the ground and cushions removed from all furniture.

Imagine the disappointment she felt when she could not find anything illegal hidden. Believe me, any place I would have hidden a handgun, it would have been found.

I will never go back to Canada except to travel through it to Alaska and I will spend as little money as possible there.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
As I advised in my earlier post, our motorhome was searched by Canadian Boarder Patrol after the officer decided she did not like my legal shotgun. The search included the removal of all drawers from the cabinets and drawers and contents thrown on the bed, the freezer emptied and contents left in the sink, storage compartments emptied and left on the ground and cushions removed from all furniture.

Imagine the disappointment she felt when she could not find anything illegal hidden. Believe me, any place I would have hidden a handgun, it would have been found.

I will never go back to Canada except to travel through it to Alaska and I will spend as little money as possible there.
Very well stated!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD

In my opinion there is no excuse for the treatment you received at the hands of the border officials. While it may do little or no good, this type of treatment should be reported in writing to your elected representatives & any other responsible authorities. Unless people speak-out against such treatment these people will continue to abuse their authority.

However, I am curious.....how were you treated while you were in Canada? We're the people rude? We're you constantly threatened and/or did you feel unsafe? Was the food particularly bad or unsafe...was the water undrinkable? In what way was your trip & experiences in Canada so distasteful that you would never return?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
In answer to your questions, no we were never mistreated by the civilians we met and in most cases truly enjoyed our time with them. Canada is a beautiful country and we loved the sites we saw. We have crossed three times at three different crossings and my only real complaint was the rude treatment by the Boarder Patrol officers on every crossing. The last time, crossing at Calis was the worst as I described earlier. Upon returning to the States I wrote a letter to the Canadian Boarder Officials and Canadian tourism department describing our treatment with all pertinant facts including the names of the rude, arrogant officers who tore our motorhome apart. I never received a reply from either department.

The USA is the most beautiful country I have ever toured (yes I am biased) which is why we have been RVing for over 35 years. I would rather spend my time and money here and avoid beginning extended travels with a bad taste in my mouth. I truly hope our Boarder Patrol officers treat Canadians with more respect and dignity when they cross to travel here.

I have never had any complaints or issues returning to the States and got a genuine warm and fuzzy feeling when every time we did we were told "welcome home". Yes we have been searched returning but always with explainations as to the purpose and with respect.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
I was wondering when I read this thread when it was gonna turn into a country bashing thread......I see I wasn't disappointed and it only took the second page to hear the whining and complaining start......
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
See if this link might have some useful info. Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu

It doesn't matter which country one visits, there will always be rude and discourteous people of authority who rub some of us the wrong way. The choices, however, are very clear; they're in control of the situation and you most likely determin how much it will bother you to abide by their rules. Take a deep breath and get on with life.
Closed Thread