Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #71

East Coast North and South

In addition to being a much less stressful trip the use of I-81 in Pennsylvania lets you experience the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. Well worth any extra miles.
A key point in the late Fall is the risk of snow and Ice on I-84 west of the Delaware river at Port Jervis at the western border of NY. The climb to Scranton PA to catch I81 in Scranton is high in the mountains. Ok in the warmer months but to be avoided in Late Fall.
Better to catch I-81 off of I-80 in Pennsylvania.
Take from I-84 take New York I-287 South to I-80 west then grab I-81 south in Drums PA.
Relax, it's not a vacation it's a journey. Enjoy the travel.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #72

I must admit, I don't get the responses that prioritize the 'quickest' route, regardless of the horrendous traffic, and roads that try to destroy your rig. As a nubie many years ago, we went I-95 and over the GW bridge in a Class A on a trip north to R.I. -- but never again. We had to have the coach repaired when we got to R.I. And the tolls were outrageous. You are driving an RV. Take your time. Use the western routes. Enjoy the scenery. Stop ocassionally and tour some interesting sites with your toad. You will get to your southern destination a few day later, but less stressed, and perhaps with some stories to share around the campfire.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #73

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconsidine View Post
Just curious, why not take 81 into Chattanooga and get on 75 directly?
WAY too many miles.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #74

Have made the trip many times. My wife is from Cape Cod (Orleans and Wellfleet), I'm from Eastern Ct. DO NOT TAKE THE WILBUR CROSS. You'll lose the top several feet of your RV passing under the low bridges. Plus RV's not allowed. Your best bet is either I84 over to 87 or even 81 south, or our preferred route, I95 over the Tappen Zee (I refuse to call it the Cuomo), I287 loops all the way around NYC and regains I95, though I prefer to pick up I78 west to I81 south. We currently live off I81 in West VA, and made the round trip about 10 times this past summer, we still keep our boat in Groton CT. We usually travel mid-week or Sundays, and try to get across the Tappen Zee by 12, that avoids most of the work traffic. By the way, we drive a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 pulling a dingy, so our length is about the same as yours. Good Luck, enjoy your trip.
debaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaker View Post
…….over the Tappen Zee (I refuse to call it the Cuomo)

I feel the same way LOL[emoji16]
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #76

As one of the many who will be making that dash south from the northeast I've also been looking for the best route, and have been following the many suggestions being offered through this thread. Although I was initially convinced that I-81 was too far west, I was surprised to discover that as many people said, it's adding minimal time to my trip, especially since I'll need to find an alternative crossing at the Baltimore tunnels.

It's looking like 287 in New York to 78 to 81 is the best route south. I'd like to rejoin I-95 in Fredericksburg.

Wondering if anyone has any experience taking US-17/US- 50 from 81 in Winchester, VA to 95 in Fredericksburg?
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
... especially since I'll need to find an alternative crossing at the Baltimore tunnels.
For reference: The best route to avoid the I-95 tunnels in Baltimore is the beltway east (via the Francis Scott Key Bridge), and the second-best is the beltway west. Light traffic on the east is the norm.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I feel the same way LOL[emoji16]
M2 I call it Tappan Zee Bridge and will always call it the Tappan Zee Bridge..
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
He has already stated that the TappanZee will tear off the top of his coach.
I'm not sure he meant that the Tappen Zee Bridge will tear off the top of his Coach. If so not sure why the OP or anyone would think that. As I stated in Post # 55 my route back to NE and back to Florida I took the Tappen Zee both ways without issues and my MH is 13'2" and my roof is very much intact. In fact I had no issues or concerns the entire trip based on the direction I took other than some rough roads in PA.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
As one of the many who will be making that dash south from the northeast I've also been looking for the best route, and have been following the many suggestions being offered through this thread. Although I was initially convinced that I-81 was too far west, I was surprised to discover that as many people said, it's adding minimal time to my trip, especially since I'll need to find an alternative crossing at the Baltimore tunnels.

It's looking like 287 in New York to 78 to 81 is the best route south. I'd like to rejoin I-95 in Fredericksburg.

Wondering if anyone has any experience taking US-17/US- 50 from 81 in Winchester, VA to 95 in Fredericksburg?
The Winchester Va. to Fredericksburg route is not a bad alternative. I have traveled it many times in Tractor Trailer, my RV and I frequent it during the summer months in my car because I help a friend race his Dirt car at Winchester Speedway. You will sometimes hit a little backup when Rt-17 meets I-95 but that is minimal this time of year. Traffic on I-95 normally thins out pretty good as soon as you clear Fredericksburg (mm 126 south bound) and you should be good to go. Flying J on West side of Exit 104 has decent price on fuel, dump station and separate RV fuel island if needed (and propane). Don't forget to take I-295 south around Richmond on your way to Florida. Much better road and much safer should you break down.

Note: There is a NEW drive through RV wash at Exit 89, Lewistown RD off I-95. They offer touchless and brush service. Even washes the top of your RV with power spray. Andrew Steel did a Youtube video. I haven't been up there yet, but it looks pretty good. Price is not bad either.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
The Winchester Va. to Fredericksburg route is not a bad alternative. I have traveled it many times in Tractor Trailer, my RV and I frequent it during the summer months in my car because I help a friend race his Dirt car at Winchester Speedway. You will sometimes hit a little backup when Rt-17 meets I-95 but that is minimal this time of year. Traffic on I-95 normally thins out pretty good as soon as you clear Fredericksburg (mm 126 south bound) and you should be good to go. Flying J on West side of Exit 104 has decent price on fuel, dump station and separate RV fuel island if needed (and propane). Don't forget to take I-295 south around Richmond on your way to Florida. Much better road and much safer should you break down.

Note: There is a NEW drive through RV wash at Exit 89, Lewistown RD off I-95. They offer touchless and brush service. Even washes the top of your RV with power spray. Andrew Steel did a Youtube video. I haven't been up there yet, but it looks pretty good. Price is not bad either.
Awesome information! Many thanks for soothing my anxious heart and for the additional pointers. All have been duly noted and greatly appreciated.

I have made this trip south many times, but this will be the first time towing an RV. Makes for an entirely different experience. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I'm feeling confident about my chosen route. Couldn't have done it without you!

Safe travels to all who will be traveling south in the next few weeks. May your journeys be rewarding and challenges nowhere to be found.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I'm not sure he meant that the Tappen Zee Bridge will tear off the top of his Coach. If so not sure why the OP or anyone would think that. As I stated in Post # 55 my route back to NE and back to Florida I took the Tappen Zee both ways without issues and my MH is 13'2" and my roof is very much intact. In fact I had no issues or concerns the entire trip based on the direction I took other than some rough roads in PA.
He was referring to the Wilbur Cross Parkway that would tear off the top of your coach. (That's if a cop doesn't arrest you first.) The Tappan Zee is fine for any legal-height vehicle.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
mjvalliere-

I take Mass Pike west to NY, then 87 south. You can also take I-91 to Hartford, then 84 west to Newburgh, followed by 87 south.

From there I go 287 to 202 to 31, then 295 at Ewing, NJ, all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. At that point, join 95 and the crowd.

Lots of folks stay on I-84 west to I-81 south in PA, then break off at route 17 in Winchester, VA. This brings you to Fredericksburg, VA, which is south of almost all the northern East Coast problem spots. Some go further south on I-81 before rejoining I-95. Note: I-81 south is a popular truck route; I have found it more stressful than I-95.
Route 84 is probably your best bet to avoid as much traffic as possible
rmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:35 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing not mentioned is the cost of tolls. If U enter NJ it will cost $28 over the Delaware Memorial bridge not to mention to the toll for rt95 about $60. Then there is the 95 Delaware toll and next the Baltimore Bridge toll. So you are looking at over $125 in tolls and a lot of traffic. Just not worth95 it.
OR you could pick up 287 , then 206 to 295 to eliminate NJTP , still get the 28 bucks to get out of NJ. Then get off 95 S just before the the Delaware toll and head toward Middletown on 71 to pick up 301 south and down to Annapolis to 301/50 and take 301 , One toll to cross Potomac, down to 95 just above Richmond and use the 295 loop around Richmond to 95. There is traffic but not like Baltimore or Washington. And it is a relatively FLAT ride.

Tags
travel