Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #29

An idea I had from living in the south is rigging up some type of curtain that I could close behide the driver and passenger seats to help keep the the wife and I cooler by using the dash ac rather than running the gen and roof mounted ac units during the summer while on our trips. I would think this could also be helpful in keeping the driver area warm as well just by using the dash heater.
Sand41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #30

Thanks to everyone for your input.
While receiving some excellent comments on either travelling with the generator running and a space heater, or simply travelling with the propane furnace running, we've decided to travel with the propane furnace running.
Propane is a relatively economical fuel, and the overall heat and distribution through out the coach is better, we can set the thermostat to the desired temperature and it will supply heat to the basement.
All things considered, running the propane furnace makes the most sense.
Thanks again.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #31

We have traveled with the generator running to run the ac. But I think it would be more efficient to use an inverter to run an electric heater. Fuel is one cost but there is a bigger picture to running the generator. That is figuring the maintenance costs. By manufacturers standards a generator requires maintenance every 250 hours. So for longevity and efficiency a low draw heater would make more sense for an inverter. Just my $.02
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #32

Will add my recommendation for the curtains behind driver and passenger. Something as simple as a plastic sheet will work, we put up a set of cheap Wallymart drapes on a rod. goes under bed when done leaving only two small hooks on each wall. We leave late January from Winnipeg and have been as cold as -34c using only dash heat, we had our warm coats on for the first day, but it really makes a difference. One return trip we didn't bother and we froze our butts off for the last day home.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
We have traveled with the generator running to run the ac. But I think it would be more efficient to use an inverter to run an electric heater. Fuel is one cost but there is a bigger picture to running the generator. That is figuring the maintenance costs. By manufacturers standards a generator requires maintenance every 250 hours. So for longevity and efficiency a low draw heater would make more sense for an inverter. Just my $.02
I'm not sure why people do not want to run their furnace while traveling. The furnace will distribute the heat throughout the coach and add heat to the basement to heat the wet bay and keep the floors warmer which make the living area easier to heat. Running an electric heater off of the inverter could overload the inverter. Run the furnace and if more heat is needed, run the generator to feed an electric heater. I have traveled in -15* weather with two furnaces and the generator ran for 36 hours keeping the basement above 40* and the coach in the upper 60's. I don't much care about efficiency when it comes to my comfort and the safety of the water system.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #34

Just took our gas coach to AZ from Ontario. Only ran cab heater for the 4 day drive down. Unit was winterized till we reached Tucson. Stayed at KOA,s and only hooked up ac power to run portable electric heaters and occasional propane furnace. Temperatures averaged minus 15 c. No problems at all

Tags
generator, travel