Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trickle chargers

What is a good 6 volt trickle charger for the coach batteries?
Ferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg1 View Post
Why a 6 volt charger?? Why not 12 volts for the 12 volt bank of house batteries?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #3

I have a 200 watt solar panel that maintains my chassis batteries with all other systems off. Easy day.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:35 PM   #4

You probably want a 12v charger, and connect the + - leads to the terminals on your battery bank that go into the coach.

That said, if you have power, why not use the charger/inverter in the coach to keep your batteries charged?
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
So i can unplug the inverter in my coach and plug it into an external 120v source. My issue is during storage. I only have access to 1 120v outlet..
Old 05-18-2022, 08:16 PM   #6

Still not understanding your problem, just plug your coach into the 120V outlet using a dogbone adapter and let its existing converter or inverter charger handle maintaining the batteries, this assumes that it is a reasonably modern multi stage charging system.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I prefer to disconnect and use a maintainer, fewer opportunities for problems that way. Any "tender" product that's 1% or more of your Ah capacity will work great. So for a pair of GC-2's @ 220 Ah, a 2.2A or bigger tender checks the box.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #8

I installed this one in the engine compartment of my DP and ran wires to the battery bank. While parked and using everything except the AC's and electric cooktop, the batteries stay at 13.4 volts and 99-100% charged. I was plugged into a 15 amp 120V outlet. It works great plugged into a remote 2KW Honda generator 100' away. Good power and no noise. It also works well as a maintainer too.

https://www.solar-electric.com/iota-...All%20Products
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming you have 6v batteries for the house system, they are series-wired in pairs such that each pair is a 12v battery. Just use a 12v maintainer for the pair. You will want a fairly high-amperage maintainer because a pair of 6v GC2 batteries makes a 12v with amp-hour capacity in the 210-230 AH range.

If you really want to maintain them separately, there are quality 6v models available. Battery Tender has one, for example.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:06 AM   #10

Battery tender and battery minder were mainstays Noco gets good reviews. Ones that don't die and the actually draw down your batts or cook them like some cheaper trickle chargers. One just posted of cooked batts on $25-30 trickle. You can also put a trickle on a plug in timer. BUT you cant necessarily expect/trust the isolator/combiner to kick in at maintainer level and not working combine solenoid is most common problem across every brand/model. So be thinking two of them one for chassis. An inexpensive marine 10-20 amp dual charge/maintainer might be something to think about like Guest or similar seem to get high reviews. It can double as an actual charger if you need it on the road. Be aware a 10a dual is most likely 5a each but I'm pretty sure you can combine to speed up a charge for low battery.
Kind of kick myself ,a rear high end marine 3 or 4 bank popped up on FB marketplace darn cheap with one dead bank, and didn't grab it. It was warranty replaced on boat they said to keep it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:30 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
12V not 6V...

Your inverter/charger should keep the house batteries charged just fine. It is designed to keep the batteries properly maintained.

For your chassis batteries, I'd suggest a NOCO Genius GEN5X1, which is what I use. A well built product, designed for marine use.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:38 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
So plugging my rv into a 20 amp outlet at my house my inverter in my coach should be charging my coach batteries as long as i keep my 12v switch off so there is no drain on batteries. For some reason I was under the assumption that i needed 30/50 amp service for my inverter to work..
Old 05-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #13

For the last 21 years, I have kept my coach plugged into the house 15/20 amp outlet 24/7 when we are home. It keeps the house and the starting batteries all charged perfectly. BUT a couple of cautions:
  • Check to see if your coach inverter/charger is turned on.
  • Check to make sure the circuitry in your coach is designed to charge both sets , starting and house batteries.
  • If for some reason your house or starting batteries are low on charge, I set my energy center to limit the charging to 15 amps maximum. That way it won't trip the house outlet.
  • Once the inverter/charger is up and running and the batteries are fully charged, you should be able to run many other things, like refrigerator, fans TV etc. Just keep a eye on the total current your are using.
  • I can even run one roof top air conditioner while on the house 15/20 amp outlet. I just keep a eye on voltage and max current.
  • If you should lose power to the house outlet, the inverter will start to drain the battery bank by trying to convert 12 volt battery power into 120 volt power. . If you can, turn off the inverter, but leave the charger on.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
So plugging my rv into a 20 amp outlet at my house my inverter in my coach should be charging my coach batteries as long as i keep my 12v switch off so there is no drain on batteries. For some reason I was under the assumption that i needed 30/50 amp service for my inverter to work..
Correct, assuming you have a fairly new coach with modern power management. You don't even need to turn the 12v switch off. My coach will run everything except the ACs and floor heat on a 15 amp. It will even run one of the ACs on 20 amp. All you need is a 50 to 20 amp dog bone.

You never stated what year make and model coach you have. That might help get a better answer.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger