Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
My 2 year old Kwikee steps started banging really hard when they stopped a couple of weeks ago. Didn't take long before they were dangling. I pulled the motor and gearbox off, took the motor off the gear box and was surprised when the gears were good.

Next I took the metal cover off the motor. The pictures show the condition of the driven plate inside the plastic gear and the shaft through it were rusted badly. When I tried to take the snap ring off it broke.

The other pictures show the opening through the plate wallowed out, and the deterioration of the shaft. I cleaned the plate and shaft and welded them together. It works fine, but there's no way it should have failed in such a short time because of corrosion that severe.

A little hint when you put the the motor and gear box back on the steps- put the motor on the gear box with the arm in the middle of the stroke. The movement of the steps closed to open is less than the distance between the stops cast into the gear box cover. That way the motor stalls when the steps are locked in or out. If the arm is against either stop it's past the maximum extension or retraction of the steps and the pin won't line up.

Taking the motor and gearbox off looks straight forward. Anything to know when taking the plastic gear out of the gearbox? Sounds like many just replace the entire gearbox but I would rather replace just the gear if that's the only problem My motor works great. I believe I am missing teeth. So when pull the motor off the gearbox, is there any trick to getting the plastic gear out of the gearbox housing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
If in fact, the plastic gear is missing teeth, someone here just rotated the gear until the missing teeth weren't engaging the motor in its travel. He said it worked fine.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:01 AM   #17

so I've had my gear box open, cleaned and re-lubed and back together....

my problem is when it rains hard.... sometimes the steps refuse to deploy and stay retracted until they dry out.... I've checked and checked the connections, added some dielectric grease and continue to have the problem.... now thinking that moisture is getting into the circuit board and am thinking of pulling it off and looking at the back of the box.....

anyone been here before with the same problem
Old 11-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Taking the motor and gearbox off looks straight forward. Anything to know when taking the plastic gear out of the gearbox? Sounds like many just replace the entire gearbox but I would rather replace just the gear if that's the only problem My motor works great. I believe I am missing teeth. So when pull the motor off the gearbox, is there any trick to getting the plastic gear out of the gearbox housing?
The shaft goes through the gear and housing, there are 2 snap rings on it. Take off the one with a thin washer on the outside of the plastic housing. I used a pair of needle nose pliers in the holes in the the plate to pull it and the shaft out of the housing, you could also probably push the shaft out from the back, then you can take out the plastic gear.

Going back together there's a thin O ring that goes around the opening of the gear housing that's sort of hard to keep in the groove, if you grease it up pretty well that will hold it in place.

There is no timing on the gears in the motor, or the position of either gear in the gear box. The motor stops because of increased current draw so however you assemble it will work.

But, to make hooking the step to the arm on the gear box easier put everything together with the curved arm in the middle of the stroke. If it's against either stop on the gear box cover it will be past the movement the steps are capable of and the the pin won't line up.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #19
WTB

Just had this problem. When I took the motor down and opened it up I found the plastic gears inside stripped. This prevented the steps from locking in either the open or closed position. May be the same problem you are having.
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tricky Kwikee

Hello Everyone.

Found the smoking gun on why my Kwikee Steps chatters and sometimes does not lock in the open position.

The small gear on the motor called the Pinion Gear has 3 stripped teeth. Pulled the whole motor and gear box assembly off and took both the gear box apart and the motor. Motor itself is fine. The small gear on it is stripped. It's a metal gear by the way.

My gear box is original and not called a Pre IMGL but just IMGL. My planetary gear in the gear box is not plastic its steel and the teeth are in great shape. I wanted to buy just the small gear and of course you cannot find one or buy one. At least I couldn't find one. So I broke down and bought a replacement motor with the pinion gear included and will use the new motor and original gear box and save my original motor as a spare.

By the way the motor with shipping was $100.00. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I replaced my motor last May, the best price I found was here: https://www.amequipment.com/shop?cat...DC+Gear+Motors

The price for my motor has increased from about $60 to about $100.

I believe that the most likely cause for the failure is putting weight on the step before it's fully extended. My failure manifested very shortly I had left it for service and I suspect that an impatient tech may have bounded down the steps, before they were fully extended, in a rush to expedite a repair.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. There are lots of YouTube videos showing the motor replacement process.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:16 AM   #22

Watch this guide....
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
When I replaced my motor last May, the best price I found was here: https://www.amequipment.com/shop?cat...DC+Gear+Motors

The price for my motor has increased from about $60 to about $100.

I believe that the most likely cause for the failure is putting weight on the step before it's fully extended. My failure manifested very shortly I had left it for service and I suspect that an impatient tech may have bounded down the steps, before they were fully extended, in a rush to expedite a repair.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. There are lots of YouTube videos showing the motor replacement process.
Thank you 777.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #24

Kwiki Steps

hello Stonehands
just came back to see how You making out .
check out E-Bay , under RV Parts + Accessories ,I think its on Page 5 , they have a Gear kit for the Step Motor , see if it is the same as Yours , if so the Price is right ( &27.99 )
Good Luck OLD MARINE
oldmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
I searched the forum prior to asking this but could not find my specific issue
There are a lot of other places that have great info on taking care of RV's and in your case Kwikee Power Steps. Like Youtube for instance. I love youtube and there are some real good RV channels there that can show you how to trouble shoot and maintain a myriad of RV items including Kwikee Power Steps.

Just try it. Go to youtube.com and search for "RV KwiKee Power Steps: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW", as an example. I'm sure you find some great how-to vids there that may help you.

Good luck my friend.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps