Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2022, 05:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Trim Delaminating

The plastic trim on my vehicle is delaminating at the corners. The body is curved and the double-sided adhesive tape is destined to fail. I saw a King Aire that must have had the same issue as a rivet was used to attach the corner. See pictures of mine and that King Aire.

Before I resort to a fastener, I am trying to adhere it. Cleaning out some of the double-side tape and inserting enough quick setting glue is near impossible, let alone manually applying pressure for a long enough time. Just not working.

I am now thinking about UV activated glue (like Bondic). I have no experience with it (except being at the dentist). Input welcome on if this is a possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Trim Delamination Right Side.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	380870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim Attachment Sample 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	380871  

righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2022, 05:44 AM   #2

It's been my experience that reattaching a piece like that ( which is apparently not shaped), with glue and without completely removing it and starting from scratch is not a long term solution.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
It's been my experience that reattaching a piece like that ( which is apparently not shaped), with glue and without completely removing it and starting from scratch is not a long term solution.
Yeah unfortunately I agree. I resist completely removing the trim piece because it is not shaped thus doubt even that would be a long-term solution.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure UV activated glue would work in this case because the UV will not get to the glue behind the trim. I think the rivet may be the best case for holding this down.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Why not reset the trim and use a pop rivet like the newer ones have?
Old 11-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Why not reset the trim and use a pop rivet like the newer ones have?
Did not know the new ones use that. See my pic in the first post where it was done on a 2017 King Aire. I do not know if that was done by Newmar at the factory or afterwards.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:18 PM   #7

I guess I'm going to go against the popular opinion here and suggest trying both the tape the glue route first.

I had something similar once --but not identical-- on a trim molding on a vehicle and on the advice of a friend who worked at a body shop for a time, used the 3M double-sided tape and had no problem with it coming off again.

3M™ Super Strength Molding Tape

Through Amazon: 3M™ Super Strength Molding Tape

I have also in the past used J-B Weld on an RV where a portion of laminate in one section at a corner was loose and used just a small amount of J-B Weld SuperWeld near the corner and then to hold it down, used several pieces of no-residue duct tape or gaffers tape to secure it for at least a day. When I removed the tape, it seemed like it adhered perfectly with no sign of it being loose. Again, never had a problem with it coming undone again.

At Amazon: J-B Weld 33120H SuperWeld Glue - Clear Super Glue - 20g

At Amazon: Industrial Max Strength Duct Tape, No residue (Silver)

I might try either of those before a pop-rivet but that's just me. A rivet seems "too permanent" to use where I might desire a cleaner look. I've used rivets in places where aesthetics don't come into play but that trim piece looks to be right on the front cap (?) where I'd prefer not to see a rivet if possible. Of course if tape or glue does not work, then I suppose you'd have to revert to a rivet.

(good to hear you were able to reach Summit and found them helpful. Were they able to actually solve your problem?)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #8

Mask where you don't want glue. You could use a needle and syringe with 3M trim adhesive then use air to blow all the way into where it's not peeling back. . Park near something you can push against, use a board drilled with nut and bolt like a house jack.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #9

3M body double sided trim tape (available at pro auto body shops). That's what gets used.
Then a stainless pop rivit.

No glue. No UV glue.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
3M body double sided trim tape (available at pro auto body shops). That's what gets used.
Then a stainless pop rivit.

No glue. No UV glue.
The 3M tape alone did not work. Just too much bend in the trim piece. Stainless pop rivet with a washer on the backside looks like the fix. Thanks.