Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trip from Prince George BC to Hope to Thunder Bay Ontario

I am planning a Round Trip in a 38 foot motorhome towing in Jully from St Louis Mo to Bamff and Jasper National Parks of Canada and home through Prince George BC and Hope BC then taking Hy 3 to Hwy 1 and on to Thunder Bay Ontario and then to Door County, Chicago and back to St Louis. 2 month total.
I am wondering how the roads are particularly hw 3 and both hwy 3 and hwy 1 for Diesel Fuel. I like to get fuel every 400 to 500 miles.
ldavid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hwy 1 in Canada has frequent service stations. I usually fill up on the top half of the tank as I then know If I am having trouble finding a station I have good range to find my next easy access service station.

Hwy 3 I have never travelled so an unknown for myself. Hope BC has a nice filling station for diesel MH’s.

Enjoy your trip, that is some great countryside to see.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #3

I can't think of any highway in southern BC where diesel isn't available in 400/500 miles .

I've driven 16 from Jaspar to the 5 junction in my coach many times ; I haven't covered the 16 from the junction of 5 to PG .
97 from PG to the 1 and into Hope , keep up to date on road conditions at " Drive BC " web site , major wildfire crossed the 1 last summer and areas might be under construction . #3 Hope to the Alberta border has some steep sections watch your speed at the summits and have your engine/exhaust brake in good working order , went through three years ago , it's not a quick trip but totally doable .
I've lived all my life in BC and only a couple of roads I've driven by car that I'd be reluctant to take my coach on ; 99 & 24 come to mind.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just drove Hwy 3 from Hope BC to Oliver BC four days ago, about 160 miles. Our 38 ft pusher towing a Cherokee burned about a 1/4 tank. You'll find diesel in Hope at Flying J and retail gas stations along the way at Princeton, Keremeos, Penticton, Kelwona etc. You'll have no trouble getting diesel. You'll find more truck stops along Hwy 1 but they're mostly card lock stations, otherwise, you'll find diesel in every town along the way.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #5

Live in Kenora on the Trans canada
Lots of beauty here and east to Tbay

Trip from Tbay to duluth or Sault St Marie is epic worth the trip
Grew up in STLMO

PM a message if i can help with anything
cyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I’d suggest you head to Hope, BC 1st, then up to Prince George (thru Fraiser Canyon), across to Jasper down to Banff and across 1 to Thunder Bay. You really only want to cross the Canadian prairies once. Diesel will not be a problem, but you’ll not find any discount cards. Flying J/Pilot has stations and still gives RV discounts, you can use your TSD card but with no discounts. The most remote section is across northern Ontario.
ORCowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:50 PM   #7

A quick tip, fill up before leaving Manitoba east bound. You can then make it all the way to Thunder Bay and refill on the reserve. Fuel in Ontario is a good bit more expensive than Manitoba. The reserve in Thunder Bay will be a fair fit cheaper than other stations in town, at least have been in the past.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote