Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #1

Trip Mechanical pre check

2003 Winnebago Journey DL cat 330 Allison 6speed transmission
97,700 miles freightliner chasi
Only records are last tires change,oil change, generator service. So ok on those items.
Have an appointment with a respectable Freightliner Service center in Chandler Az.
What would you have them change , check or test before hitting the road full time. I myself not mechanically great.
Thanks for your reply.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

I suggest you have them do a complete "safety check", which can include but is not limited to: brakes, fluids, exterior lighting, leaks around engine and transmission, hoses, alignment, tire date codes and pressures, and a few things I'm sure I've forgotten. Also, if you don't know the last time it was completed, fuel filters, engine oil, and air filters.
gregoryd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #3

Call Caterpillar with your engine serial number. They can tell you if the valves have ever been adjusted (IF done by a Caterpillar dealership and that info sent to Caterpillar Corp). Anyway, they can tell you all the history from your engine that they have.

Caterpillar: 877 777-3126

And, if you do need a valve adjustment, I would take it to a Caterpillar dealer. Kind of like going to a surgeon not a GP for surgery. You want someone who has adjusted valves on your model engine several times in the last week, not someone who only did one last year.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #4

Money spent for pre-trip maintenance is usually good insurance. If you get a through check and replace it will not be cheap, and it is very difficult to know what would have happened if you had not spent the money. If it were me, I'd spend the money to get everything mentioned, and then sleep much better on the trip.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #5

My 2007 Bounder had 12,000 miles on it when I bought it 6 years ago.

As soon as I got home with it, I had new tires put on it. Next I took it to the Rush Truck center, Caterpillar service center and them change fluid and filters in everything on the engine. Then I took it to Freightliner for a front end alignment, then on to Cummins for a complete service of the genny.

I've done all my own oil changes and servicing since.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm a believer in if you dont know assume it was not done.

I would change coolant, trans fluid and filter, fuel water seperation filter and fuel filter. Check belts, hoses, rear end lub, air filter. Inspect and change if needed air dryer. Inspection of brakes, lube chassis and drive line.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mechanic