Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Smile Trip Planner

We have a Mackbook Pro laptop and I m looking for software that will help us plan our route, show us places to see and stay as well as store the routes after we have traveled them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

If you have the module to run windows programs I'd recommend Microsoft Streets and Trips. It serves me quite well.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We use Allstays app. Find it good for routes , campgrounds and services
Yellowpointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #4

"We use Allstays app. Find it good for routes , campgrounds and services"

X2

Since we got the Allstays app we have not used our GPS. If you have cell service your good to go. It is well worth the $9.99
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

With my iPad, I first use the maps function to identify various routes. Then Good Sam's 'Plan a Trip' to identify potential parks. I then check those parks in rvparkreviews.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Thank you sir! However, I do not have any MS operating system capability. We only have MS Office running on the MacBook.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, If you are a member of Good Sam go on their website on click on plan a trip and then you could plan your trip and print it out. It also will tell you the campgrounds, rest areas, fuel stops and calculate your gas mileage, that is to say how much the trip will cost you for gas or diesel.

I use it all the time to get ideas before I put the trip in my gps.

You can also go to www.mapquest.com and plan a trip that way.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

We plan our own trips by mostly using campgroundreviews.com for camping locations, and google searches like "visit yuma az" for things to see and do at stops along the way. My old Garmin tells me how to get from point to point, and sometimes I even listen to it. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Try RV Parky - an app for tablets as well as a website. 0.99 on Apple, free on Android and the website is free - although it is so good I made a "donation"

You can only plan trips on the website.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Tom-NC;1876152]Hi, If you are a member of Good Sam go on their website on click on plan a trip and then you could plan your trip and print it out. It also will tell you the campgrounds, rest areas, fuel stops and calculate your gas mileage, that is to say how much the trip will cost you for gas or diesel.

I use it all the time to get ideas before I put the trip in my gps.

XX2
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyW View Post
We have a Mackbook Pro laptop and I m looking for software that will help us plan our route, show us places to see and stay as well as store the routes after we have traveled them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
If you really want something/someone else to plan your route, what you see and where to stay then try AAA. They will plan your route, tell you what there is to see, where to eat and where to stay.

If you want to decide on the go then just go to something like mapquest and look at where you want to maybe go. Look at possible routes. See what towns and cities are on the way and look for things to see and while you are on the road just stop when you feel like it.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #12

Cindy W - I also have a Mac Book Pro and none of the usual programs will work on it running the Apple OS. Google Maps has a pretty good saving feature that does allow you to do some planning. The new Apple maps on Mac Books is a nice little map program but limited. The program I have used quite a bit in the past is the Good Sam TL software. It only runs on Windows. Since we have four Windows laptops I leave a copy on one of those. IMHO the TL (Tailer Life) software is much more useful than Streets and Trips, which is an anachronism from the 1990's. I just gave away my 2013 Streets and Trips for free to someone on this forum.

I also like paper maps. An anachronism from way way back. The book maps with RV Parks on them are handy. I also LOVE the Benchmark maps which are just super detailed and cannot say enough good things about them. I buy those for the States I know I am going to so I can find 4WDrive trails. Not cheap, but very very good.

I also use a Garmin a lot. I have the campground POI in it. Mine tells me which lane to get into which I like a lot. And it always works unlike sometimes working smartphone maps systems which work sorta maybe on Feb 29 when a blue moon is present. Or you can get lost somewhere. That adds to RV drama.

I do have a question for you. How do you tow a 2013 RDX? Acura told me I could not do it. We have an MDX and was told that could not be towed.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #13

I recently came across what appears to be an excellent trip planner for Mac folks:

Road Trip Planner

WxToad
wxtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
My favorite thus far is all stays app in concert with AAA website. I play with several drive length options (will I drive 8 or 10 hours) and see where that gets me, then use all stays to point out interesting things in that range. So far so good.

I'm reading about the harvest hosts site to boondock at wineries and farms. This seems COOL!! Anyone a member and have an opinion? Unique RV Overnight Stops with Harvest Hosts

Basically I like choosing some goal destinations and use AAA to find routes. And I've not found a better way to add in a stop on the way to an adventure.

While driving, I have the rand McNally GPS, so far really like it but I like doing the research and having a plan before the diesel roars.
Rpiersie is offline   Reply With Quote