Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say if someone gets bored going to Alaska, then they should go to the Big Apple and leave the great places to the rest of us to enjoy, IMO. I don't really need someone else to create things for me to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #30

Made the trip last summer (11,000 miles) towing a Honda CRV. Roads do not cause damage to vehicles; drivers cause the damage. You do have to be attentive, especially for the little flags marking bad pavement or frost heaves. If you are approaching another vehicle, especially on a curve, you do need to slow down. Oncoming vehicles do not throw rocks forward into you, but they throw them up in the air and leave it up to you how hard you want to hit them.

We did not have a single ding or nick from the trip. It is important not to be in a hurry - if you try to do 400 - 500 mile days you will be miserable and probably do damage to your rig. 200 - 300 mile days will let you slow down where you need to and maybe appreciate the scenery.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #31

Just got back from there, 4 chips in the windshield, one broken headlight. Mud and lots of tar to remove, very rough ride in our Vista 31T. Would never do the Watson Lake to Dawson City again, not much to see and the hundreds of construction and gas hauling trucks who could care less on the damage they cause.
Lots of construction on roads using gravel to make repairs, very dusty and lots of flying rocks.
Doing it again we would come up the Cassiar Highway to Watson Lake and go from there. Cassiar was the best highway and very little traffic.
I don't have any problem doing it in the Vista, that's what we bought it for.
dbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Alaska by RV is #1 on my bucket list, just can't seem to get it done with major family medical issues. My wind shield is a rock magnet. We've had this coach 2. 1/2 years: rock chips we've had 6 or 7 and a 20" crack. All on interstate or US highways in the lower 48 states
Just give me a chance to go to Alaska, I would leave tomorrow if I could.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Just got back from a 40 day Alaska trip in our 36 foot class A Triple E Commander towing a Honda CRV. Did not remove my big rear mud flap so got rock chips on the front of our CRV. Not sure if it would have helped much on the gravel sections. My problems is I drive like stink so I take full blame. Lots of frost heaves , most are marked by cones or flags or signs. Go SLOW ... about 35 / 40 mph. My problem is because some were not bad at all , I didn't slow for others that were bone shattering. Whitehorse to Dawson City was bad as was a lot of Alaska.
The road trip to Haines Junction to Haines is a must see ... very scenic , then take ferry to Skagway , or do Skagway to Haines. Also Anchorage to Homer and Seward is very scenic .... mtns. and glaciers, and alpine meadows.
Denali .... go just to see it.... best view of Mt. Denali was from Talkeneeta.
Stay for free at Cabelas in Anchorage. Seward , Homer and Haines stay on the oceanfront.
Enjoy and have no worries.
Lineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote