Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
NavyChaps, Sorry to hear of your problems with the new motor home. It almost sounds as though the Ford V-10, for whatever reason, experienced a catastrophic failure of internal parts. It could have been sitting around and the oil became compromised before you purchased it, or it could have been an assembly defect that reared its ugly head as you headed home to AR. These motors are extremely reliable and, if serviced regularly, give great performance and have a remarkable longevity. Of course, there are always exceptions, and maybe yours falls into that category. I know that Ford will honor the warranty (what is to prevent them from doing so since it is a new coach?). Good luck with the resolution of your dilemma and keep us posted.

Bronk

Actually BillnRoz are the one's having issues, mine is great. I would really like to hear from Bill on what they found so far though.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #30

Triton v10 gas motorhome

This was a Fleetwood Tioga, that according to Fleetwood manufacturing, had just rolled out of their plant 3 weeks ago and was driven from Indiana to Hammond, Louisiana just a week before we bought it.

At the moment, it has been towed to Natchez, Miss. and is there in a Ford Dealership having the engine removed. Since there were no FAULT codes thrown, there is nothing on the computer for them to see. It arrived on Monday AM Nov. 14th and problem is still undiagnosed, three days later. The owner of the dealership is saying, "This is a VERY serious problem and Ford is driving this process." It is a very powerless feeling to pay close to $100K for something and not even get to take it home. I would like your feedback on how you think this situation should be handled. Some have said, "Cancel the Check!!"
BillnRoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnRoz View Post
.... I would like your feedback on how you think this situation should be handled. Some have said, "Cancel the Check!!"
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
This was a Fleetwood Tioga, that according to Fleetwood manufacturing, had just rolled out of their plant 3 weeks ago and was driven from Indiana to Hammond, Louisiana just a week before we bought it.

At the moment, it has been towed to Natchez, Miss. and is there in a Ford Dealership having the engine removed. Since there were no FAULT codes thrown, there is nothing on the computer for them to see. It arrived on Monday AM Nov. 14th and problem is still undiagnosed, three days later. The owner of the dealership is saying, "This is a VERY serious problem and Ford is driving this process." It is a very powerless feeling to pay close to $100K for something and not even get to take it home. I would like your feedback on how you think this situation should be handled. Some have said, "Cancel the Check!!"
You know, stuff happens. I understand your frustration but any vehicle could have experienced similar issues. I, personally would wait and see what Ford does. I think they will make it right and you will get many years of great use out of the rig. Of course, you will have to learn to "trust" the rig once it is returned. Having never experienced the issues you are having, I do not pretend to fully understand your frustartion, but I do not see how you win by opting for a "nuclear" option without first allowing the warranty to try and work it out. Not sure what the lemon laws are for the states involved but there is a process that must be worked through. Remember, V-10s are high reving engines that most have found to be trouble free, I do hate that you are the "one guy" who got a faulty one. Please keep us up to date on how Ford responds.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #33

I think you need to let ford replace the engine. Which they will do if internal parts have failed. The v-10 is a very reliable engine, but some do fail. Thats what a warranty is for. They will fix it. It does take time though.

You can also ask Ford for assistance in going back to retrieve the MH once repaired or transport.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #34

I think the V-10 is a great engine. This is our second one.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #35

Right now, I think the Ford F450 Triton V10 is like the stock-market. Risky. Ford didn't take much if anything from the Stimulus Package. Maybe they should have and put it toward product development.
BillnRoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Right now, I think the Ford F450 Triton V10 is like the stock-market. Risky. Ford didn't take much if anything from the Stimulus Package. Maybe they should have and put it toward product development.

the V-10 is probably the most prolific engine in MHs today and has been around more than 10 years...I hear your frustration but most of us who have them are happy and trouble free. Hang in there, it will get better~
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
The reason that Ford didn't take money from the stimulus package was because they already took their own medicine about 2 years before the big implosion. I would in fact trust Ford more readily than GM or Chrysler at this time. They cut out vehicle lines that weren't doing well, found ways to work more efficiently and worked pretty hard to improve their image by improving the quality of their vehicles. And I would be willing to bet that their employees are really thankful that they did. I'm sure they have had a lot fewer sleepless nights as a result.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't believe that Ford will let you down. I think that this "event", though unpleasant to say the least, is an exception and since it is new unit, the warranty will take care of the repair/replacement. It doesn't sound as though you were irresponsible or in any way contributed to the failure - it's just one of those things that happens to most of us at one time or another. My advice would be to let the "system (Ford)" work and once repaired, enjoy the motor home. Sorry about the confusion : RE - mya previous post.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Sorry about the confusion : RE - mya previous post.

Bronk
I'll give you a pass...this time
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #40

Good afternoon, This is my first time on but as the thread really hit home~
We just lost our well maintained and used 1999 34J Bounder (no slides) because the V10 blew a pin hole in the head (74K miles). We have since been told that thisis a known issue and that the upgraded replacement heads throw spark plugs throught the wall. Wonderful! We had purchased the unit new and kept it on the road; it did not like gravel at all but pavement was just fine. We upgraded the braking and transmission over time - overall the unit was grand. We now have a used 40' diesel... I do not see that much of a difference in noise or "smoothness". The 2 slides took a terrific amount of storage away; we could not move from the 34J directly into this 40' rig.
CherieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
At about 12,000 miles my 2007 ford V10 started to knock. Took it to the dealer and they tried to make excuses why the engine failed. First they said it failed because I used an aftermarket oil filter. Fought with them for about two weeks on that one, and I finally won. They finally told me a vacuum hose was sitting on the block and burned a hole in it. This they claimed it let dirt in the cylinders and scratched 2 cylinders.

They replaced engine under warrant, however it took them 3 months. 3 summer months.

I think I would ask the dealer for a different Moho. It has been 3 years since my engine failed and every time I get in the Moho, I wonder if it will make the trip. So far, no more problems, but it sure took the joy out of my Moho.

Sorry you are going through this.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
When I first bought my unit, I did some research on the spark plug issue as that got my attention in a real hurry.
What I read was that the spark plugs use a minimal amount of threads in the head. If the spark plug is removed and the replaced and there is any error in that process (i.e. not torqued correctly or cross threaded) it can punt the spark plug out stripping the threads in the aluminum? head. It isn't really a design flaw but it doesn't leave much room for error either (a costly proposition). However with gosh knows how many Triton V-10's out there, the distinct impression that I was left with was that although there are a few horror tales, the Triton is a very good engine overall with many years of use in different variations to back it up.

Tags
gas, motorhome, v10