Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Trojan t105 battery charger

I have 2 t105s, anyone have a suggestion for a decent battery charger that will actually charge them up fully and wont break the bank? The charger invertor built in is not charging the batteries fully.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked the voltage at the batteries during the charging cycle? If the inverter is a multistage charger (most are), there should be a bulk charge of about 14V or so, followed by a float charge of 13 - 13.5V, then it should stop charging and just go into a standby mode (batteries should read around 12.7 - 12.6). When battery voltage drops below 12.6, charger should come out of standby mode and go back to float mode and bring them back up to full charge.

Have you checked the batteries? Disconnect them and load test them if possible or test each cell with a hydrometer. If the batteries are weak or failing, they may not be able to be brought up to a full charge. I recently replaced my house batteries for that very reason. They would never get to a full charge and the inverter/charger would just bang away at them in the float charge mode forever.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #3

The old charger only get the pair to something like 12.5, what I have read is that the onboard charger converter, even a modern 3 stage converter,does not charge the trojan batteries to the right voltage. I would like to add solar but cant justify that expense right now. Discuss.....
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Put in a Inverter/Charger with a 3 stage charging.
My 99 Fleetwood came with a Freedom 10 and has been charging a pair of T-105's OK for the last 15 years. I just put the 3rd pair in last week.

Here is a used one

4 Days left on bids

Many other choices
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trojan 105's should be abortion mode charged to 14.8 volts, per Trojan. If not, a goodly amount of capacity is not realized. My Morningstar TS-60 solar charge controller can and is configured to do this. Many chargers will not charge to 14.8 volts, or if they will are not configured to do so - one reason being that many inverters will sense over-voltage and shut down. Manufacturers of chargers are aware of this and design or configure to a lower voltage.

If one wants to fully charge Trojan 105's and other similar charge voltage batteries one should carefully select their charger and inverter accordingly.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Trojan 105's should be abortion mode charged to 14.8 volts, per Trojan. If not, a goodly amount of capacity is not realized. My Morningstar TS-60 solar charge controller can and is configured to do this. Many chargers will not charge to 14.8 volts, or if they will are not configured to do so - one reason being that many inverters will sense over-voltage and shut down. Manufacturers of chargers are aware of this and design or configure to a lower voltage.

If one wants to fully charge Trojan 105's and other similar charge voltage batteries one should carefully select their charger and inverter accordingly.
agreed. my inverter freedom 20d only charges up to 14.4v max for an hour then shifts to float at 13.5v. I set my solar controller to 14.8v.
for those without solar charging, the best bet would be every couple months doing an equalizing, which will run at 16.3v for 8 hours.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Since you have 225 amphours of capacity...you are best served by a charger that can put out 15-20% of that. I recommend the IOTA 45amp charger with the IQ smart charge system. Amazon.com: IOTA DLS-45/IQ4 12 VOLT 45 AMP 4 STAGE AUTOMATIC SMART BATTERY CHARGER / POWER SUPPLY: Automotive

This is a fine company, excellent price and superior unit.
Bulk with the IQ module will be 14.8V, Absorbtion 14.2 and Float at 13.6 all ideal for the Trojans. There is also a 7 day brief autoEQ mode to "flex" sitting batteries to prevent sulfation.

Note that this model is sold without the IQ module as well...DO NOT buy or use one without the IQ~~ !!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

How would you install this? Would it replace the existing charge convertor?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You need to check out that inverter/charger and the batteries themselves. It is highly unusual for a charger to be working partially, e.g. working but at a low voltage. A more likely explanation is that one or both batteries is bad and the charger cannot get the voltage up where it belongs. A single dead cell in one battery would do that. "Dead" could mean shorted or high resistance - either one would have that symptom. A corroded connection on any of the main wires could also drag voltage down. So could lack of water in one of the cells.

Borrow any portable 12v charger and try that on the batteries (disconnect the other charger's leads) and see if it does any better. Any charger will do - some just take longer to reach full charger than others. If after 24-48 ours the pair of 6v's hasn't come up to 13.3-13.6v, it is the battery (s) that are the problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman53 View Post
I would...but if your converter is working then I'd just leave it in place (disconnected) as a potential backup.
More tech info here: IOTA DLS Series AC/DC Power Converters and Battery Chargers
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman53 View Post
I would replace the existing electrically but not physically if possible.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery