Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Please keep discussions to the OP's question regarding road usage tax & using the truck pumps vs rv island pumps. No personal sideswipes.

Lori-
Oh all right.

I have been hit with the premium at a Love's in Arizona. I was not really happy but since there was no easy way to get my rig near the automotive island I didn't have a choice. I did get a pleasant surprise at a Flying J in Idaho this year - paid with my credit card and the price I paid was a few cents cheaper than the posted price for cash LESS THE RV CARD DISCOUNT. I have been buying fuel in one form or another for almost 40 years and I don't ever remember being charged less than the posted price. I was having a chat with the fellow at the cash - a woman had just gone to the trouble of starting a pump on the truck island and she came back in to complain that there was no gas pump. He and I had just been looking at the coach and commenting that we were pretty sure it didn't take diesel. Maybe they have some discretion at the cash. Who knows.

(notice I got a bit in about gassers not having the option to fill at the truck island).
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm another who is 66' long with the toad, so using the regular islands is not an option. I realize that Flying J has the RV island, but as someone said, it usually only has the small nozzle, which would take a LONG time to fill up my 128 gallon tank.

I've never had a bad experience at the truck islands. I always speak to the trucker next to me, and when I am full I pull forward just like the truckers do.

I've never run into the extra charge thing, at least I didn't notice it if they charged it. I'll be sure to check on that every time I fill up from now on!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Different states and trucking companies collect and pay their hwy tax on fuel differently.

Basically, we all pay the fed highway tax on fuel.

Individuals who are low volume users typically pay at the pump.

Truckers and Trucking companies are required to pay their tax to the States they operate in and in proportion to their use of the highways (they usually have apportionment tags). So many/most have a DOT exemption number for fueling that avoids paying the tax at the pump.

Each quarter they pay their taxes based upon the miles driven in each State. This system theoretically provides that the State where the fueling occurs does not get all the money and the State where the road wear occurs gets some money to pay for the repairs.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #32

At 62' long if I want to fill up at the regular pumps I need 3 spaces (pumps) How long do you think I'll be there waiting for all 3 pumps to clear? Never happens. And even IF I could get in I would have to wait for the people parked in front of the store to move so I don't take out a pump on the way out and how long do you think that would take? The truck lanes are my only option.

I drove semi for years and believe me unless you are holding up the lanes truckers could care less if we fuel up there.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I drove semi for years and believe me unless you are holding up the lanes truckers could care less if we fuel up there.
My experience is that I'm waiting on truckers way more than they're waiting on me. Sometimes, I think they go in for a meal or a shower and leave their truck either in the lane or in front of one.

One time I got to an FJ, I forget where, and all the lanes were full. I pull in behind a truck and wait. And wait. And wait. The driver is poking around under the cowling doing something. And spending a lot of time on the phone. And occasionally playing with the pump. I go inside and talk to the manager. She calls out on the intercom and tells him to pump or move. Still waiting.

Turns out he had several credit cards declined at the pump, and he was on the phone trying to get one of them authorized so he could fuel up. Meanwhile he blocked the pump for almost an hour.

joe
Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #34

One other point that, I think, has not yet been made is that, at least for Pilot, Flying J, and TA, their websites all **expressly** say that RV's are welcome to use the truck lanes (not sure about Loves). I would think that the proprieters would / should have the ultimate say on who should use what pump....
Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
My experience is that I'm waiting on truckers way more than they're waiting on me. Sometimes, I think they go in for a meal or a shower and leave their truck either in the lane or in front of one.

One time I got to an FJ, I forget where, and all the lanes were full. I pull in behind a truck and wait. And wait. And wait. The driver is poking around under the cowling doing something. And spending a lot of time on the phone. And occasionally playing with the pump. I go inside and talk to the manager. She calls out on the intercom and tells him to pump or move. Still waiting.

Turns out he had several credit cards declined at the pump, and he was on the phone trying to get one of them authorized so he could fuel up. Meanwhile he blocked the pump for almost an hour.

joe
I have had similar experiences to yours, but finally got smart. When I pull into a truck stop I pull way out behind the islands so I don't block any trucks coming in, wait until I see a truck leaving a pump, then I make a mad dash for that vacant pump! That kinda goes back to my experiences at Wal-Mart, any line I get in automatically stops!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Indiana Fuel tax; The 7% tax ($4 fuel that's 28 cents/gl) is not paid by exempt commercial vehicles at Truck pumps. (DOT exemption) The big welcome sign at the stations show the Truck price but the RV lane and the car pumps have the 7% tax added.
Discussion here.
Indiana Sales Tax | ApexCapitalCorp.com

If you use the truck lane you need to go to the fuel desk and get the tax added to the price displayed at the pump. The state wants those pumps restricted to exempt (commercial) trucks only.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #37

I guess its a good thing that all long RV's with toads are diesels cause as its been stated time & time again... long RV's can't get into the car lanes.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
I guess its a good thing that all long RV's with toads are diesels cause as its been stated time & time again... long RV's can't get into the car lanes.
I haven't seen any 45' gassers around. Have you?

joe
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #39

Well I'm over 45' but was told that it doesn't count cause its not a toad, its a trailer. I would think that there are gassers that are over 45 with their toad though, isn't there?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When I had my my 31' coach I used the auto lanes as it seemed quicker and I fit.

I've never tried taking my 40' coach through the auto lanes as its just over 42' bumper to bumper.

Indiana is the only place I've experienced the DOT tax issue. So I fill up in Ohio and any place west of IN other than IL.

Never had any issues with truckers or counter staff at PFJ, Loves, T/A etc...

As already stated, many of these companies clearly state on the website RVs are welcome in the truck lanes. So my guess and it's only a guess - it's ok to use the truck lanes. Just difficult in states like IN that collect taxes separately.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand
While I think its rude how the truck drivers are being... isn't it kind of rude to have an RV in the truck lanes? I mean aren't the truck lanes for semi trucks and the RV lanes from RV's? Am I missing something? Cause to me it sounds like you guys are in the wrong spot... kinda like how those people with carts full go to the 20 or less check stands!
I'm sorry but bottom line, 40 and 43 foot long DP's almost never fit in so called RV fueling lanes. The spaces may work well for smaller rigs, but larger DP's need to use the truck lanes. Small nozzle pumps don't cut it either.
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #42

The only places I've been able to conveniently use the RV lane is Flying J. Other fuel stations are very difficult to maneuver my 40 footer into with the toad. The bigger problem I have using the truck lanes is if you ask for a fillup, they'll generally put a $400 hold on my CC account. Or, I have to go in and prepay and guess how much fuel it's going to take.

As far as truckers go, I've always found them to be friendly and if anything, inquisitive...wanting to know what kind of diesel engine I have, how many HP, etc. I have had issues waiting at the fuel desk while a trucker decides what features he wants on his new CB, etc.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote