RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think there is any meaningful difference in UV protection is modern tires, whether they are labeled "RV" or not. Besides, tire models such as the Michelin XZA and even the XRV are sold for truck applications as well as RVs. It's not an exclusively one vs the other. Some tire models are designed for high mileage or better traction, but in general any tire designated for highway use or regional delivery applications are highly suitable for a motorhome.

Choice of steer and drive tires vs general use is also not an RV vs truck thing. It is possible to optimize the tire tread design for steering or for traction, but most designs are a compromise that works quite well for both. A "steer tire" is simply one that is optimized for steerability and not recommended for use on the drive axle, where traction is more important. Likewise, a drive axle tire must not be placed on a steer axle because it has been optimized for traction and lacks the flexability needed for steerability.

The drawback to using steer or drive tires is that they cannot be moved to different axle, i.e. no steer tires on the drive axle and vice versa. IMO, motorhomes don't benefit enough from the tire tread optimization to make that limitation worthwhile, but your opinion may differ.
Gary - Thanks for posting exceptional clarity an observations to this use of tires on MH or any vehicle.
There should be a separate forum with "sticky" from expert manufacturers comments by engineers for us to reference. There are differences in tire construction and material that are important but these matters are held in secret engineering memo by certain manufactures.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #30

I am with ya .. like some say steer tires are not for drive as not engineered well all position or steer means any where not just front .. heck there was a post that stated he replaced his 14 ply tires with 16 ply on a what 43' DP.. well I sure am glad he didn't have blow out and blame the tires[or who put them on].. I would like to know what tires are just made for rv?? I dunno, but all the tires I looked at and priced said all position truck and "good for RV" well Michelin did make tires that only they made the size for, the 285/70 or 75's, but the 295 are almost unmeasurably different I think one revolution per mile.. and every time something gets misquoted or summpin. then fi have seen lots of "regional" truck tires[not for over road,but can be used] on rv's like the falken like in the other 15 page tire thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I have to say - there is so much B$ in this conversation that it is nauseating.

I start to enjoy the beginning but now somewhere in the middle it got just to thick.
a close relative and RV'er was an engineer for Michelin and he is having a good laugh reading all these expert statements.

does anyone know why some tires sing and other don't. (whine) and what manufacturer has the quietest tire?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #31

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone has used truck steer tires instead of RV Tires on their rig. I have a friend who did this after having a blowout and not being able to find the same RV Tires to match. Is there a big difference between these tires. Truck tires were also cheaper than the RV tires. Thanks for any feedback.
I quit using the few RV tire brands, long ago have used truck tires for quite a while now. Don't plan on going back either.
Except for flexible sidewalls, softer rubber, and less thread maybe, I don't see the advantage and if it's in the ride, I've never had any complaints in that dept., so.....
Our present coach had 5yr old GY 670's and blew one on it's maiden voyage. also the second GY, by the way, with the other being on our gas coach and raised by me from new. Both incidents, were in NY state, so again, who knows. Anyway, replaced them all with Hercules for quite a savings and they immediately felt better as well. Naturally all new tires seem to feel better.
Story short, there's only so many ways to manufacture a tire that meets DOT approval and I've decided to quit paying for a name only.
I think if you research blowouts, you'll find that there isn't any one particular brand that stands out, either way.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #32

I use: Michelin: 295/80 R 22.5 XZA2 Energy Expensive but I wasn't looking for cheap.

This was the stock tire for this coach. And I've been using PressurePro TPMS for 10 years and love them too.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #33

I replaced both Goodyear 670's on the front Jan '13 due to an alignment issue. Had 670's on rear as well, date coded 09. I purchased 2 new Goodyear 671 HSA for the front and had it aligned at the same time. Front tires are showing very little wear after 22k miles.

Tags
diesel, tires