Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootZero View Post
Well I wonder what part of the country you are in because this hasn’t been our experience at all
Not all Flying Js have RV lanes. But when they do, there are three grades of gasoline as well as diesel. Maybe the "RV lanes" you referred to earlier were the truck lanes where diesel is only available.

According to the spreadsheet my wife downloaded, they have them in a lot of states. We've found several by just looking at the spreadsheet to find them along our route for the day.

We've really not had that much trouble finding gas, but we've passed on a few. The Flying Js with RV lanes are always easily accessible, so if there's one along the route, it'll be our first choice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
As a general rule, I don't top off at either Flying "J", LOVES or look for stations with the cheapest gas. If I owned a DP that would be different.

Since TOP TIER gasoline is widely available and only an average of three cents more per gallon, I use only Top Tier gas stations unless I get into a real bind and have to fuel elsewhere. So I don't run into your situation at LOVES. But the stations I do pull into sometimes can be tight as well, I just try to research my entry & exit stategies as best as possible before I make my choice.

Buying gas from a station on this list is better for your car | Clark Howard

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

For those who are interested, I've attached a PDF that lists the 2017 Top Tier Gas Stations. I keep this list up front in the cab.

If you use Gas Buddy, you can set the filter so that only Top Tier stations appear.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootZero View Post
Ok thanks
We appreciate your info
We don’t really travel on 95 so that may be the problem
The one I circled in Knoxville is at 40 and 75, as I said there where 7 listed on that route.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #46

I know what your saying about Love"s and a lot of the pilots. I just finished a 2400 mile round trip to Nova Scotia and had problem with pumps in NY and Maine, no problems in Canada at all. It seems like a lot son the Stations are set up with pumps so you face the build and not a lot of room to pull in or out of. I have a 36 ft Tiffin with rear fill and when towing crv I am usually sticking out quite a bit.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying-J's have long had special RV lanes that served up both Gas and Diesel and on both sides of the lane.

Pilots.. do not (usually) have this. Nor Loves or TA or ______.

You can use the auto lanes .
Old 10-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
If you use Gas Buddy, you can set the filter so that only Top Tier stations appear.
I have seen other discussions Re: top tier gas.
I do believe the extra additives provide benefits but have also formed a practice and opinion that it is not necessary to use it 100% of the time to get the brnefits... my approach...
Don't sweat using other (less ecpensive?) brands part of the time. Use a top tier every 2nd or 3rd fill up and you still get the benefit.
I also always fill w non-ethanol prior to any extended storage.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have seen other discussions Re: top tier gas.
I do believe the extra additives provide benefits but have also formed a practice and opinion that it is not necessary to use it 100% of the time to get the brnefits... my approach...
Don't sweat using other (less ecpensive?) brands part of the time. Use a top tier every 2nd or 3rd fill up and you still get the benefit.
I also always fill w non-ethanol prior to any extended storage.

Where can you find non ethanol gas in the city?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Where can you find non ethanol gas in the city?
We are upstate... western NY and finding it isn't too hard. Not every station but several around have it on premium grade only.
That's all I will use in small engines.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #51

I have pulled into an empty station where the pumps are facing the building and pulled in diagonal between two rows of pumps. With the overhang behind my rear axle I can position the fill very near the rear pump as I turn. And it keeps me from having to turn so sharp getting out and possibly hitting a barrier with the car.

I just had a dejavu moment and think I may have already said this.

Anyway, whatever it takes.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #52

Costco or Fred Meyers if possible. Check to make sure they pump diesel. They pump alot of fuel and almost always are RV big rig friendly.
With a 90 gallon tank and easy 700 mile range with 15-20 gallons to spare, most trips of ours are 1-4 fill-ups only. Start out with a full tank and fill up on return at Freddys 4 miles from home. Generally I plan out my fuel stops even before I leave as we generally have a pretty well defined travel plan.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well now I'm armed with a lot of sage advice, thanks.

I'd like to add an observation from our most recent travels. It seems southwestern Georgia has no love for gasoline fueled RV's and RV's in general as a vast majority of the gas stations are configured with perpendicular gasoline pumps that are too tight for a 25+ foot vehicle to navigate. Add to that the fact that I don't think there's but one or two decent RV dealerships in that quarter of the state. Now, lately we've made two trips into southeastern Alabama, the Dothan area south of Fort Rucker. I'd have to say that a majority of the gas stations are configured parallel to the road/highway and many have an outside island without any obstruction to the street. Additionally it seems like you could stand at any RV dealership and the next dealership is just a stones throw away.

To top it off, the La Parrilla Mexican restaurant in north Dothan has the best Mexican food we've had in years (I really recommend Chiles Poblanos Rellenos with the seasoned brisket). We both grew up in southern California and have lived years in Arizona so we've experienced good Mexican food and have been really disappointed with the offerings in our current home area.

Safe travels all . . .
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas