Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #29

I have followed your endeavor in this potential purchase and in my opinion and if you accept my 2 cents ...... I have not liked any of the responses you have received from this seller,"none" and more than likely would walk away from this deal. In todays market their are tons of RV's waiting for you and I would almost assure you that your confort level as well as trust level would greatly improve. If closer I would gladly assist a first time buyer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #30

I have read through the whole thread and I did not see anywhere that you mention the age of this unit. Is this a fairly new one, middle age or approaching vintage? It is unfortunate but sales people especially will take advantage of women, especially if they pick up on the fact that you do not know what is going on. I agree that the best way to go is to take someone with you but in today's technology you could have someone with you on an I-pad while you did the walk through. Not quite there but close enough to see and hear what is going on and if there is a question you can always give them a better view. I am new to class A's myself so I cannot be any help there but I have done that for people with old military vehicle purchases. Good luck in your endeavors and I can tell you that I am a die hard dog person but THAT is a LOT of feet to take camping!!!!!

Rick
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunning View Post
Ok I'm going to throw a horror story out here. I recently bought a slightly used 2013 Entegra and when talking to the dealership the salesman told me all service had been done vby previous owner. (the coach was there on consignment). Well when we were doing the inspection it was obvious the service hadn't been done.
Long story short I posted on here about how much I loved the coach but was disappointed about the service. The previous owner contacted and assured me it had been done and he'd paid major money and driven an extra distance to a reputable dealer. (he's a great guy BTW). Well when I told him the oil filter and the fuel filter had so much engine paint on them we had to call Cummings to get the right numbers. He was pretty upset. He also called and told me he had taken his new coach for some alignment work (before we talked) and it wasn't right took it some place else and again they hadn't done a thing.
So your right to try and figure out how to check what they did.
2013? how many miles on it? Oil is good for 20K according to cummins and its not hardly a year old? Fuel filters are good for 20-25K ? nothing else to service yet? how many miles on this 2013 that u were so concerned about service??
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #32

let this be a lesson learned. you have a 3rd party do a once over and make a repair list BEFORE you sign on the dotted line NOT afterwards.
If You don,t then you take your chances
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I have followed your endeavor in this potential purchase and in my opinion and if you accept my 2 cents ...... I have not liked any of the responses you have received from this seller,"none" and more than likely would walk away from this deal. In todays market their are tons of RV's waiting for you and I would almost assure you that your confort level as well as trust level would greatly improve. If closer I would gladly assist a first time buyer.
I understand completely. I quite honestly do not trust this dealer farther than I can spit on them. I've been very tempted to walk away believe you, me. But there is the little detail of the $1k deposit I made. So the more they make me worried and the more I learn, the more anal I get with the dealer. They will not forget me anytime soon I promise you that one.

I've looked for years (literally) and I'm not opposed to walking away, I feel I must do my due diligence on the rig I've gotten the closest to buying. Not her fault she ended up at a stupid dealership

The dealer that is doing the 3rd party PDI is one that I like alot. I will definitely buy from them in the future if this does not work out or for upgrading. But they normally carry realllllllly high priced rigs like Prevosts! Waaaaaay outta my price range.

So I'm proceeding carefully. I'm no dummy, I work in Biotech and make 6 figures as an added bonus I'm originally from NY so have that edge. Hahaha.... I so appreciate the info I'm getting from this forum from everyone - its really really helping me ensure that I proceed in the right way!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I have read through the whole thread and I did not see anywhere that you mention the age of this unit. Is this a fairly new one, middle age or approaching vintage? It is unfortunate but sales people especially will take advantage of women, especially if they pick up on the fact that you do not know what is going on. I agree that the best way to go is to take someone with you but in today's technology you could have someone with you on an I-pad while you did the walk through. Not quite there but close enough to see and hear what is going on and if there is a question you can always give them a better view. I am new to class A's myself so I cannot be any help there but I have done that for people with old military vehicle purchases. Good luck in your endeavors and I can tell you that I am a die hard dog person but THAT is a LOT of feet to take camping!!!!!

Rick
Hi Ya Rick! Thanks for reading the WHOLE thread! I may have left that out... here is the info:
Triple E Empress - 2001
59k miles
246 hrs on Generator
Freightliner chassis
CAT engine
38ft

2000 Triple E EMPRESS A3802FW for sale | Longmont, CO
Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you mentioned due diligence have you seen what other units like this are selling for ? Is this a really OMG price.

Now as to your 1000.00 deposit. There is a degree of merchantability involved. Absolutely anything that Is a safety hazard is a deal breaker. If the salesman told you they would fix anything wrong with the coach and they refuse to fix anything it is a deal breaker. By deal breaker I mean it would give you the opportunity to say I have changed my mind and want my deposit back. When I bought my coach I traded in a 5th wheel that had a dent in it. I had intended to fix the dent before I traded it. My coach had a broken window. We made the deal that I would not fix the 5th wheel they would not fix the window. The salesman told me that the window was 1000.00 to fix and that was what the estimates I had on the dent was. I made the deposit. I think it was 5000. We were going to take the 5th wheel the following weekend and sign the final papers. While I was waiting for the weekend I called the glass shop to get started on getting the window. They informed it was 3000.00 to repair. I checked some where else and they were 3500.00 I immediately called the dealer and informed him either they fixed the window and I paid 1000.00 for it or the deal was off. I have the coach now and I paid 1000.00 for the window repair. It does not take much for an over anxious salesman to say enough to void a deal.

Next there is the if they do not fix several thousand dollars worth of items and leave them for you to fix it might be better to forget the thousand dollars and look for a coach in better shape. IF you have to go this way consider it a course on how to negotiate repairs prior to making a deposit.

The final option is that it sounds like you are getting a lot of repair work done. Depending on the price you might be getting a good deal and with all the repair work a really good deal. Do not be afraid to negotiate on things that need to be fixed. If you have not paid for it yet they cannot force you to do that.

If you are getting it from a dealer see if it is eligible for an extended warranty. If I read your post right they are going to warranty any repairs for 90 days. You could have something that they checked and works fine now and in 30 days break. Also something like air conditioning. something tells me that the air conditioner might work fine in Colorado now but when it hits 100 degrees outside it might not work as good so it is hard to really check that right now.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #36

Trish, After seeing your little bio and the fact that you are selling a same brand RV I think you may not be giving yourself enough credit. You obviously have a level head on your shoulders to have gotten where you are in life plus you already have a same brand of RV to compare to. Lean on some of the members of the Triple E club for usual problem areas to look for and concentrate on those areas. Little things like a fan that does not work are negligible in my opinion as long as the big stuff gets fixed and the people that have owned these particular brands will know better then anyone else what the outstanding problems are. And if you are from NYC............ Then you have the confidence AND the attitude! You will do fine.

Rick
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get an independent 3rd party to inspect the repairs. Explain to the company that you are having this done at your expense....ONCE! If the repairs are not done then they will have to pay for additional inspections. or you'll have no alternative but to seek Legal Assistance starting with your city / County or State Attorney office. sometimes they are not out to cheat you, they just don't supervise their employees.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just for what it's worth - the company is BBB accredited and has an A+ rating:

Century RV, Inc. Business Review in Longmont, CO - Serving Denver/Boulder BBB

Hope all goes well!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Just for what it's worth - the company is BBB accredited and has an A+ rating: Century RV, Inc. Business Review in Longmont, CO - Serving Denver/Boulder BBB Hope all goes well!
. I checked there too thanks for looking . I'm working hard to do the right thing and going by the book on all the great recommendations! Due to super cold temps the chassis inspection is tomorrow instead. More as I know it.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It must be hard to go through life with some of the trust issues I see reported here. You all are forgetting the major point here. THE DEALER IS GIVING A 90 DAY WARRANTY ON THE REPAIRS! What is the problem? From what I have read here, the OP gave them a list of things to be fixed that a third party came up with, the dealer agreed to fix them, they are apparently in the process of performing said repairs and to top it off are giving a 90 day warranty on their work. Ive run dealerships for 3 decades. Believe it or not they are not out to break promises and ruin their reputations. Due diligence on the part of the consumer is a must but everyone jumps on the bandwagon assuming a dealer they have no experience with is out to rip off a customer. I haven't read a thing in this thread that sounded shady from the dealer. The OP just wanted to make sure the repairs she requested were done and done properly. Suddenly the dealer is putting the coach together with bubble gum and bailing wire and we need a forensic inspection with heat seeking chemical analysis of the hijack ijiculators. REALLY? This is not that complicated. Reservoir is cracked? Is it new and replaced? Yes? done deal. Steps working………check. Same with the rest of the repairs. The OP sounds like an intelligent individual and the dealer seems to check out as well. Its a two way street folks and I love nothing better than repeat customers that I can have a fun, mutually beneficial relationship with for years to come. A 90 day warranty is more than most. Enjoy your new coach if it all works out!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After re reading the entire post Im unclear as to whether or not they are giving you a 90 day warranty on repairs? You did say something about an extended warranty contract. Does the coach come with that or do you have to purchase it? Some dealers put one on every used coach. They are usually no more than one year and then they try to sell you additional years or upgrades. Read the warranty very carefully to make sure it covers all major systems. there are usually three levels of coverage. For example bronze, silver and gold. The bronze will cover power train and not much more while the gold is usually very comprehensive and would be closest to a new coach warranty with the silver falling somewhere in between. If you have to purchase the warranty, shop around before hand and due some research into the warranty company the dealer uses. You will find a very wide range of prices. If you can find an affordable warranty on this 13 year old coach it might not be a bad idea. You said you checked the BBB for this dealer, another good sight to check is yelp or dealerrater.com
Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
After re reading the entire post Im unclear as to whether or not they are giving you a 90 day warranty on repairs? You did say something about an extended warranty contract. Does the coach come with that or do you have to purchase it? Some dealers put one on every used coach. They are usually no more than one year and then they try to sell you additional years or upgrades. Read the warranty very carefully to make sure it covers all major systems. there are usually three levels of coverage. For example bronze, silver and gold. The bronze will cover power train and not much more while the gold is usually very comprehensive and would be closest to a new coach warranty with the silver falling somewhere in between. If you have to purchase the warranty, shop around before hand and due some research into the warranty company the dealer uses. You will find a very wide range of prices. If you can find an affordable warranty on this 13 year old coach it might not be a bad idea. You said you checked the BBB for this dealer, another good sight to check is yelp or dealerrater.com
Hi Mojo

Thanks for your insightful information. To answer your questions on warrantee....
Part of my initial deal with them was that the rig come with a 4 year coach and chassis warrantee. They are providing a Silver level warrantee that covers everything but the generator (also, unless it is a wear n tear item of course, you know how that goes). As the PDI has been progressing (it's taken about a week due to weather and service center schedule) I requested the dealer provide me w a 90 warrantee on any of the services that THEY perform. They agreed.

We've negotIated the repairs they will make on the coach. Just awaiting the results of the chassis - I have some preliminary info on that but will have the full info tomorrow.