Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Trust your TPMS

I-75 northbound out of Cincinnati, got the alert high temp in the RR tag. About the same time could smell that hot brake smell.

Used IEXIT app for the next rest stop, showed coming up in five miles.

Temp continued to rise to 172 by the time we stopped at the rest stop.

Blocked the front tires and used the RR hydraulic jack to lift the RR just off the surface, sure enough brake dragging on the tag wheel. Drive wheels spun freely

Short story, pulled out the self adjuster gear pin and tightened the brake shoes to the drum, then backed off half a turn, released the pin. Tire spun freely and could see a very small gap in shoe to drum. Took about half hour to see what was wrong and fix it.

I'm not super mechanical but figured it out and was an easy fix. Tight fit between the tag and drive tires! Not sure why that brake was dragging, had been driving for 4 hours. Did use the brakes hard just before that in heavy traffic must have been the reason. Chassis had been in for complete lube few weeks ago

Finished the trip home without issues, temp came down into the normal 80's after about 1/2 hour of driving.

Tools, flat screwdriver to pry out the pin, and a 3/8" open end wrench to turn the adjusting bolt. TIP, I held the spring loaded pin out with an opened ended 5/16" wrench slid in between the pin head and housing. Next is to check both sides for air brake rod travel to check even distance. FL calls for a 2 1/2" stroke tolerance 1/2" - 5/8"

Hope this helps someone sometime!

Picture example of self adjuster spring pin in front adjuster bolt on bottom
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Job!!!
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nice work. thanks for the pic. i don't want to think about the damage one of those tires could do if they blow. what TPMS are you using?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Just a little novice input, if it happens again, i would make sure S Cam is not hanging up inside the drum After hard stop? ! Just my thoughts...Good job getting out of a pinch.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very similar problem last summer with the toad. Left front running about 20 degrees warmer than the three other tires but not high enough to trip the alarm. Didn't think anything about and continued on to the CG. Next day took the car out to go sight seeing and more or less wasn't drivable. Caliber was dragging but not locking the wheel up. Had the toad towed to local shop and fixed by the noon the next day.

Moral of the story, don't disregard the outlier.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

My TPMS is a Wasp Vista 22, looks and sets up just like the EEZ brand. Found it brand new on Craig's for half the cost of new. I'm short two sensors on the toad, so just have the fronts of the Jeep covered
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
I-75 northbound out of Cincinnati, got the alert high temp in the RR tag. About the same time could smell that hot brake smell.

Used IEXIT app for the next rest stop, showed coming up in five miles.

Temp continued to rise to 172 by the time we stopped at the rest stop.

Blocked the front tires and used the RR hydraulic jack to lift the RR just off the surface, sure enough brake dragging on the tag wheel. Drive wheels spun freely

Short story, pulled out the self adjuster gear pin and tightened the brake shoes to the drum, then backed off half a turn, released the pin. Tire spun freely and could see a very small gap in shoe to drum. Took about half hour to see what was wrong and fix it.

I'm not super mechanical but figured it out and was an easy fix. Tight fit between the tag and drive tires! Not sure why that brake was dragging, had been driving for 4 hours. Did use the brakes hard just before that in heavy traffic must have been the reason. Chassis had been in for complete lube few weeks ago

Finished the trip home without issues, temp came down into the normal 80's after about 1/2 hour of driving.

Tools, flat screwdriver to pry out the pin, and a 3/8" open end wrench to turn the adjusting bolt. TIP, I held the spring loaded pin out with an opened ended 5/16" wrench slid in between the pin head and housing. Next is to check both sides for air brake rod travel to check even distance. FL calls for a 2 1/2" stroke tolerance 1/2" - 5/8"

Hope this helps someone sometime!

Picture example of self adjuster spring pin in front adjuster bolt on bottom
Wise man....i trust mine too!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, tpms