Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #57

MRUSA14's comment regarding steak and ham fits right in with Entergra owners we encountered this past July while staying at Elkhorn Ridge campground in Spearfish, SD. Sit in their rigs all day blasting the AC with never a wave or good morning.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #58

Well, I have had both and would not ever consider going back to gas. Yes, the diesel is more expensive. No question there. However, the diesel's towing power and economy (compared to gas towing the same weight) is worth it. There is also another factor. The power of the diesel and the command over the towed vehicle, IMO, provides a significant margin of safety that is really not measurable but is there for you. Just my opinion.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #59

We had one of each.

1986-2003, our rig was a 1974 Chevy cabover semi-tractor with a 366ci gas and Allison. We towed a thirty-foot semi-trailer we converted to a full-time live-aboard. In all the time we had the combo, nobody recalls either needing any repairs other than belts fluids filters. Heck, we sold them with the original-to-us tires.

MPG? Probably in the neighborhood of 8 or so. We drove the daylights out of it, having too much Baja fun to get caught-up in the details.

2003-current, our rig is a 1997 Ford cabover with a Cummins 8.3 and Allison we converted to a housetruck. Our rig is constantly evolving; we added a 140-gallon saddle-tank, then increased our battery-bank by an additional 440-pounds. Again, just belts fluids filters.

This rig rarely gets better than 14MPG.

October 2018, we thought we lost the water-pump seal on the 8.3. Nope. It was a loose clamp on the coolant-return hose.

Here is our truth:
The next time I get some time 'manana', I could check those figures and get back to you.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
More expensive?

Yes if you need an engine change. Not so much for fuel and maint.

Example: Yes its more costly per oil change...or is it?
Lets see 15,000Mi on a $500 oil and filter change vs 5,000Mi on a gasser for $150. That's $450 in my books and makes it almost a wash. Certainly not to be too worried about. And Diesel is cheaper once again than gas so that factors in.

You can't beat the HP and torque of a good diesel, not to mention less volatility of the fuel in accidents etc.

Don't have one, want one, gonna have to wait, it's on my bucket list ;-)

Ron
Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #61

I have an older Silverado HD pickup(05), does not require def. Change oil every 5000 miles. I buy an AC filter from the parts house $9.00, 2.5 gallon jug of Rotella from Walmart for $30. My shop guy will change for $16.00. Fuel filter around $20.00. Put on a cold air intake, initial cost was not cheap, but filter will last several hundred thousand miles. I know it’s not the same as a MH. But size is relative.
dzchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #62

Can a diesel last for a million miles?
Certainly.
Can a large block gas engine last for a quarter million miles?
Certainly.

Now, what are the most miles you've ever seen on a motor home?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Costs are all relative

This year, we'll spend $7,300 on RV parks and $3,200 on fuel for our May-November adventures before we get back to Phoenix for the winter. Am I worried than my annual maintenance takes 9 gallons of oil @$12 and 2 oil filters/2 fuel filters instead of a few quarts and a cheapie from Walmart, plus an extra $100/year for the stuff that's done every few years (air filter, air dryer, Allison)? At 3-5% of operating costs, it's simple: no.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #64

"In reality, you can probably drive to some quick lube locations and get the oil, air filter and fuel filter changed on a Ford gasser for $150-$200, including the labor."

On the contrary, I had the oil and filter changed for $29.95 at my mechanics shop.

Ours is a V-10 in a Thor Hurricane 32N. We RV 1 or 2 weeks a month, April thru Sept. in Oregon. So the gas rig is fine.

RVing full time may be a different story. Gas or diesel will get you where you want to go.
Ragmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragmanx View Post
"In reality, you can probably drive to some quick lube locations and get the oil, air filter and fuel filter changed on a Ford gasser for $150-$200, including the labor."

On the contrary, I had the oil and filter changed for $29.95 at my mechanics shop.

Ours is a V-10 in a Thor Hurricane 32N. We RV 1 or 2 weeks a month, April thru Sept. in Oregon. So the gas rig is fine.

RVing full time may be a different story. Gas or diesel will get you where you want to go.

We fulltime in a gas rig . 96 Bounder
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #66

You can’t compare an Apple to a Avocado!

Way too many differences, yes everything about a diesel is way more expensive than a gas engine but then a gas engine is Not Designed to do what a diesel does. A Diesel engine is Commercial and a Gas engine is Residential. A diesel is designed to be 500 to a million miles and never be turned off, a gas engine is not even close.
Totally depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
What do you want? Gas economy? Pulling power?
Reliability? Cost/mileage?
Why are long haul trucks equipped with Diesel engines? Why are farm tractors equipped with Diesel engines? Why are cars equipped with gas engines?
Why are Super Cars equipped with Electric motors?
Every engine/motor has a specific value for its use.

Short version:
I Have had Both, depends on You, what are you trying to accomplish and do you live paycheck to paycheck or you do you have money management skills.

Each has its rewards and usefulness you cannot compare them side to side.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #67

Damned tablet. Sorry, I didn't mean to reply.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobstlmo View Post
You can’t compare an Apple to a Avocado!

Way too many differences, yes everything about a diesel is way more expensive than a gas engine but then a gas engine is Not Designed to do what a diesel does. A Diesel engine is Commercial and a Gas engine is Residential. A diesel is designed to be 500 to a million miles and never be turned off, a gas engine is not even close.
Totally depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
What do you want? Gas economy? Pulling power?
Reliability? Cost/mileage?
Why are long haul trucks equipped with Diesel engines? Why are farm tractors equipped with Diesel engines? Why are cars equipped with gas engines?
Why are Super Cars equipped with Electric motors?
Every engine/motor has a specific value for its use.

Short version:
I Have had Both, depends on You, what are you trying to accomplish and do you live paycheck to paycheck or you do you have money management skills.

Each has its rewards and usefulness you cannot compare them side to side.

It's not about the size of your pay check, it should be more about what you need. If a gas MH does the job then go for it.

Some wealthy people drive Chevy's and some not so wealthy people go bankrupt driving Cadillac's to impress others.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #69

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Marti View Post
Damned tablet. Sorry, I didn't mean to reply.
You know you can delete your post subject to the same time restriction as editing don't you?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Gas vs Diesel

Had to put my uninformed 2 bits in. We have owned 2 gas class As. Currently we are in a 2004 Neumar Kountry Star (34'). Enjoyed the two gassers a bunch, had them all over the country. Got our Kountry Star about 11 years ago. Have enjoyed the heck out of it. The the air ride on the Kountry Star is fantastic. We have the Cummins 5.9 with the Cummins up power, Gale Banks tunner and Snow preformance injection to help cool TIT temps. Preformace is great, Ride couldn't be better for a large vehicle. We like to explore so that's why we have a short DP and tow a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ( last year they where truely off road capable / last year for the solid axles). Up keep is high even though I do most of my own Maintenance.Oil Chance $230. Trans fluid and filters $180, Had a bad injector and two weak. Decided to change all six and upgrade to 25% over. Job required a new high pressure pump. Had to have this done by a deisel Mechanic $3200 ouch. Hopefully don't have to do that for another 100,000. Like our DP cost is something you will have to decide on your own. We average 4000 to 5000 a year.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, maintenance