RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=CountryFit;4009632]

Countryfit,
If I may add another suggestion to the many already offered, after reviewing your diagram of the air dam I would suggest making the air dam straight,without the curvature in it. The curvature will cause a blunt wind bind at the bottom, near the roof, if the piece is made 62" wide but straight, the air will be forced mostly in the upward direction. Ideally, the longer the slope the better and sealing the bottom to the roof with dicor would be the cats meow in my opinion, then fasten to the top of front solar panel. Finding a flat,wide piece of aluminum should be easier.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Thanks Rick! Yes, straight is better for sure. I'm working on it .
Thanks to Quincy too!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
awesome! all of these practice is necessary for a long term well being. i have used a sheet metal fabricator, primarily on a/c piping, i'll talk to him about it. thanks.
You can purchase rubber fender extension that is shaped almost identically to you drawing. You can purchase it by the foot, not real expensive, is black so its UV resistant and is easy to work with. You can cut it with a sharp knife. You can glue it to your roof with Dicor products, (tape or seam seal).....or screw it down.
Sources? Should be able
to find it on amazon, quadratic.com or other auto supply sites. I think NAPA stores can get it to you within 8-12 hours. The material will last for years with full sun exposure. Good luck on your project! (I'll look for a link in case you are interested.)
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #32

I just googled "rubber fender extension" and it brought up several sources, with pictures so you can visualize what I'm talking about.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #33

(You want to search for "rubber fender extension, side mount.) The side mount extension has a flat side to secure to roof. (Sorry for 3 in a row posts, but trying to be helpful). I'm done.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #34

I would strongly consider the options like the one Quincy has suggested.

As an aviator we know a little bit about aerodynamics, and a small and simple deflector to spoil the airflow over and under the panel is all you need.

It doesn't need to be any higher than the panel from the mounted roof position, but mounted just in front of it, and partially block the air that flows under it.

Airflow over the panel will experience an eddie flow and will lose all lift as in a stalled airplane wing.

No lift, no stress on the mounting, less drag contributing to effect your fuel mileage, less noise from a large panel sticking into the air flow.

just my 2cts

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #35
Community Moderator

lots of good info above . i'll blend all of those opinions into my making. will update back when i am done...

best to you all!!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #36
Community Moderator

This is done!

thank you all for the information and encourages that made this possible! a quick report with some photos, hopefully this provides some hints to the fellow rvers in case anyone attempts to do it as well...

(1) got a 3 inches x 2 inches x 10 ft roof-to-wall galvanized flushing sheet metal, for $6.57 at home depot.

(2) calculate the length. in addition to the length of panel (dam length), add 3 inches to each end to tuck backward. my total length was 61.5 + 3 + 3 = 67.5 inches.

(3) the leftover section was to be glued to the dam so to make it more rigid.

(4) considered the panel brackets and cut out that areas on the sheet metals.

(5) glued the two pieces together with "fuze it" ($6.97 at hd). let sit overnight

(6) attached the dam to panel frame. i planted a 5/16" galvanized screw to the middle of the front panel frame, and cut a slide channel on the dam back side. when installed, a support at the middle was in place in addition to that at two ends.

(7) affixed two ends to the panel siding with 3/16" rivets (toward left is the front)

(8) i wrapped the the front dam center edge with a wiper blade protector and dicored the edge where it touches roofing. notice the curved roof, only the middle section of the dam touches roof.

now it is completed. hopefully it will provide a better aerodynamics.

Happy trails!!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
CountryB-

It looks unpainted... what will you do when it starts to rust?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #38

Super job Country Fit, no aerodynamic problems that I can see. Good Luck
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
CountryB-

It looks unpainted... what will you do when it starts to rust?
You were talking with my brother (CountryB)... and my eyes keep reading your id as "lovefreeord1" .

it's galvanized metal, i assumed no worry for rust. also it's known that galvanized metal does not work with oil or non oil based paint well. it i painted it now, there would be a probability of paint peeling in a few years. that would be very ugly.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Super job Country Fit, no aerodynamic problems that I can see. Good Luck
thanks! hopefully it works .

Tags
air