Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trying to choose our first coach.

I hope this post posts . I've had two others that I took awhile to write but screwed up somehow when trying to post. 1) we found a 2007 Itasca Sunriser with a floor plan we love. Our preference is diesel, but our budget makes that hard. Our budget depends on how long we can get financing for: if 20 years, then 100k. If 15 then maybe 85k. If only 12 then 65-70k.

This Itasca has 2000 miles on a Jasper rebuilt vortec engine installed in 2014 along with a Banks exhaust system. The rig has a file folder full of service records I only just scanned, but the engine was replaced because the p.o. overheated it on a hill. Its got the Allison transmission. New tires in 2014. Inside and out it's very nice and total miles I don't know. My wife really liked the floor plan. It has a brand new Splendid washer dryer. It has a 4 door refridge and a fireplace. Double pane Windows. They want 75000. The bed is an adjustable air bed so we couldn't lay on it. He didn't turn it on and we couldn't drive it yet.

Were concerned about a couple things. One is the motor Home came from Idaho. The salesman said he met the guy on the phone and had to talk him into letting him sell it in Oregon. That just sounds a little weird. Don't they have RV dealers in Idaho. And why not Portland, its a bigger market. The other concern is the motor. Was this a case of not enough power, over heated it trying to get it to do what a diesel will and then replacing the motor and adding a Banks exhaust and finding it still doesn't have the power. Something about spending 10000 on a new motor.on a nice coach and only putting 2000 miles on it in two years and then selling it doesn't sound right. Finally, 75k sounds high.
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Don't get bogged down on the first one you see. Lots of low mileage ones out there that are taken care of. Going through a dealer means your paying for a commission and sales tax on a used coach. Aftermarket stuff means the owner wanted to go faster than the coach wants to. If your handy, a nice older one without a loan is the way to go.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

I don't know what model or size you're looking at but you might want to do some 'Googling' and find some comparable ones....to compare price, etc. Here's one:

New Or Used Itasca Sunrise RVs for Sale - RVTrader.com
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

As was previously stated price does not guarantee quality. I suggest finding a top of the line, older low mileage gas unit for cash.We paid cash for our 2000 Tropical and have been pleased with the quality and performance. I would not buy a diesel at any price due to issues caused by poor quality fuel. I have known several people that have had to replace injection pumps and injectors due to poor fuel quality. Lack of maintnance was not an issue in these cases.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
I would not buy a diesel at any price due to issues caused by poor quality fuel. I have known several people that have had to replace injection pumps and injectors due to poor fuel quality. Lack of maintnance was not an issue in these cases.
A big plus for diesels is that you can fuel up a truck stops - no poor quality. In 8 years of full-timing and many diesel-owning friends this has never been an issue.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We ended up finding a Monaco Knight. 2005, 22000 miles. New tires, new batteries. Really well cared for. 4 slides, roomy inside. Double fridge and they put a washer dryer in for us.
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Going through a dealer means your paying for a commission and sales tax on a used coach..
Georgia "fixed" that problem. You now pay sales tax when you register it based on what ever price THEY decide the Fair Market Value is... regardless of what sales price is listed on the title. And they make the make it so you have to pay it first, and then appeal, and make the appeals process very difficult. They screwed me good on my private sale 16 yr old rig.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote