Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Trying to get a new TV to fit

I have a 2010 Newmar Bay Star.I want to replace the tv ,the problem is the current size on the 32 inch is 31.5x21.All the newer tvs are smaller diameters on a 32 inch tv .Not sure if anyone has replaced there tv and what you might have done thank you
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Mount a 40” on the face of the cabinet, not in it.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I was thinking of doing just that
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

I thought about a 40” mounted that way. We stuck with a newer 32” and mounted black felt behind it. I think it came out nice and I am not covering any of the existing cabinets...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2979.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	242039
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
I have a 2010 Newmar Bay Star.I want to replace the tv ,the problem is the current size on the 32 inch is 31.5x21.All the newer tvs are smaller diameters on a 32 inch tv .Not sure if anyone has replaced there tv and what you might have done thank you
jarata,
Without seeing your original TV, and its fit in your cabinets, it's hard to give you an accurate answer. I myself am not a fan of slapping a TV ONTO the outside of the cabinet framing. I prefer a bit more of a factory type fit, if possible. And, depending on all circumstances, size of the new TV and all that, sometimes you're gonna have to think "outside the box" and make adjustments.

Woodworking and metalworking are both sometimes needed for a more professional set of results. Again, much of it depends on your cabinetry and how much it will tolerate alteration, to allow a quality fit of your new TV. I just went through all of this about a year ago or so. Yeah, it was a bunch of work but, it was a challenge as well as it was fun, to make it all come out right. Again, I wanted it to look like Itasca did it in the first place. And, not only that but, neither the CEO or I have a need to have a movie theater sized TV hanging on the front of our cabinets.

It all depends on what kind of results you'd like. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. The pics below don't even come close to the work that was done but, it give you an idea of the "before" and "after". Oh, an there's a speaker cover I made for the speaker above the top of the new TV but, it's not in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	242045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	242046  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	242047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	242048  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #6

I replaced the 32' flat screen in our 2013 Baystar Sport with a 40' flat screen. I used an articulating mount that allows the TV to swing over to the right side (or left and angle downward...much better view from the couch when swung over to the right. It does block the cabinets when swung over but it's simple to swing it back to center when we need access.
The 40" is a significant improvement over the 32", much easier to watch from the dinette...great upgrade.

Measure carefully, not all 40" TV's are the same width. I found one that just fit between the front cabinets, however the mount also moves it out a couple of inches and gives a bit more space for the TV.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #7

I’m changing out a led to a newer led same size hopefully no big deal.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jarata"......I agree with "Ivylog"....just place it over the opening if you can. I did this on my 2005 Diplomat. It sticks out an extra 2". I mounted mine with a rigid mount, but later saw some that attached a piece of plywood to the opening with a piano hinge. They attached the TV to the plywood and added a latch. Now you can swing the TV open and store items behind it and easily access wiring.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
DJJ

Jarata,
One more thing to pay attention to is sound. The new tv's speakers are in the back or at the bottom and setting the tv in the box, if it covers the speakers, would have an adverse effect. A sound bar or if you have a sound system in the RV you will connect to then it would not be a concern.
Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Jarata,
One more thing to pay attention to is sound. The new tv's speakers are in the back or at the bottom and setting the tv in the box, if it covers the speakers, would have an adverse effect. A sound bar or if you have a sound system in the RV you will connect to then it would not be a concern.
Jeff
When I upgraded to a LED Smart TV it did not have RCA plugs for audio, only optical. $15 for a converter from optical to RCA into my sound system solved the problem.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
When I upgraded to a LED Smart TV it did not have RCA plugs for audio, only optical. $15 for a converter from optical to RCA into my sound system solved the problem.
Where did you get the adapter?

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #12

Or upgrade to a Soundbar and get better sound that the ancient surround sound system that’s installed. A $200 Sony Soundbar provides better sound that the old 5 speaker system that was in our coach.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetskier50 View Post
Where did you get the adapter?
Amazon
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Amazon