Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippslarry View Post
Fogging only happens with dual pane windows. The Tiffin is single pane. Not sure about the Canyon Star - Check it out. We preferred the Tiffin to the Newmar due to the basement doors and large storage, and better cabinets. Plus we liked the layouts better on Tiffin. Tiffin service after sale is unrivaled. Newmar has better insulation and roof construction, and good Customer service, just supposedly not quite as good as Tiffin. At the end of the day you just have to go with which one you like the best. Newmar has recently been purchased by Winnebago, but they are supposed to be allowing Newmar to run independently.
Thanks.

My wife really prefers the Tiffin so far based on the coaches we've seen. The Georgetown was second, but we haven't been able to see the new GT7 36D7. We've ruled out the Fleetwood and the Entegra, but may want to look at the Newmar Bay Star 3609. Finding a Newmar with the drop down bunk is still problematic.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #58

If you’re interested in talking about the Newmar 3609 PM me for my phone number.

We really like ours.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #59

We're getting really close to pulling the trigger and have more questions.

We like a 2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3710. It has a residential refrigerator. I have the original option sheet and the Newmar brochure. It looks like this fridge is only 10 cubic feet and came with 2 extra batteries and a 1000 watt inverter. The fridge size seems really tiny.

In comparison, a Tiffin Allegro 36LA we're also considering has the residential fridge with 4 batteries and a 2000 watt pure sine inverter. What I haven't been able to find is the size of the fridge. It's not in the Tiffin brochure and getting the dealers to send this info is like pulling teeth. Anyone out there know the size?

The Tiffin is on a 24K chassis and the Newmar is 26K, both have a GCWR of 30K. The 2 slides on the Tiffin are on the drivers side, on the Newmar there is a slide on each side. Tiffin puts the stacked washer/dryer in the back bathroom, while Newmar puts it across from the half bath. That seems to make the Tiffin bathroom feel slightly cramped, while in the Newmar it makes the living room area smaller. Tiffin has a 15M heat pump/AC in the front and 13.5 AC in the rear, Newmar has 2 13.5 ACs.

There seem to be pluses and minuses to both. We're trying to figure out the fridge issue and whether the Newmar's 10 cu/ft is large enough.

Any help?
Old 09-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We're getting really close to pulling the trigger and have more questions.

We like a 2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3710. It has a residential refrigerator. I have the original option sheet and the Newmar brochure. It looks like this fridge is only 10 cubic feet and came with 2 extra batteries and a 1000 watt inverter. The fridge size seems really tiny.

In comparison, a Tiffin Allegro 36LA we're also considering has the residential fridge with 4 batteries and a 2000 watt pure sine inverter. What I haven't been able to find is the size of the fridge. It's not in the Tiffin brochure and getting the dealers to send this info is like pulling teeth. Anyone out there know the size?

The Tiffin is on a 24K chassis and the Newmar is 26K, both have a GCWR of 30K. The 2 slides on the Tiffin are on the drivers side, on the Newmar there is a slide on each side. Tiffin puts the stacked washer/dryer in the back bathroom, while Newmar puts it across from the half bath. That seems to make the Tiffin bathroom feel slightly cramped, while in the Newmar it makes the living room area smaller. Tiffin has a 15M heat pump/AC in the front and 13.5 AC in the rear, Newmar has 2 13.5 ACs.

There seem to be pluses and minuses to both. We're trying to figure out the fridge issue and whether the Newmar's 10 cu/ft is large enough.

Any help?
There is a good chance the "10" is a typo. Can't imagine Newmar putting in such a tiny RESIDENTIAL refer. Even the propane refers have been bigger than that for years. Are you looking at pictures of an actual coach?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
There is a good chance the "10" is a typo. Can't imagine Newmar putting in such a tiny RESIDENTIAL refer. Even the propane refers have been bigger than that for years. Are you looking at pictures of an actual coach?
I'm looking in the 2018 Newmar brochure with the specs.

The standard fridge was - Norcold® 8 Cf. Refrigerator
The optional fridge - Frigidaire® 10 Cf. Refrigerator with Dedicated 1000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter & Two Extra Batteries

The build list the dealer sent says Frigidaire, 1000 inverter, 2 bat

There was also an option for a 19.7 Whirlpool, but that's not what's on the build list and it looks small in the pics I've seen.

Any idea what size is in the Tiffin? I can't find the info.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #62

BTW, Newmar is still putting in very small residential fridges. I drove a 2020 Canyon Star today that had an 11 cu/ft residential fridge, that comes with a 1200 watt inverter and 2 batteries. List price on this coach was $207K so it doesn't make sense to me to not have the 19.7 cu/ft fridge with the 2000 watt inverter and 6 batteries.

Looks like the residential fridge used by Tiffin is much bigger and comes with a 2000 watt inverter and 4 batteries. Size probably varies slightly from one model year to the next, but in the pics I've seen they all look pretty close.

We thought we found a Newmar CS 3710 that checked all our boxes, but that small fridge eliminated it. Sure we could replace it, but we don't want to start having to do things like that right from the start.

The process of buying just based on seeing pics online and not being able to go check everything out personally is kind of a pain.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #63

With a larger fridge comes more weight. Possibly part of the equation.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
With a larger fridge comes more weight. Possibly part of the equation.
Possibly, but the coach has an NCC of around 5000 pounds so an extra 50 for a bigger fridge doesn't seem like a big deal.