RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Trying to narrow it down...

We are getting closer to getting a Class A. We've decided on a gasser and like the following coaches. All have a very similar floorplan. We would likely get something 1-3 years old. Hopefully the initial issues would have been sorted out and taken care of. This is what we're looking at:

Tiffin Open Road Allegro 36 LA
Newmar Canyon Star 3710
Entegra Emblem 36U
Fleetwood Southwind 35K

They are listed in order of what we think will be best.

Pros and cons of each?

We would be using it on trips of 1-6 weeks, probably 3-4 months total in a year. It would typically be only the 2 of us, our 2 dogs, and our parrot, but maybe an occasional short trip with one of our married kids and their spouse. What are the known issues with any of these? Are there major quality differences between them? There is a chassis difference ranging from 22K to 26K, but in the trips we've taken in Class C rentals we've never come close to being overloaded so is this a real issue? We will be towing a small car like a Chevy Sonic.

There are other brands with similar floorplans that we've already ruled out.

Looking for some input to narrow this further. Thanks.

Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We are getting closer to getting a Class A. We've decided on a gasser and like the following coaches. All have a very similar floorplan. We would likely get something 1-3 years old. Hopefully the initial issues would have been sorted out and taken care of. This is what we're looking at:

Tiffin Open Road Allegro 36 LA
Newmar Canyon Star 3710
Entegra Emblem 36U
Fleetwood Southwind 35K

They are listed in order of what we think will be best.

Pros and cons of each?

We would be using it on trips of 1-6 weeks, probably 3-4 months total in a year. It would typically be only the 2 of us, our 2 dogs, and our parrot, but maybe an occasional short trip with one of our married kids and their spouse. What are the known issues with any of these? Are there major quality differences between them? There is a chassis difference ranging from 22K to 26K, but in the trips we've taken in Class C rentals we've never come close to being overloaded so is this a real issue? We will be towing a small car like a Chevy Sonic.

There are other brands with similar floorplans that we've already ruled out.

Looking for some input to narrow this further. Thanks.
The Tiffin and the Newmar will be the higher quality of the four you mentioned, but you'll also pay more. For two years we've owned a Jayco Precept Prestige 36U, which is the sister to the Entegra. Both off these have two year warranties. Ours has been trouble free and is a very nice coach. All these coaches will be on the same chassis, drive train, etc. Ours is on the 24K chassis with a 30K gross weight. We weighed it and was 22K, so plenty of carrying capacity.
All this said, the Entegra would be my choice of the four since it could be bought cheaper. If budget is not the major concern, I'd go Newmar or Tiffin.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin is a great choice. The best company service in the industry. You will love it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I believe Newmar uses "hung wall" construction on their gas models. If that is so, Newmar would be my only choice. Entegra only uses it on their top three diesels.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

We were looking at the same floor plans 2yrs ago we were at an rv show trying to make a final decision when we by chance walked into a Thor Challenger 37fh it checked all our needs and wants,and more so we bought it and fulltime ever since and has exceeded our expectations in everyway . Now I see Thor has new 6yr wall delam and 12yr structural warranty. So it might be worth checking out the floor plan on line,and check out specs. 100gal freshwater, 8000lb towing cap,tons of storage, and chassis reworked by MORyde not the rv manufacturer lengthening the wheelbase and squaring and leveling the frame. Good luck n happy camping.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some have space for a washer/dryer combo, and others for stacked separate washer and dryer. If this is important to you, that would be another way to narrow the choices.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can say I am in the Never Again REV/Fleetwood Club after several things fell apart on this one. The lack of quality control is appalling and I am tired of being the head of their "Quality Control" department.

Now I might change my tune after I get it back from the factory shop in Coburg, but I am fairly certain they won't stand behind their lack of workmanship.

Scratch the Bounder off the list and save yourself lots of grief.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Well you seem to be on the right track. Now you need to go and see each unit you mentioned. Take a notebook and make a list of comparable items. Fit and finish, chassis wheelbase to length ratio, wheel diameter, load capacity, actual tow capacity (not the hitch rating). Construction materials, actual wood cabinetry vs fake wood. Plumbing and electrical features..you get the picture? Everyone will point you in the direction that they took because well they know it all. You need to compare and make your own educated choice.. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I can say I am in the Never Again REV/Fleetwood Club after several things fell apart on this one. The lack of quality control is appalling and I am tired of being the head of their "Quality Control" department.

Now I might change my tune after I get it back from the factory shop in Coburg, but I am fairly certain they won't stand behind their lack of workmanship.

Scratch the Bounder off the list and save yourself lots of grief.
I would like to second RRR's post. My wife and I have had an inordinate number of issues with our Holiday Rambler (made by REV) mostly related to poor workmanship and lack of quality control. Also, you might want to consider resale value if you ever want to move up or down. Based on personal knowledge and experience, I would recommend Tiffin first, followed closely by Newmar. I think the 36LA is available on a 26000 lb chassis. The Fleetwood (made by REV) is only available on the 24k. Big difference in handling and cargo carrying capacity.
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #10

I shopped for 2 years before finding my Class A... I was looking specifically for a toy hauler, and based on my initial research and coach inspections, the Newmar was my only consideration... their fit/finish and quality were, IMHO, far above it's only competitor.. the Class A Outlaw..

I noticed during my 2 year search for a used Newmar Toy hauler ... There were many differences in options, price, and mostly condition.... between even the same make/model of motorhome..

As mentioned, it would appear that the top two on your list in terms of quality, are the Tiffin & Newmar...

Since they seem to be of comparative quality, you may want to narrow your search down to either Tiffin & Newmar... Then during your search, let options, price, and condition be the deciding factor between the two...

Good luck with the search..

FYI...Be picky, great deals are out there.. I ended up with a 2014 Newmar 3920, one owner, all receipts, all services performed, many options for only about 9K more than the asking price on a 2011 3920, with no service records, very little prior ownership info, less options and not close to being as nice condition as the 2014....
Old 06-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #11

I'd second hattitude. Tiffin and Newmar are very close in quality, so narrow your search to those two brands.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #12

We also looked at those models and went with the GT7.

Have you checked those out yet?
Old 06-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #13

Thanks for the input! Sounds like we should stick to Tiffin or Newmar. We have been in the Tiffin already, and in a Canyon Star, but not this model. Quality seemed very good on both. The fogging window problem many are experiencing with Newmar is a concern.

We've been in a couple Thors and the quality seemed very inferior. The Class Cs we've rented recently were Forest River and if the Class A is built anything like that we wouldn't be interested. If we get a chance to see a Georgetown we'll take a look out of curiosity. Sounds like we shouldn't bother to look at Fleetwood at this point.

I do a search on RV Trader, RVT, Craigslist and Ebay. Any others I should consider?
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #14

Are you talking about new coaches or used? I know that you said you wanted a gas coach, but why? In 1994, I started out as a boater in a 1982 42' twin diesel trawler. Those diesels were absolutely trouble-free; one revolution of the starter and they would fire. Now I have a 1998 DP. The dependability of the Cummins diesel is just as awsome--starts instantly. Moving to the diesel generator, totally dependable, no carb to get gummed up, no spark plugs, etc. Just wanted to point these things out. Getting back to the nitty gritty, I agree with the posters that like Newmar and Tiffin. Newmar was recently bought out by Winnebago, but so far the Martin family is still in charge there. Bob Tiffin has a super reputation for standing by his product so you can't go wrong there.

tommar is offline   Reply With Quote