Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #15

TSD problems

I don't believe TSD is a scam. I researched a good bit before trying to join. What I think is happening is another party is trying to scam me for my information because somehow they know I tried to join the TSD program.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Mondsy is a holiday so chill until Wed next week...call on the phone.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post
Last week I finally got motivated to sign up with TSD for fuel discounts. Filled out the form, opened a special bank account and sent off the information. Last night I got an email from "TSD" that my form was not complete and they needed SSN and bank account information.

Now. I don't often send out my SSN, nor open an account for this sort of thing. So I know that information was included, not to mention I got redlined for not including something else. Would the program have redlined me had I not included SSN and bank ADA numbers? Hell yes.

I emailed TSD, tried to do a live chat, no joy. Try again Monday, but this do seem like a scam to me.

Look at it from the other side of the desk - you're asking them to create a fiduciary relationship between them, YOU and your bank to effect payment clearance. How do they know you are "you"?

I'm surprised they don't require more info.

And no, it's not a scam. Do a search and you'll find a dozen or so threads but the big one is over 1000 posts. Most of the issues folks here have is speed in processing applications, some folks buy fuel in places where they found less expensive alternatives, and some are/were unhappy that when the fuel market changed, the discounts did, too. We'll see that happen again as demand and prices go up.

If you think it doesn't feel right for you, don't apply.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We've been using the card for about two years. Their system works well and has been trouble free. I opened an additional account at my bank, and keep a balance in it, that makes the account free. I buy fuel, and the next day they send an accounting of what was spent, the discounts and what they're deducting from your account. It usually takes another couple of days before they deduct the money from the account. At the end of the trip, I transfer money back into the account, bringing it up to what I like to keep in there.

Initially, the discounts were a little better. On a trip over the past three weeks, we found that Flying J and Pilot aren't giving any discount. I heard that was due to Marcus Lemonis (Camping World/Good Sam) wanting only his discount to be available at those stations.

Loves is building a HUGE network of new stations and I find them to be very clean and easy to use, but their discount, again out west, was only .05 cents a gallon. I can do better using my PenFed card at a 5% discount.

Finally, we found that the only really good discounts (currently) has been Petro and T/A, which I believe are owned by the same company. On this last trip, they were doing about a 10% discount in California and a little better outside of the Republic of Kalifornia.

Depending on where you travel, you won't always be able to use the card for a huge discount. Those with 150 gallon tanks can plan ahead a little better and shoot for the stations like Petro and T/A with the bigger discounts. For us, in the Los Angeles area, there are very few truck stops that are handy for topping off the tank at the end of a trip, near our house. Consequently, we use a mix of the Pen Fed card and the TSD card.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #19

As we just finished our trip I thought I would put our numbers out there ...

Trip mileage - ~ 7,600 miles

9.12.2020-10.31.2020 - Pump price/avg. - $2.33 // Discounted avg. - $1.92

5.1.2021-5.20.2021 - Pump price/avg. - $3.28 // Discounted avg. - $2.84

Total Pump price - $3,096.58
Discounted Pump price - $2,631.74
Pre - Fee savings - $464.84
Minus Fees - ($65.46)

Total savings = $399.38

T/A was used - 13 X, Loves 2X, Pilot & Petro 1X each, KWIK TRIP/STOP 2X

We have used the card and APP for the last 3 years and have not had any problems, the E-mail settlement statement can be a bit confusing initially but once you get used to it the numbers make sense. The APP makes it very easy to pinpoint a location and the lowest available price in the TSD network. As others have done, we opened a separate Account specifically for use with the TSD card. The cost of DEF is not included in the discounted equation seen in the E-mail settlement.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
TSD sent out an email a couple of weeks ago saying the request for information was a scam. I would no provide it to them in email. I would be persistent and get them on the phone
dld3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #21

I wouldn’t give my SSN to anyone except for employment or to open a financial account. They have no plausible reason to require it.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #22

I’m another happy TSD customer. Not only is the discount nice but the convenience of being able to pay at the pump at truck stops is a bonus. Previously I had to go into the store to prepay which was an added hassle. As for the ss number issue, just freeze your credit with the 3 bureaus. That way nobody can steal your identity. If you need to apply for credit, you can temporarily unfreeze the credit.
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucurr View Post
I wouldn’t give my SSN to anyone except for employment or to open a financial account. They have no plausible reason to require it.
They do need it to check your credit. I did like a lot of people do, open a separate bank account with no auto transfer. It does mean I have to check and transfer money manually.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucurr View Post

I had the same concern. Since it was a required field, I gave the last 4 and it worked.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Keep in mind the TSD card only works in the truck lanes. It does NOT work at the pumps in front of the store, which can be a handful with a DP anyway.

Happy camper here. TA / Petro is 60c / gal discount. Still a bargain, even with interstate truck stop diesel being higher priced than local deals like Sam's, Costco, etc.

Before leaving I take a photo of the pump cost and gallons with the screen that shows the transaction is over and ready for next customer. Too easy to do this, and it allows me to check the discounts / charges later.

Best,
- bob
cbr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #26

I used to be an owner /operator and bought 1000s of gallons of fuel using the EFS card and never had a problem. And yes I gave my sacred ss number. EFS has been around longer than most of you have owned a rv.
2peasinaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #27

Hey Dutch Star, How do you or anyone else pump Diesel in the truck lanes using the TSD card but only finding the larger sized pump nozzle and the flow rate is way too fast to pump into my pick up? Any tips? Thanks.
ChuckandSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Your SS number is not as private as you would hope. As for the bank account, most people open a new one and only keep enough in it to cover the fuel costs. It works just like TSD says. For me, in 9,000 miles per year at 7 mpg, it amounts to a minimum of $500/ year savings. More when Loves were in the program.

Just assume that all of your PII (Personally Identifiable Information) is on the dark web, because for most of us, that is the sad truth. Providing it to TSD won't increase that risk by any measurable amount in my book. As to the separate bank account, that seems like a lot of work for not much safety. Both TSD and the bank they initiate ACH transactions through are on the hook for any fraudulent transactions. Again, the risk here is very low. That said, do as you please.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem