Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

TSP to clean rubber roof?

Been surfing through this forum today til my old eyes are blurry and I gotta quit. At the last minute I saw a roof question that made me decide to ask this question. Would you use TSP to clean a rubber roof? I just used it to prep some paint for re-painting the garage doors on my house and it's a very powerful cleaner but I'm wondering, TOO powerful? My roof is getting older but I keep it parked under a roof so it's in fairly good shape but showing some age, so I don't want to do anything to accelerate the ageing process.
Chuck47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I would be a little bit worried about TSP's strength. I use Dicor's Rubber Roof Cleaner. It works really well.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

No. no as and no. To stong. Use a cleaner made for rubber roofs.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
spic & span --- soft brush
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
Almost.... WHen we had a diesel Bounder with a rubber roof I used to use Spic-N-Span with a long handled scrub brush. The kind of a stiff bristled brush grandma used to use on her floors when she used Spic-N-Span on the floors. A couple of cautions. Be sure you have a hose on the roof and use it liberally. Scrub small sections and rinse liberally. Second, if you have someone on the ground hook up a second hose for them. Let them continually rinse the sides as you rinse the roof to remove the residual soap. You don't want this stuff to dry on the sidewalls as it'll leave streaks that are hard to remove. Better to use a lot of water to keep it rinsed.

When making up your Spic-N-Span, mix it in a bucket of warm/hot water to be sure it's completely dissolved, and apply it with you scrub brush. Do not sprinkle the dry powder on the wet roof. The least amount of Spic-N-Span that will get the roof clean is what you need to use. It's a trade off with scrubbing. More cleaner, less scrubbing needed, but the more chance for side streaking and a lot more work later. The Spic-N-Span powder can be hard to find, but we get ours from Ace Hardware. I did not have good results with the liquid. It just didn't work without 2 or three times the scrubbing. A lot of extra work.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

TSP is a caustic soda rather than a detergent, so I would not risk use that. It is toxic too.

You can use any all-purpose cleaning detergent, e.g. Simple Green, 409, Spic 'n Span, Awesome, Mean Green, etc. You don't need a special "rubber roof cleaner". Add a cup of bleach too - it's helps kill the mold that hides deep in the pores of the EPDM.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
This and perhaps a little bleach...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Alrighty then. 5 immediate replies, all NO! Was never good at math but I think that's pretty close to 100% isn't it? I'll use the left over tsp for something else. Thanks very much for your response
Chuck47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
That is what Dicor used to recommend prior to discovering the money to be made by selling their own branded product lines.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof