RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #1

Tubing popped out from behind air filter

Hi all. I was trying to exercise my generator today and this tube came loose somehow and just popped out. Have no idea what it is for or how to re-attach it. The generator is a Onan Marquis 5000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

1997 Fleetwood Pacearrow Vision
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air_filter_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	205410   Click image for larger version

Name:	air_filter_2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	205411  

Click image for larger version

Name:	air_filter_3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	205412  
Gabriel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #2

Certainly that is to help the engine run better in cold weather by taking air heated by the generator's cylinders and using that for it's intake air. So, with that, I assume that hose goes close to the cylinder heads. The other opening goes to the air filter box (dirty side).

For the specifics, see if you can find a service manual.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that genny.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that genny.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you for the welcome
Old 06-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Certainly that is to help the engine run better in cold weather by taking air heated by the generator's cylinders and using that for it's intake air. So, with that, I assume that hose goes close to the cylinder heads. The other opening goes to the air filter box (dirty side).

For the specifics, see if you can find a service manual.
Hi and thanks for the feedback. I've been searching for that manual for months and can't locate it anywhere. The generator doesn't slide out and it is tight as heck behind it. I tried locating it by feel and can't seem to find anywhere it connects to. I've crawled under the rig but the plate it sits on conceals any view to the back end of the generator. My motorhome is sitting on blocks and finding a mobile service tech that works on generators is next to impossible here. I normally don't use my generator but the property I'm sitting on is having a complete electrical overhaul done in mid july so there will be times with the shore power cut off and will need that generator working. Still quite the newb here but slowly and painfully learning lol
Old 06-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

This is part of the air intake system. In other words, it either goes on top of the carburetor. There is a, I believe, plastic connector for the tube to hook on. You should be able to see (or feel) for it once you set the box on. Good Luck
Old 06-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

OkI found my manual finally. In the manual there is a diagram of the entire generator, Looking at the generator air filter cap it does show that flexible conduit attachment but doesn't identify what it is. All the other parts are identified. Is it possible it is just an exhaust or something similar? Appears the manual doesn't deem it important enough to identify. There are is also no slit down the flexible conduit to suggest it fits over and protect any wiring.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
This is part of the air intake system. In other words, it either goes on top of the carburetor. There is a, I believe, plastic connector for the tube to hook on. You should be able to see (or feel) for it once you set the box on. Good Luck
Thank you for replying Kjunda. The carb is in the very front top right of the generator. The diagram shows it going into the very back right top corner of the generator. I felt around back there for something to attach to but all I felt was empty air. There is also no physical markings of any clamps on the end of the conduit.

I found a video on youtube that shows my exact unit, you can see there where the conduit goes to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=WMFhZavIPrM
Old 06-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
On the cover of the air filter you can see the summer and winter markings. When you turn to winter there is a diverter in the housing that makes some of the intake air come from the heated air of the engine. It is part of the pollution control. The hose plugs into a metal plate that collects the warm air. The plate is on underneath side of the top side of the generator housing, toward the back. If you run your hand just inside the housing, you will feel where it attaches and can reattach it. 98% of the people never use it and most techs do not put them back on.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #10

Since you said your need was in July, you will not need this device for that usage. If you would plan to remember and use it in winter (switch the diverted over to pull in heated air from the cylinders), then you should continue to search for the attachment point. If you mainly use your rig in spring/summer/fall, you donít really need it- IMHO.
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies, you folks are simply awesome. I've been fulltiming for 2 yrs now and man what a learning experience it has been and still is.

I have a few more generator questions but I'll save it for a new thread. The manual is almost worthless.

Kind regards !

Tags
air