Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

Tune Up Devices Such as 5 Star and Banks Etc

I have a Coachman Aurora 2002 class a 28ft F53 V10 motor with 20,000 miles. I am considering purchasing a tune up device such as 5 star, Bank, etc. They seem expensive. Are they worth the investment and what kind of experience had you had with this type product.
tony p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tony,

I installed the Five Star tune on my 2014 Coachmen Mirada and have realized a significant improvement in driveability. No change in mileage, but much less cab noise due to constant shifting of the transmission, lower RPM's in most situations, and an increase in power for getting on the freeway, merging etc. A little spending, but worth it in my mind. Hope this helps.
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlady View Post
Tony,

I installed the Five Star tune on my 2014 Coachmen Mirada and have realized a significant improvement in driveability. No change in mileage, but much less cab noise due to constant shifting of the transmission, lower RPM's in most situations, and an increase in power for getting on the freeway, merging etc. A little spending, but worth it in my mind. Hope this helps.
I also installed a 5 Star Tune on my 2006 F-53. I noticed better shifts; it would wait a bit longer before downshifting on a hill, and wouldn't immediately shift into 3rd, but would shift down into 4th first, then if it needed it, 3rd. The engine seemed to have more power also, as some hills, the rig would climb without downshifting at all. Plus, I seemed to pick up about .5 MPG as well.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #4

If you have the 4 speed transmission, its not going to give you the improved shifting that it gives the 5 speed transmissions. They have some gear skipping shifts that the Tune helps.

If your shift handle is marked OD OFF/ON, its the 4 speed. That transmission doesn't skip gears.
The tune may give you a bit more HP but that's only when your flooring the gas pedal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #5

The 5 star tune will give you more torque and drivability across the whole RPM range not just full throttle at high RPMs. It will also help with the premature down shifts on a 4R100 transmission.

The Banks Power Pack will also give more HP & torque across the whole RPM range. About $2500 + labor.

Richard
Old 02-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Also, there is a group buy thru IRV2. Do a search on the internet for 5 star group buy.
Here, I did the search. https://5startuning.com/product/irv2/
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a Banks PowerPak on a V-10 class C and it improved drivability and helped mid-range power. It also improved transmission shifting. Fuel economy came up very slightly if I could keep mu foot out of the accelerator.

If you plan to keep the coach long term, it might be worth it. If you keep it a few years, probably not.

Ken
Old 02-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Prior to 2006 or 2005, the V-10 had issues with plug spitting, and exhaust manifold studs, but gained noticeable improvements with the banks headers, exhaust and intake mods. 2006 and newer used the redesigned headers, 3 valves per cylinder, new intake manifold, and air-box which boosted torque and hp higher than the Banks mods on the older models. The newer models seem to benefit from the 5Star. They have the dyno data available for the 5 and 6 speed to compare to stock.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:49 AM   #9

5 star tuner on my 2002 V10 Sea Breeze made a huge difference in drive ability. The way it shifted before the tune drove me nuts. I feel better throttle response and very positive, properly timed shifts now. Money well spent.
Racer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer61 View Post
5 star tuner on my 2002 V10 Sea Breeze made a huge difference in drive ability. The way it shifted before the tune drove me nuts. I feel better throttle response and very positive, properly timed shifts now. Money well spent.
x2 exact same thing I would write for my 2003, I took it back to stock once ,could not wait to get the tune back in it.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put the Banks Power Pack and Brazel's tune on my 2004 Georgetown (37') when I had it. It had the same engine and transmission as yours. Driveability improvement was hugely apparent compared to stock, and worth every penny in my mind. If you intend to hang onto you MH for a long time, I'd invest in these improvements.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
IMO the cold air intakes are no gain. Ford designed intakes and oem filters flow more than enough air for the engines needs. Oiled media filters tend to be over-oiled and the residue ends up on you MAF.

A high flow Cat and catback probably gives you a better bang for the buck as far as drivability goes, but you will never make any money back on fuel economy.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:39 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
tony p2-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Re: 5-Star. I bought it, installed it, and after a few runs removed it and went back to the stock programming. It did reduce the annoying downshifts, and slightly improved accelerator response. But, it also made the cruise control drop out unexpectedly. I reported that to the 5-Star folks and got a lukewarm response from them. Please note that my experience is different than that reported by many other 5-Star users on iRV2.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think responses relating experiences with 2005 and later model year F53 MH's don't directly apply to the OP's 2002 version with 2-vlv V10 and 4-spd transmission. The 2-vlv motor was underpowered and didn't "breathe" as well as later models, and the 4-spd made that underperformance situation worse because of the large RPM changes required to get out of a lower gear once it dropped down there because it either couldn't or wouldn't hold a gear on an incline. So many times in hills, my 2004 Georgetown would drop to 3rd, or 2nd and try like crazy to get back to the higher gear, only to drop right back down again because the RPM spread was too great for it to hold the higher gear. In reality, the transmission was programmed to accommodate the engine's underperformance, and in my opinion, downshifted prematurely on hills as a result. The only way to get out of the situation was to get out of the hill.
So I jumped at the Banks/Brazels solution for my MH. The engine performance change/improvement was immediate, and the transmission did a much better job of holding gear until it was really time to downshift. And the straight and level driving was effortless I totally enjoyed driving it after making the upgrade. So my opinion is on 2004 and prior, make the upgrade if you can handle the cost and are going to hold onto your MH for a while. The improvements are very much worth the money.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote