Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Turbo coolant line replacement

I have a 300 cummings ISB in my 2006 Damon Astoria. The coolant line from the turbo to the engine block is leaking. Looks like a really tight space to get it off. Do you have to drain radiator? and any help will be appreciated as to the procedure.I have the new line.
jackofalltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltra View Post
I have a 300 cummings ISB in my 2006 Damon Astoria. The coolant line from the turbo to the engine block is leaking. Looks like a really tight space to get it off. Do you have to drain radiator? and any help will be appreciated as to the procedure.I have the new line.
Coolant line to the Turbo? Might 2X check that.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

Yes it is a coolant line,leaks antifreeze.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Coolant line to the Turbo? Might 2X check that.
X2, sure it's not an oil line?
Old 02-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes it is a coolant line,leaks antifreeze.
Pull the Oil dip stick and see if it smells like Coolant...
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #6

The turbos on Cummins engines have an oil supply line, usually a braided hose... it supplies fresh cooling and lubricating oil... those of us that use an EGT gauge will allow our turbo's to drop below 350* F. so that the oil left in the turbo when the engine is shut down doesn't cook off and turn to burnt oil.... think about pulling a hill and pulling into a rest area at the top of the hill....

So that oil needs to return to the engine... and under the turbo is a metal tube... looks like its pleated... so it can expand and contract with heat... usually attached to the turbo with (4) bolts.. and attached to the pan with either a sealed clip or (2) bolts and another gasket or o-ring....

On some engines is a coolant line, located above the turbo running along the side of the block... usually that tube is in (2) pieces and connected with a short rubber hose... could your coolant leak be that connection running down the side of the block onto the oil return tube on the pan..
Old 02-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Ok: I just got under the Rv and see the line is a braided steel line about 18" long,goes from the turbo to the block,is leaking anti-freeze not oil.Thanks for your info.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok: I just got under the Rv and see the line is a braided steel line about 18" long,goes from the turbo to the block,is leaking anti-freeze not oil.Thanks for your info.
If it is a coolant line you will have to drain at least enough coolant so the level is below the lowest connect of the line you are replacing. My guess is at least 2-3 gallons.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jack...... I would have the new one ready, cap the turbo end of the new hose with some type of plug (tips from silicone tubed work well). Remove the engine connection and quickly install the new line. You'll probably lose some antifreeze, but not a lot. There shouldn't be as much pressure/coolant loss at the upper fitting.

Mechanic's tip.....if you're under the coach changing the lower hose, tie a rag around both wrists. It'll keep the fluid from running down your arms. I like to save large pieces of cardboard from products I get delivered to use under the coach for things like you're doing now. When done, I throw them away.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

The ISX has an EGR valve that uses coolant.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Thanks for the info. What is an ETG gauge? This turbo has water coolant lines and oil drain lines.From the forum replies I figure I can change it myself. I'll drain some antifreeze and go from there.
Thanks again for the info. PS: I all ways let my engine cool down for 15 min. before shutting it down.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #12

Don: Thanks I'll try your idea, the one end on the line that goes to the turbo has a bolt going thru that connects it to the turbo. I don't think the antifreeze will leak as the line leaks for a while when I shut down then stops. I then need to add about 3-4 quarts of antifreeze to fill it.So I'm going to try to take it loose and see.
You guys are the greatest,I have saved so much money from the site I'm taking my wife on a vacation in March.
Jack

Tags
replacement, replace, ace