Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #15

Update

Ok Jerry Powell your post Raised my Concerns, So since I was a little apprehensive after leaving the mechanic n Jerry’s post I decide to investigate further myself. I’m Dealing with vertigo so it makes it difficult getting down the hatch. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I do all the servicing myself

I researched several years back on irv2 and found several posts indicating the exhaust manifold was the issue on cylinder #3. I used a mirror and could not find any cracked turbo line. I used my stethoscope and listened to the turbo and did not hear any odd noise. I checked each exhaust port and found the noise was coming from #3 and I could see a small gap in the gasket area.

So I am pretty confident that is the problem. I am not afraid to drive it like it is until I get home. But for safe measures I will have a different mechanic look at it. While down there I found a loose coolant hose clamp that the first mechanic didn’t mention and the coolant was pretty obvious.

Crossing my fingers, I’ll keep you updated. Thnx Jerry, sometimes it just takes a kick in the pants. Lol.
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I had the same problem and it turned out to be a turbo gasket. Look down on your exhaust manifold and look for black rings around the unit . You should also get a strong exhaust smell. Cummings warrantees RV motors for 5 years or 500,000 miles. Check with your local Freightliner shop.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 PM   #17

Pat, unfortunately due to the nature of the failure prior detection is next to impossible.

What I will tell you is that it is a rare failure on a turbo that has proper maintenance (oil changes) and less than 100K miles. If the noise that you are hearing was a turbo bearing, then it would have ran away a long time ago. The only way to properly inspect the turbo is to disassemble it and at that point the bill would have only been slightly more to replace it and have a 100K mile guarantee.

I hope I didn't frighten you too much, but that mechanic doesn't know the back side of what he said. I will again tell you that it is a rare failure.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:18 AM   #18

I’m certain the turbo is good, after hearing the leak and my visual inspection there is little doubt. No signs of leakage anywhere else.

I have only owned the coach for two years now and 8K miles. I have changed the oil and filters twice, I’m pretty annal about maintenance.

Regarding warranty, its an 07 so it’s beyond cummins warranty, however i do have Goodsam and it is covered.

Goodsam by the way was very easy to deal with last year when the chassis AC system was replaced ($1300] It’s about $1500 ish a year, but I can’t stress enough what a comfortable feeling it is driving down the road knowing major repairs are covered. (Get the optional seals and gasket package)

I will update when the repair is made. Thnx again
Old 05-07-2018, 05:47 AM   #19

Agree with JCM. Had the same thing happen 2 years ago. Metal turbo gasket crack. Sounded like a fire truck siren. Had repairs done a Cummins NW.
Larnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #20

I have a 400ISL, your description sounds exactly like the problem I had,,,,,,, blown exhaust manifold gasket. Not very expensive to fix (in comparison) but should be addressed. You can spot this by looking for gray exhaust residue around the manifold surface where it bolts to the head.

Mine occured at about 50,000 miles.

L.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #21

Update

Hello all, well we made it back to Idaho. I was going to have the issue repaired in Calif. but I contacted my local shop in N. Idaho (Kootenai truck and auto repair, in Couer d'alene) they were confident I could drive it home to have it repaired. I preferred that in case something went wrong with the repair it would be local. The noise got a little louder during the trip which is what they said would happen.

Anyhow the #2 cylinder exhaust manifold gasket was blown. The manifold itself was warped and needed to be resurfaced. $860 total, Goodsam covered everything over our deductible.

Thanks again for all the help!! Safe and happy travels.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #22

Excellent! Glad it worked out for you. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was #2 on mine as well.

L.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #23

Must be an epidemic. Mine was #2 also and had snapped the manifold bolts. Manifold was also warped but on the plus side, found a great mechanic!! He is my new best friend.

Have a nice day - DArrel

Tags
noise, turbo