Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #1

Turn ignition key, no starter sounds, battery 13.4v

Just pulled into an RV site in our 2007 Newmar Bay Star, turned off the ignition to setup outside, came back in to start RV to lower the jacks and power to dash and levelers but absolutely no sound of the starter even attempting to crank. Checked fuses and they seem good, checked battery with multimeter and was 13.4 volts.

Any ideas?
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #2

Do your gauges operate?

Dash fan for the AC come on ?

What chassis ? Ford ? Workhorse ?
Old 09-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
There are a lot of possibilities, a voltage meter would help if you have one. Recently this happened to a fellow RVr and it was that the transmission was not in park all of the way. I would test that as it is simple to test, if it is in park, shift to drive and back to park and try again. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

Ford F53

All dash gauges work, a/c fan works.
Have moved from park to drive and back several times. Cleaned battery ground wire, disconnected battery and reattached. Used multimeter and ignition plug at bird was 13.4 volts.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
Old 09-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Have you (or can you) check the voltage at the starter? I believe the F53's have the solenoid on the starter which also means that in an emergency situation you could trigger the solenoid to make the starter engage, you would connect from the battery cable side of the solenoid to the small terminal which should engage the starter... if the solenoid isn't the cause of the issue. ~CA
Old 09-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it in park completely, try it in neutral maybe.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Have you (or can you) check the voltage at the starter? I believe the F53's have the solenoid on the starter which also means that in an emergency situation you could trigger the solenoid to make the starter engage, you would connect from the battery cable side of the solenoid to the small terminal which should engage the starter... if the solenoid isn't the cause of the issue. ~CA
I thought it might be the solenoid and since the solenoid is one piece with the starter I replaced the entire unit. It still will not crank unless I jump as you noted above. I did confirm there is power to the ignition terminal.

I have read it could be start switch switch circuit which includes the ignition and transmission safety switch, does that seem possible? If yes where is it located?
Old 09-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
I thought it might be the solenoid and since the solenoid is one piece with the starter I replaced the entire unit. It still will not crank unless I jump as you noted above. I did confirm there is power to the ignition terminal.

I have read it could be start switch switch circuit which includes the ignition and transmission safety switch, does that seem possible? If yes where is it located?
Yes, certainly could be the neutral safety switch and in fact a common problem on many vehicles with enough time. I am not sure which transmission is in yours, but the switch on most all trucks that I have seen is that it is located on the transmission, commonly where the shift linkage connects.

One easy test that you can do is check if the backup lights turn on when in reverse. If the backup lights turn on at some other location than R or perhaps not at all (and you don't have dead bulbs) then that would also indicate a bad switch as the backup lights and neutral safety switch (prevents starting when not in park or neutral) are housed in the same switch assembly. However, the switch itself has multiple contacts inside so if the backup lights work and only in R position, then that doesn't prove the neutral safety portion (starter lockout) of the switch is good. You could likely test the switch with your ohm meter, but a wiring diagram may be needed. ~CA
Old 09-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #9

Bad starter solenoid. Common problem.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
Bad starter solenoid. Common problem.
Changed the starter and solenoid but still will not make any attempt at starting. I can start the coach by turning on the ignition switch and on snap the starter placing a screw driver between the battery power terminal and the terminal that receives the ignitions signal.

Since I am getting power at the starter from the battery but no voltage on the ignition signal terminal I think it may be the transmission position sensor/neutral safety switch. If the PCM sent a signal to the transmission position sensor and it did not report back the coach was in park or neutral the PCM would not send a signal to the starter to crank the coach.

The problem I am having is trying to find the above mentioned 15 year old replacement parts and have not even been able to find schematics showing where these parts are on a 2007 Ford F53.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #11

Ok , a little bit of an issue with terms here , between the ignition switch and the activation terminal on the side of the starter mounted solenoid , is a device I refer to as a " starter relay " that some call a solenoid .
The starter relay , has two large terminals and two small ones .
Large terminals are battery power and the feed wire to the starter activation terminal .
Small terminals are , power from ignition switch crank position and a ground wire that goes to the neutral safety switch .
Ford used to use one that looks like this picture .
I'll see if I can track down a photo of the relay Ford used on the 2007 F-53 chassis.
Some how over the years the terms relay and solenoid have started to be used differently than when I started out in automotive repair.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #12

Ok search turns up a new design and and old thread from here in the forums with a diagram of the location ( but not your chassis year ). I'll see if I can find better info with regard to year.

www.irv2.com/forums/f23/f53-no-start-258645.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford starter relay  solenoid.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	343039  
Old 09-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #13

It would appear that Ford changed this system ( starter relay )around , about as often as some people change their socks .
From grounding the relay through a neutral safety switch ( 4 terminal relay ) to interrupting the power from the ignition crank position with a shift selector module ( 3 terminal internal ground relay ) . Picture 1
Common theme is location , above right side frame rail , pictures 2 & 3 , but picture 3 ( 2013 chassis ) shows a different relay ( white x in red box ) and several part sites show that style of relay when I went looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F-53 StartRelay_2_800.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	343075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford F-53 starter relay 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	343076  

Name:	F-53 Right side frame rail.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	343077  
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #14

Update: issue ended up being the starter relay, changed it and the coach fired up the first try. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Tags
battery, ignition, no start, starter