Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Turned on Battery Disconnect- How to Turn on?

Day before last, I was working around the motorhome and switched both battery (aux and main) disconnect switches to the off position. I heard what sounded like a circuit breaker sound. I then waited a few seconds and pushed both back on. I did not hear any switching noise.

Yesterday I tried starting the motorhome and all I got was 1 weak idiot light (cant remember which one).

I checked on the stove where all the coach levels are shown and the battery level was at the lowest-red. It had been at the highest only a few days before when I had re-done the roof.

Im assuming I missed something in the process to get the batteries back online.

Help!

Also, another newbie question: how do I hook up my coach to my house power?

Thanks!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Day before last, I was working around the motorhome and switched both battery (aux and main) disconnect switches to the off position. I heard what sounded like a circuit breaker sound. I then waited a few seconds and pushed both back on. I did not hear any switching noise.

Yesterday I tried starting the motorhome and all I got was 1 weak idiot light (cant remember which one).

I checked on the stove where all the coach levels are shown and the battery level was at the lowest-red. It had been at the highest only a few days before when I had re-done the roof.

Help!

Thanks!
Do we have any idea what year/make/model/engine/trans/chassis we're being asked about?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check for a second "salesman switch". I have one at the door and one on the dash. I've had occasions when one was tripped and it wouldn't reenergize. I had to use the dash switch to reenergize.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:

Help!

Thanks!

Please note the bold in your OP. I understand this to mean that you had disconnected the batteries and then turned the battery switches back ON. If that's the case, over the course of a few days, it's quite possible that the batteries drained, especially if you had some devices turned on and the batteries themselves were old or had not been maintained.

In short, there are things we need to know, as mentioned by the previous poster, as well as the condition of your batteries. Advising how to connect to shore power will depend on your coach make and model to be completely accurate. In the meantime, you can connect a charger to the battery banks to charge them. Charging the entire house bank from the alternator, once you get the engine started, is not recommended as that will strain the alternator.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Do we have any idea what year/make/model/engine/trans/chassis we're being asked about?

Scott
1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Ford Engine
Old 10-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Please note the bold in your OP. I understand this to mean that you had disconnected the batteries and then turned the battery switches back ON. If that's the case, over the course of a few days, it's quite possible that the batteries drained, especially if you had some devices turned on and the batteries themselves were old or had not been maintained.

In short, there are things we need to know, as mentioned by the previous poster, as well as the condition of your batteries. Advising how to connect to shore power will depend on your coach make and model to be completely accurate. In the meantime, you can connect a charger to the battery banks to charge them. Charging the entire house bank from the alternator, once you get the engine started, is not recommended as that will strain the alternator.
When I winterized, I pretty much shut everything down that I could that required power. All circuit breakers to appliances, all lights, etc are off. The only item Im aware of that still works from the battery besides normal driving gadgets is the retractible entry stairs.

How do I separate the charging of the house batteries from the alternator since Ill need to get the coach started and running again?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
When I winterized, I pretty much shut everything down that I could that required power. All circuit breakers to appliances, all lights, etc are off. The only item Im aware of that still works from the battery besides normal driving gadgets is the retractible entry stairs.

How do I separate the charging of the house batteries from the alternator since Ill need to get the coach started and running again?
If you can start the generator, start it, and let it charge up the batteries a while before starting the engine. People say it wont hurt the alternator, but I have seen in two instances where the alternator failed after having completely dead batteries. Probably just a coincidence, but for hundreds of dollars in parts, and the hours to change out, I would just start the generator. Boost it if you have to. JMHO.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The two systems are inherently separate and only get cross-connected for certain specific times & actions. Basically, when the engine runs a solenoid is activated to cross-connect the house and chassis battery for alternator charging. Other wise, they get connected when you press the Aux Start (aka Emergency Start) switch on the dash.

You can jump start the engine just as you would a car - just connect to the chassis battery terminals with the jumper cables.

Quote:
Plug the coach shore cord into an outlet. The coach probably has a 30A shore cord/plug, so you will probably want a 30A-->15A adapter plug, available at Walmart or any RV store. If you have an outlet at the house that looks like it might accept the prongs on the RV plug, DON'T USE IT until you can verify that it is wired for 120v power rather than 220v. Older houses may have 220v dryer outlets and garages or workshops may have 220v welder outlets, either of which will fry the coach electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Electr.../dp/B00QQYWJD0
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The two systems are inherently separate and only get cross-connected for certain specific times & actions. Basically, when the engine runs a solenoid is activated to cross-connect the house and chassis battery for alternator charging. Other wise, they get connected when you press the Aux Start (aka Emergency Start) switch on the dash.

You can jump start the engine just as you would a car - just connect to the chassis battery terminals with the jumper cables.

Plug the coach shore cord into an outlet. The coach probably has a 30A shore cord/plug, so you will probably want a 30A-->15A adapter plug, available at Walmart or any RV store. If you have an outlet at the house that looks like it might accept the prongs on the RV plug, DON'T USE IT until you can verify that it is wired for 120v power rather than 220v. Older houses may have 220v dryer outlets and garages or workshops may have 220v welder outlets, either of which will fry the coach electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Electr.../dp/B00QQYWJD0
For the adapter, is it safe to use an extension cord from the house? If so, is higher gague recommended?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #10

Just went out to start my Generator. No start for now. Ill have to troubleshoot later when I have time. Are there any other good alternatives for recharging the house batteries without using the alternator?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
For the adapter, is it safe to use an extension cord from the house? If so, is higher gague recommended?

Yes, extension cords are fine (no air conditioner running)

Tags
battery, battery disconnect