Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
TV antenna

Hi All
just got a 2001 GBM class A, need an idea for an dig. TV antenna, the previous owner replaced the Bat wing with a crank up dish, don't want to remove it in case i want to get the service down the road.
Thanks
AL
AL Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is one idea.

King Controls Jack OA-8200 Aerial Mount HD Antenna with SureLock Single Finder White (OA8200) from Solid Signal
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That "Jack' antenna is good one, I replaced my old Batwing with one last year. The only difference is I just bought the anntena, which bolts right on to the old crank up used by the Batwing....works great!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
That "Jack' antenna is good one, I replaced my old Batwing with one last year. The only difference is I just bought the anntena, which bolts right on to the old crank up used by the Batwing....works great!
I've got an old bat i wouldnt mind replacing....
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
You do not need a "digital antenna" to get over the air digital HD signal.

I am replacing my Concord with the Jack because the trees kept eating the wings on the Concord.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
mgscott4

the dish is in place of batwing, i don't want to remove it, need an idea for an other antenna
also have a couple of ques tans, my EM is alfredcarbone@gmail.com
AL Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by km17 View Post
I've got an old bat i wouldnt mind replacing....
A lot of folks buy the hype that the jack is better than the batwing. Testing shows that it is.. HOWEVER

That is when compared to the Sensar II

If you add a Wingman to teh Sensar II, making it into an Sensar III then it's as good as the Jack.. I have only one complaint about the Sensar III and that is the lack of a full 360 Degree rotation,,, I know how to fix that and may some day. (Requires I fabricate some stuff)

And if you upgrade yet again by adding the Sensar PRO.. You will have the system I have.. I do not think the Jack is as good.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Dot
mgscott4

the dish is in place of batwing, i don't want to remove it, need an idea for an other antenna
also have a couple of ques tans, my EM is alfredcarbone@gmail.com
Then the Jack would be a good option since it does come with it's own roof mount and amplifier.

Those that just want to replace their antenna and keep the old batwing crank up, you can just buy the Jack antenna for about $40.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
I do not think the Jack is as good.
I replaced my Sensar III while camping in central FL last year and picked up 9 more channels without even turning it. That's my experience anyway.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The previous owner probably wanted to prevent adding a second hole to the roof, so swaping the Bat Wing for a Crank-up Sat Dish was a good idea, especially if he/she subscribed to DistantNetworkService (network TV on your dish)

So if you have this: Click image for larger version

Name:	rm-dm46.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	24425

You might try to add/modify it to this:

Name:   rm-dm61-satellite-antenna.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  4.3 KB

Crank-Up Satellite Dish with Digital Magic - Winegard

However, the side walls of a typical RV are no obstacle to the signal, so you could just put a cheap digital antennea inside your rig somewhere
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
YC1

I installed a Jack on a command vehicle from scratch. The installation was easy enough and the performance astonished both the Sheriff and I. With 25 years of experience with the crank up antenna I was surpriesed how well the Jack performs. It seems to have a wider beam than the added yagi on the crank up which will sometimes let you see more channels without turning. In any case both are excellent choices but I can guarantee I would look at the Jack again in an instant. Come to think of it, I have another command vehicle coming up to install. It is fun to drill holes in new RV's. Love my job.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A lot of folks buy the hype that the jack is better than the batwing. Testing shows that it is.. HOWEVER

That is when compared to the Sensar II

If you add a Wingman to teh Sensar II, making it into an Sensar III then it's as good as the Jack.. I have only one complaint about the Sensar III and that is the lack of a full 360 Degree rotation,,, I know how to fix that and may some day. (Requires I fabricate some stuff)

And if you upgrade yet again by adding the Sensar PRO.. You will have the system I have.. I do not think the Jack is as good.
Man,i am sorry,that was a joke,i was talking about the wife being an old bat.but again was kidding
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #13

Will an Antenna Pros AX-909g2 work, seems to have very good consumer reviews, thanks
GuitarLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put the Wingman on our antenna. Worked wonders so I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna