RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TV Antenna Coax Replacement

I have to do a little more testing but it appears my coax from the antenna to to the amp located over the driver is bad. Maybe it was damaged during the roof installation but it has worked until now - 10 mos after the install. Has anyone had to replace the coax? Just wondering how you did it and what tips could be shared. Wonder if I could fasten the old cable to a new one and pull it through? Otherwise I donít have a clue.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #2

You can check the cable....you need what's called a termination cap, {bubble pak at HD or Lowes)......screw one onto one end of cable, then take ohm meter to the other end of cable.....place one meter lead on center wire and the other to the outside of that connector.....get a reading? cable ok......then might try to see if connectors are stuck to cable or loose
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks but Iíve pretty much condemned the cable. I ran another one in through the window for testing purposes and all was good. I redid the end on the roof at the antenna but still no joy. My concern now is about replacement.
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Most likely one end terminal, or the other, or both are bad. Check cable as Bob Caldwell has advised. I have soldered wires to a 9 volt battery and a cable connection. Then I use a multimeter to check for a 9 volt signal.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

I think your idea of connecting the end of a good one to the end of the bad one should work. You might want to buy some lube for electrical cables. This should make it easier to pull thru. As for testing the cable (and I know you have figured out the cable is bad) you could have a shorted center conductor to the outer shield. Just shorting one end of the cable and using a multimeter would not necessarily prove anything. If that is how your existing cable became damage pulling a new one might present a problem. In other words when the factory installed the cable they might routed it near a sharp corner and pinched the cable and with the MH moving it crushed the cable or cut it. It could be a badly placed staple that did the same thing. Anyway all this might cause s problem pulling a new cable. If that's a problem can you find another way to route it even if you have to add additional length of wire. Let us know how you make out. Good luck with your project.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

BS....if cable is shorted, readings would tell you that....
Old 11-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #7

And good luck not pulling the connectors off each cable.....one would be better off to tape cables side by side....
Old 11-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #8

For sure add a chase string to the old cable with e tape, so that if you pull off a connector at least the string will keep coming and you'll get a second chance. Someone pushing while you pull might be wise as well.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Replaced the cable on my Aerbus by connecting the new cable to the old, taping the joint and lubing the outside of the tape with silicone. I did remove an upper side panel ( passenger side in my RV) and had the DW gently pull the cable as I fed the other end from the roof. Once the cable connection was through the roof, it went pretty easily. By removing the side panel, we weren't trying to pull at an extreme angle.

Hope the info helps!

Tags
ace, antenna, replace, replacement