RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

TV Antenna Replacement

We have a little stick antenna for each of our TVís. Itís the ones that come stock on our 2019 Adventurer. Sometimes we get reception and sometimes we donít, even when we donít move. Is there a standard replacement that most folks use to replace these antennaís. Iím not interested in getting a dish or cable.
dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Winegard Batwing works well for us.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

Don't know what you mean by little stick antenna. Could you post a picture or provide a name and model number?
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #4

Batwing with the Wingman.....best one going!......
Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
The Winegard Batwing works well for us.
Was that the original antenna or a replacement? I can do a simple replacement, but not sure I have the skills for something that requires pulling cables through the walls and finding power supplies. I installed a winegard Togo, but that was easy I ran the wires down the fridge vent.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Original antenna, added a Wingman to it a few years ago. Do you have factory installed coax cable to roof? If not, routing cable could be difficult depending on location of TV and antenna roof location. Power for the antenna head is transmitted thru coax, no additional power required to the roof location.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #7

The antenna you now are using probably already has the coax cable attached to it......a pic of the one you have would folks steer you better....
Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do you know the make/model of it??

I also have the Sensar with the Wingman added. It works good.

I even bought a Jack antenna thinking it would improve reception, it did not, put the Sensar back on.

I would check the cable connector on the attenna and also at the amplifiers. If you have the wall type amplifier you will have to take it out to make sure both the in/out connections are tight. Make sure the amplifier is working, light should come on when switch is on. There might be a fuse to check (memory).
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #9

I am not the best antennae expert. However, here are a couple of tips for general understanding.

Many RV's come with a directional antennae and have a 12 volt power amplifier. Of course the amplifier must be turned "on" and the antennae must be pointed at the source TV station.

Antennae can be as simple as a straight conductor pointing up.

Antennae gain can be improved by design. Omni-directional antennae do this by "aiming" more side ways all around. Signal strength and noise reduction is improved.

Further design gain comes by narrowing the detection side ways. Antennae with "arms" that tend to point sideways are examples. This increases gain, but has to be turned toward the signal to work.

Next comes the electronics. A powered amplifier increases the signal and good ones reduce noise. These need to be turned "on" to work and tend to block signal when turned "off".

Of course raising the antennae higher get it above some noise and eliminates obstructions like trees and buildings.

I hope this helps you understand your options.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
This King digital antenna will install where original over-air was installed. It has meter inside showing you best signal when you rotate. It worked very well for our needs to watch local channel major networks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	513403E1-4604-4850-B888-085B09BE80C1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	303876
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #11

I also have King Jack as above post it was not powered at its amp but uses old amp still works great. I know its not as good as batwing with wingman tested against my friends but 200% less combined antenna length . The good I don't have raise or lower it. The bad When his is down its a foot lower raised a foot higher.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #12

Stick antenna? Are you sure that's not the AM/FM antenna over the cab? Are you sure there isn't another antenna, maybe crank up or King Jack style? Are you switching on the amplifier?

I can't imagine a new motorhome with TVs not having an amplified antenna such as a King Jack or Winegard crank up.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #13

3 Antennas

Original Poster here. I was finally able to get out and get pictures of the top of the RV and the 3 antennas I have. Several folks said the stick antennas were radio antenna's and that makes sense. I have two radio's 1 in front and 1 in back and I have two stick antenna's. I also have a king wing antenna. It doesn't go up or down, it just sits there. I do have a booster button inside that I click on when I use the antenna. So, now the question is, is this king antenna considered adequate and I should quit expecting to get more reception than I do, or should I be upgrading because it's a crappy antenna. Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InkedIMG_2799_LI.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	304060   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_2800_LI.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	304061  

Name:	InkedIMG_2801_LI.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	304062  
Old 10-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #14

That flying saucer antenna in your second photo is the TV antenna. It's an omni-directional loop antenna inside that plastic case, which means it has almost no gain over a dipole. But the gain is somewhat the same in every direction, though not perfectly by a fair bit.

I have a similar antenna on my van. It does ok, but I can't get the two high-VHF channels that broadcast from the same antenna farm near my house as the UHF channels, which are only a few miles away. The small metal loop element is too short for the longer signal wavelength of high-VHF, and may also be confused by multipath signals reflected off all the trees and structures nearby.

And while I'd like to replace it with one that directional (higher gain in whatever direction it's aimed, and better rejection of reflected signals), it's just not worth the trouble to me. I'd have to cut a hole in the roof and ceiling liner and install the indoor portion, which rotates the antenna.

Tags
ace, antenna, replace, replacement