Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

TV Connections

I replaced the front TV in our 2003 bus due to extreme weight, waiting for the entire overhead console to come down while driving down the road, also replaced the receiver from home with HD, the new receiver does not have coax connections. I can connect HDMI from the receiver directly to the new front TV. This is an issue for the rear TV as it is original and I have not figured out a way to connect out of the receiver back into the selector box for the rear TV. Since it is analog the only signal that works is if a RV park has cable and then only channels 2-13. It will not tune to channels higher than 14. Is there a converter plug to change the HDMI out of the receiver to coax?
What are the new units using for HD units?
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It can be done but it isn't cheap. See HERE for info. The cheap adapters don't work according to the research I did.
Note that HDMI cable can be 50 feet or so long and could be run to the back TV. Might be quite a job though.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

New TV's are pretty cheap in smaller sizes.

For about $200 you can get a wireless HDMI unit that will send the front signals to the back.

Not much help, I guess....

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Ed, unless your box has a coaxial output I would suggest replacing the rear TV. I don't think those converters are very reliable. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you are using the VIP211z receiver, it has HDMI and RCA output. I have been using an adapter in my home for the past 6 + years to go between RCA and Coax. and it works just fine. I recently purchased one for the RV, but have not installed it yet but have tested it at home and it worked fine.

Amazon.com: RF Modulator TV Switch Audio Video RCA Ant Input to F Type Coax Output Converter: Electronics

So, on the back of the 211z, there are both HDMI and RCA output.. they send signals at the same time. You can connect your front TV directly via HDMI and your rear TV take the RCA off the 211Z to the device above and then into your video switch in the coach via Coax.. then just switch as normal thru your coach video switch for the rear TV.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
I replaced the front TV in our 2003 bus due to extreme weight, waiting for the entire overhead console to come down while driving down the road, also replaced the receiver from home with HD, the new receiver does not have coax connections. I can connect HDMI from the receiver directly to the new front TV. This is an issue for the rear TV as it is original and I have not figured out a way to connect out of the receiver back into the selector box for the rear TV. Since it is analog the only signal that works is if a RV park has cable and then only channels 2-13. It will not tune to channels higher than 14. Is there a converter plug to change the HDMI out of the receiver to coax?
What are the new units using for HD units?
Are you using DISH or DirecTV? If it is DISH you need a VIP 211K receiver. It has coax out in SD that will work with your current rear TV. You will have to purchase one online because DISH no longer supplies the 211K for lease.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

I am using Direct TV, it was recommended on another forum that I try an adapter from Radio Shack.
RF Modulator is what I purchased, RCA in and coax out. I plugged it in and it works.
$28.99 plus Tax.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote